British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dump that clutch

Kings Lynn V Swindon - 27-08-2014 @ 19:30

The third heat leader is without doubt the hardest position to fill. He has to race against the top rider every race. Rory is no Niels or Kenneth, but you can't knock his enthusiasm. When the chips are down Rory will stand up and be counted.. Totally agree with your last part. Rides like Kerr, Garrity, Worrall have all benefitted big time from the FTR idea and feel that lambert would probably have done better going that way.

Lets not forget, he's only 16.... :nono:

Don't forget Newman as well who is also cleaning up as a FDR.

You appear to be another fan who can see no wrong in Robert Lambert. and rave about him each time he rides. But like I said I expected more from him this year. You talk about him doubling his average but he could have achieved a 6 CMA just by beating our own and the opposition FTR. That's not taking into account 2nd strings or heat leaders. The fact that his CNA is only 5.49 tell everyone he is not even achieving that. Had he rode this year as a FTR, he would have had easier opposition, rode in more races and his average would have soared. Like I say his Achilles heel is his starting. I find it difficult to understand why he is so bad. Surely when something as important as gating, he has to improve. If he could trap, I have no doubt he would double his scores with ease.

I try to speak as I find. I am not blinded by the fact he's only 16 . Of cause the boy is talented, but if he can't get out of that gate then most of his potential is wasted...

I am not a particular fan of Lambert. I do not rave about him BUT I can see he is doing the job he was employed to do, at home and more importantly away.

He was employed in a team with a points limit. His average to fit into that team was 3 points, he has nearly doubled that. Had every other member of the team achieved even half of that the Stars would be in orbit.

At various points throughout the season every other rider in the team has had very poor scores. I can't be bothered to look it up but I doubt Lambert has scored less than his average, which is what he was employed to do, more than a couple of times.

Don't forget he is doing that on wages earned from riding in one league because the British authorities didn't want to bend the rules to help a British rider, well not one from the eastern side of the country anyway. Kerr is riding EL and PL (scoring and presumably earning well), Rose is riding in three leagues (ditto), NKI enough said regards earning, same for Bjerre. Schlien riders abroad at least once a week and guest at least once a week and even he wanted to ride PL. Porsing rides in Denmark and if I'm to believe what I read on here that's where his best bikes are.

So exactly how the heck Lambert manages to keep his equipment in good enough order to compete with 2 GP riders as he did this week and do the job he is there to do I don't know but it won't be easy.

As I said I'm not a particular fan of Lambert. I support him as I do all young British riders and it pisses me right off when I see people having a go at him but not other team members when they deserve it.

For the record the rider who has most impressd me this season is Kyle Bickley, closely followed by the two McGurk boys. I just hope when they start riding in the league they get a bit more consideration.

• Like 3

You like watching grasstrack aswell SL.Or do they race any form of speedway too.

Woffinden rode PL so maybe it made him look better than he was at that point, Lambert is in the EL

Well said. Who knows what Woffy would have achieved in his first year if he had gone straight into EL.

One thing i do know is if he average was nearly 5.5 he would have still been doing an excellent job and stand out as a natural talent.

Lambert IS a natural talent.

"Passing" in the first 15 metres doesn't count, SF! ;)

8 is a little generous I feel - could agree with 5 or 6.

I only include passes from the middle of bends 1/2 (lap1) onwards lol and there were 8 heats with passes and 11 passes overall :)

He's not the next Michael Lee nor Darcy Ward. He's Robert Lambert and he's 16 FFS.

Sure, he can't gate for toffee but my god he can mix it up. Lucky to have a talent like him at KL.

I agree with all that, But it doesn't hide the fact, that in this years protected format, I expected more from him.

Its just my opinion, based on my logic....

Tai would not have averaged any more than Lambert if he had just ridden Elite League alone at 16 ..

It's not just about averages. It's about the impression they make. The 'wow' factor, if you like.

I haven't seen much of Lambert, but in the matches I have seen I've barely noticed him.

But I'm talking in terms of future World Champions here, which is a bit drastic for any 16 year old. But with a few riders that appear, you just know it.

But the lad is doing very well.

Edited by grachan

I agree with all that, But it doesn't hide the fact, that in this years protected format, I expected more from him.

I think that says more about your expectations than Robert's ability. They were obviously way too high.

• Like 1

So as a 16 year old, not lets forget his age, as a rider in his first year of Speedway at this level , hasnt reached your expectations, do you write him off, or based on this year, do you lower your expectations for next year ?

So as a 16 year old, not lets forget his age, as a rider in his first year of Speedway at this level , hasnt reached your expectations, do you write him off, or based on this year, do you lower your expectations for next year ?

Don't worry, I've already done that. Having witnessed every development of Michael Lee's rise to fame, when I first saw Robert Lambert ride at that tender age, my first thoughts were obviously directed to that of another Kings Lynn Superstar. First impressions were that good. Last year, he continued to impress me. That 21pt max last year was unbelievable, When he was selected in the Stars full team I thought he was ready to take on the world.

But like you say, probably, I expected too much.........

Don't worry, I've already done that. Having witnessed every development of Michael Lee's rise to fame, when I first saw Robert Lambert ride at that tender age, my first thoughts were obviously directed to that of another Kings Lynn Superstar. First impressions were that good. Last year, he continued to impress me. That 21pt max last year was unbelievable, When he was selected in the Stars full team I thought he was ready to take on the world.

But like you say, probably, I expected too much.........

Like you, I too witnessed the rise and fall of Lee, and what a pleasure that was , early doors. Lee hit around a 7.5 average in his first Season ( part season) of top level Speedway in the UK. That in a league that was far more competitive than we witness today. However, that was what 40 years ago( ?) Have you seen anything since then that has even close ? So lets cut the boy Lambert some slack and get on his tour bus in the hope that he too can get to that level, at some point.

Edited by semion

I remember seeing a 16 Morten Risager at P&P and saying, "he's a bit naff" but then watched him average 4.5 over a full season riding at number 2 in a league that didnt protect second strings so much. The year after he got close to 6 in the same position. Fast forward 10 years and he's now a 7.5 PL rider. You just never know.

What I've seen of Lambert he has shown in glimpses some serious talent - I saw him get the fastest time of the night at Poole. But he need to become a lot more consistent.

I remember seeing a 16 Morten Risager at P&P and saying, "he's a bit naff" but then watched him average 4.5 over a full season riding at number 2 in a league that didnt protect second strings so much. The year after he got close to 6 in the same position. Fast forward 10 years and he's now a 7.5 PL rider. You just never know.

What I've seen of Lambert he has shown in glimpses some serious talent - I saw him get the fastest time of the night at Poole. But he need to become a lot more consistent.

More consistent at gating. That is his only issue. Machinery, speed, skill etc is all there. Just that bloody gating. Right now he's a mini Harris

• Like 2