British Speedway Forum
Main Man

New Track For Milton Keynes

Start the way they mean to carry on, bloody great adverts all over the place months before the opening, get it out there to the people that have never heard of speedway.

Dont think because its in the speedway star every week 3000 people of going to turn up, they have to get the product out to the people in the towns and villages, TV and media involved, get a well known local personally to open the track.

If its coming back work hard to keep it and for heavens sake dont lose it again.

One other thing dont do a Leicester and put together a team that didnt do well at home in the first season, put a team in place that will win the first 6 home matches at least, build up the fan base by having a winning formula from the very first meeting.

Edited by P T Preece

If we listened to 'realists' nothing would EVER be tried or achieved. Actually the word is 'cynic' - a conveniently easy way to be. If something goes wrong you're a brilliant, farsighted expert. If it succeeds you slink away and hope everyone's too busy celebrating to remember what you said.

Easiest win in the book. Impresses some people.

We get some great news and as ever there's someone in the BSF who wants to spoil it.

I don't want to spoil it, but we're talking MK here. Do you think the locals will drive miles to find a field with limited facilities, to watch 3rd tier racing? They didn't want to watch decent racing at a great little track before, so why should they now?

I loved the old track, you could stand next to the fence and look down on to the track, it was brilliant, but not brilliant enough to get the locals out of their front rooms.

I've come up with some very valid points why this is not a great idea in the current speedway climate. Just very surprised you cant see the blinkin obvious, unless of course you think we've got three great leagues in this Country that need more tracks. Most of us "realists" can see the top and bottom divisions are currently poor, and the middle league is being dragged down because the top league is struggling.

Fantastic news for all speedway fans and more importantly MK speedway/motorsports fans.

I find it hard to believe some negative comments, MK as an area has changed out of all context since speedway was last in MK, also our beloved neighbours in Oxford and to a degree Reading have sadly disappeared which in theory should mean there are some die hard speedway fans on our borders!!....for those that are saying MK and MK sports are not well followed by the natives, I can tell you that the ice hockey team in the Town has a good/large and strong following, in excess of a thousand people a week in attendance, I would of thought most Premier and possibly some Elite promoters would welcome that sort of crowd with open arms!

One thing that would be interesting to know is where about's the track would go?...I know that the greyhounds are re-opening at the Towcester race course, so I'm guessing this is purely a purpose built speedway/motorsports venue?

Great news and well done to all concerned.

This is confusing MK Knights/BSPA say new track in MK, but no details, can we have some details? MK Knights website issue a statement that they are confused that their logo is used without them knowing anything.

Is there any connection from the right hand to the left hand.

In view of their success, have the new national speedway stadium in Manchester constructors being involved as consultants.

Firstly, I DO wish this venture well.

However, you say think of the MK fans, but, realistically how many people is that? As a previous poster said, they weren't too well supported over 20 years ago, how many of those are still likely to be interested? Also, fans of other clubs, even defunct ones, don't tend to change allegiance. The best hope would be attracting a new generation of fans but as other clubs are finding out, how?

Edited by Sotonian

I have always wondered why speedway disappeared from Milton Keynes, without being replaced. Don't get me wrong, I remember the problems with Elfield with the local residents, which probably caused the eventual demise. With such a concentrate of people, it should work, in theory. And motor sport is in the area anyway, i.e. Santa Pod and Silverstone.

The Bspa Killed it Ray .Instead of helping Terry Cheney when it became obvious that he was struggling to run his print business as well as the speedway , they decided to help themselves to his bond by levying spurious and ridiculous fines over track conditions etc until they broke him . he walked away and they graabed what little was left ,

• Like 2

This is confusing MK Knights/BSPA say new track in MK, but no details, can we have some details? MK Knights website issue a statement that they are confused that their logo is used without them knowing anything.

Is there any connection from the right hand to the left hand.

In view of their success, have the new national speedway stadium in Manchester constructors being involved as consultants.

Yes it is a bit confusing isn't it.

Someone somewhere owns the rights/licence to run Milton Keynes Speedway possibly since it's demise in 1993, but, not necessarily the rights to use the term "Milton Keynes knights" as this appears to be owned by someone else (the chapmans maybe?). It does appear odd why one didn't know of the others existance, as they both must be known by the BSPA. :oops:

Edited by Deano

Yes it is a bit confusing isn't it.

Someone somewhere owns the rights/licence to run Milton Keynes Speedway possibly since it's demise in 1993, but, not necessarily the rights to use the term "Milton Keynes knights" as this appears to be owned by someone else (the chapmans maybe?). It does appear odd why one didn't know of the others existance, as they both must be known by the BSPA. :oops:

How and why.

PRESS RELEASE from Milton Keynes KNIGHTS Speedway :

22 years after the doors closed on speedway at Milton Keynes , fans of the Knights can be encouraged that moves are afoot to revive the sport in the town.

The Knights have kept the team name alive in the last few years running a Milton Keynes side in the Midland Development League being based at Rye House previously and Mildenhall in 2014. The side were crowned MDL champions in 2012 and are currently top of the 2014 league.

The sport ran from 1978 to 1988 at The Groveway before moving to Elfield Park in 1989 until the final meeting in 1992.

Now suitable land has been sourced in the area for speedway to return and a Promoter and backers are in place. The BSPA have met the prospective promotion and an in-principle agreement is in place to see a return of the sport to Milton Keynes in 2015.

How and why.

See the highlighted part of the Original Post I have quoted above Dave.

How and why.

I would have thought that if the MDL team were leasing the name "knights" and they would have had permission from the BSPA to run a speedway franchise, then the BSPA would be aware of that set up. Then in another conversation the new separate promotion have had talks with the BSPA to open a new track.

Therefore in conclusion the BSPA must have known both parties. Unless I'm missing something?

No you have not come up with valid points. You made a very spurious and negative comment about rider availability and when challenged then fell back onto claiming that the local residents wouldn't allow it. These aren't valid points, they're clutching at straws to try to win an argument and appear clever. It's failed.

Why can't you just celebrate the possibility of us regaining a track and not look for every negative point you can find?

I lost my track forty years ago and if someone was looking to replace it now I'd also treat such unnecessary negativity with the contempt it deserves. Think of the MK fans not your own ego.

The poster has come up with valid points, just they aren't yours which is no doubt heavily influenced by your involvement with the well known guy who makes big statements about opening up tracks but apart from Wimbledon and Rye House which both needed bailing out by others who could actually do the job, hasn't come up with the goods including my old team Norwich a couple of years ago.

Anyway like I said before, the guy in question wouldn't be allowed a licence anyway!

I agree that if anyone listened to the realists and indeed your own sanity, no one would ever open speedway tracks given the perilous nature of speedway in this Country and the incredible amounts of red tape you have to get through when applying for planning permission, but it does happen every now and again and can be successfull. But to do so you you need incredibly deep pockets, good business skills, good people skills and not get carried away romancing about what you are going to do, all aspects your mate aparently struggles with.

I lost my original team Norwich Stars 50 years ago this October so while I've heard it many times before about Norwich speedway reopening I kept an open mind about you mates plans 2-3 years back despite his poor record in the past but unfortunately my fears came true!

As for Milton Keynes, its well known it struggled for crowds over 20 years at two different venues and it done extremely well to survive as long as it did.

Like I said before Milton Keynes was a track and team that needed the 3rd Division forming 10 - 15 years earlier than it did the same as the likes of Workington, Barrow, Birmingham at the Wheels project, Ellesmere Port and the various training tracks of the 1980's like Iwade, Felton, Farringdon, and Matchams Park. Mildenhall and Stoke probably wouldn't have shut in the early 1990's if the 3rd Division had been around then as well!

I really hope that we see another track built in Milton Keynes but the above factors need to be considered, though its not a dead cert that reopening tracks where the sport struggled in the past means they will struggle again.

Mildenhall shut in 1989 and 1992 probably because of struggling to make 2nd tier racing viable. Now Mildenhall get decent crowds, levels that many higher League tracks would be envious off!

Scunthorpe had a similar history to Milton Keynes when they ran from 1971-85 in that they always struggled for crowds at two different venues. But since reopening in 2005 under the very astute promotion of Rob Godfrey (nows there a proper promotor!) it has been viable due to the training schools, stock cars and tight budgeting plan used by Godfrey.

Workington shut in 1981 due to poor crowds and then reopened in 1985 for open meetings but fared the same as 1981. Workington looked like a venue that would never see speedway ever again but fast forward to 1999 and the multi track promotor reopened and Workington was for a few years one of the best supported speedways in the Country and although crowds have gone down it is still a viable operation today!

Good luck to the new track plans in Milton Keynes!

Edited by 25yearfan

The poster has come up with valid points, just they aren't yours which is no doubt heavily influenced by your involvement with the well known guy who makes big statements about opening up tracks but apart from Wimbledon and Rye House which both needed bailing out by others who could actually do the job, hasn't come up with the goods including my old team Norwich a couple of years ago.

Anyway like I said before, the guy in question wouldn't be allowed a licence anyway!

I agree that if anyone listened to the realists and indeed your own sanity, no one would ever open speedway tracks given the perilous nature of speedway in this Country and the incredible amounts of red tape you have to get through when applying for planning permission, but it does happen every now and again and can be successfull. But to do so you you need incredibly deep pockets, good business skills, good people skills and not get carried away romancing about what you are going to do, all aspects your mate aparently struggles with.

I lost my original team Norwich Stars 50 years ago this October so while I've heard it many times before about Norwich speedway reopening I kept an open mind about you mates plans 2-3 years back despite his poor record in the past but unfortunately my fears came true!

As for Milton Keynes, its well known it struggled for crowds over 20 years at two different venues and it done extremely well to survive as long as it did.

Like I said before Milton Keynes was a track and team that needed the 3rd Division forming 10 - 15 years earlier than it did the same as the likes of Workington, Barrow, Birmingham at the Wheels project, Ellesmere Port and the various training tracks of the 1980's like Iwade, Felton, Farringdon, and Matchams Park. Mildenhall and Stoke probably wouldn't have shut in the early 1990's if the 3rd Division had been around then as well!

I really hope that we see another track built in Milton Keynes but above the above factors need to be considered, though its not a dead cert that reopening tracks where the sport struggled in the past means they will struggle again.

Mildenhall shut in 1989 and 1992 probably because of struggling to make 2nd tier racing viable. Now Mildenhall get decent crowds, levels that many higher League tracks would be envious off!

Scunthorpe had a similar history to Milton Keynes when they ran from 1971-85 in that they always struggled for crowds at two different venues. But since reopening in 2005 under the very astute promotion of Rob Godfrey (nows there a proper promotor!) it has been viable due to the training schools, stock cars and tight budgeting plan used by Godfrey.

Workington shut in 1981 due to poor crowds and then reopened in 1985 for open meetings but fared the same as 1981. Workington looked like a venue that would nevere see speedway ever again but fast forward to 1999 and the multi track promotor reopened and Workington was for a few years one of the best supported speedways in the Country and although crowds have gone down it is still a viable operation today!

Good luck to the new track plans in Milton Keynes!

Coventry Knightd !!!

Would be interesting to know the people behind this before we get too excited. Too many chancers out there. In fact there's a few people who have a history of announcing the opening of new tracks but in reality doing no such thing.

I run a wholesale business in MK supplying to the construction industry, so as you can imagine I keep a close eye on any projects going on in the area including planning applications etc. We are based a stones throw from Elfield Park and I can't say I'm aware of this, hopefully it will become a reality though.

Being up and running for next season sounds highly unlikely to me when they don't even have a track yet, I'm not trying to burst any bubbles but I can't help but think this doesn't sound quite right.

If it is a reality then I would be happy to help out with some discounted goods for the new stadium and dish out some flyers on our busy trade counter when it's ready to open so if the promoters read this then please feel free to get in touch.

• Like 1