British Speedway Forum

He would not be the first rider to excel in domestic competition and freeze on the big stage, nor will he be the last. Cardiff 2007 proved the man can do it and the years have shown he can mix it with the best, but to me he seems to have "big night nerves". This is a pity as we currently have a dearth of World-class Brits.

Power cut in Vojens apparently.

Power seems to be back though.

No power cut in the stadium, we were puzzled in the stadium why there was long delay between heats 13 & 14, think it was a transmission/satellite issue Edited by Rob B

After Pedersen's outburst on live tv , will he face any disciplinary action? Is there anything in place to deal with that? Reminded me of Boycie hitting Gollob all those years ago

He would not be the first rider to excel in domestic competition and freeze on the big stage, nor will he be the last. Cardiff 2007 proved the man can do it and the years have shown he can mix it with the best, but to me he seems to have "big night nerves". This is a pity as we currently have a dearth of World-class Brits.

He is an enigma. Kelvin called it on Saturday, he won a race superbly, and Kelvin stated he hopes he follows that up in his next race because all season he will have one good GP race and then be totally off the pace next time out.

We know Harris can do it, but why does he only have one good race per GP?

A lot of Harris haters on here, but I like him, he is a racer not just a rider and we need to see him in the mix more to be able to prove that theory.

Don't think he has a lot of haters, just a lot of frustrated fans regarding his inconsistencies and excuses he comes up with.He is a racer but for a few seasons now in the GPs he is not at the races.Seems clueless regarding what is going on with his machinery IMO

• Like 3

We know Harris can do it, but why does he only have one good race per GP?

A lot of Harris haters on here, but I like him, he is a racer not just a rider and we need to see him in the mix more to be able to prove that theory.

Whilst I appreciate Harris has been an excellent servant to Coventry, and does appear to give 100% in every race, aside from a freak spell at the end of 2010, and to a lesser extent his debut season in 2007, Harris hasn't really shown he 'can do it' on a consistent basis, has he? On the contrary he has failed every single year bar one to qualify in the top 8, and there's a strong chance this year he'll finish outside of the top 15. Yes, some riders have to finish outside of the top 8, and that doesn't necessarily make them bad riders, but if we're being honest here, without the benevolence of the organisers, it's unlikely Harris would have ever been in the series, let alone 'enjoyed' a Grand Prix career spanning seven seasons.

To hear Tatum and Pearson describe Harris as 'unlucky' on Saturday night , when his unprecedented Wild Card opportunities probably mark him out as the most fortunate rider in Grand Prix history, really sums up the delusion in the Harris camp and among his biggest supporters. Harris has had year after year of 'free' Grand Prix racing to sort out his machinery for these tracks, and still he can't master it? What makes you think that will ever change? Why should he be given another opportunity to prove himself when there are far better riders out there?

In the British league, Harris IS an exciting racer and a good rider in the main; but in Sweden he is a second string/reserve, and in Poland he doesn't even ride in the top league. Hardly great credentials for a Grand Prix rider, as demonstrated by his absolutely woeful year in the GP's this season.

If the above remarks make me a 'hater', than so be it. I prefer to see them as a realistic analysis of a rider who has largely squandered the ample opportunities he has been afforded...

JT.

Edited by JT
  • Like 5

If the above remarks make me a 'hater', than so be it.

Not at all, you provided reasoned argument about him, unlike many on here. I do agree with you in the respect that he is so lucky to be given continued GP chances, what's worse is I am struggling to think of any other British rider capable of replacing him, maybe Nicholls, but he had his fair share of chances too.

Harris hasn't really shown he 'can do it' on a consistent basis, has he?

This part I disagree with, I think winning Cardiff shown he can do it, and on occasions at each GP he seems to have one good race where he can beat the best, but where I agree is it is not consistent, so usually he will have four bad GP rides and one good GP race.

So where we disagree is I think Harris can do it, but I agree with everything else you wrote, he is lucky and he is inconsistent.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

When an EL team or a PL team can field a side containing 0 British riders, we have very little hope of developing the next Tai Woffinden. Tai excelled in spite of British league speedway, not as a result. I hope I'm not being too contentious here as most of us would love to have the World's best riders regularly riding for British clubs. However, most of the world's best prefer to race regularly elsewhere and a lot of the foreign riders that do race here are second-rate. Scott and Chris are, as far as GP is concerned yesterday's men. They are still class riders and we all know that on their day they can compete with the rest but, Chris Harris is never going to make the World's elite. Tai hopefully has many world titles in him but we need to find British stars who can join him. It's not good enough to only have one man capable of winning a GP.

With Tai,ithink hes been brought up the aussie way,where you fight tooth and nail to achieve their goals,If you look at riders like Harris,Holder,and tai,they are all easy going to speak to but once on a bke,a diff metal approash kicks in.

• Like 1

I quite agree. Talent and ability are only halfof the equation, hence my earlier comment about Chris freezing on the big stage.

After Pedersen's outburst on live tv , will he face any disciplinary action? Is there anything in place to deal with that? Reminded me of Boycie hitting Gollob all those years ago

Why should there be? Kicking paper towels and hitting someone smack in the face are two different things. And it's not the first nor the last time we'll se helmets flying or equipment getting kicked in frustration. From any rider.

• Like 1

You mean like Holder spitting water at the camera? Spitting water at a camera is far worse IMO!

Pedersen showed some anger and frustration in his own pit area, not his fault some twit put a camera on him.

• Like 3

are you having a giraffe??

Why should Pedersen face disciplinary action ? He just got excluded when hes competing for the world championship, kicking a table to let off steam, disciplinary ?????