British Speedway Forum
Main Man

New Track For Milton Keynes

If it is a reality then I would be happy to help out with some discounted goods for the new stadium and dish out some flyers on our busy trade counter when it's ready to open so if the promoters read this then please feel free to get in touch.

This is the reason why I love speedway. Not just for the excitment of racing, but the way fans want to help out at every opportunity. :t:

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

it won't be Alan Phillips that's for sure!

Steve Ribbons ??

I would have thought that if the MDL team were leasing the name "knights" and they would have had permission from the BSPA to run a speedway franchise, then the BSPA would be aware of that set up. Then in another conversation the new separate promotion have had talks with the BSPA to open a new track.

Therefore in conclusion the BSPA must have known both parties. Unless I'm missing something?

The reason I asked is, is the the current team just using a name and being run by a group enthusiasts running a team with no assets or track. Is there someone from the last promotion, who owns the title or has the business promotion has since folded, therefore it is fair game for everyone to use "Knights" as it doesn't belong to anyone. If no-one owns it, they would be free to use it as the current nomads would not have title ownership on the name they were using. I said "why" because why should the BSPA need to know if a private company(the last promotion) is still a company and still running, if they are no longer involved at all in speedway. Surely the BSPA can't, or don't need to know, the commercial status of every track promotion that is dormant and not involved in current speedway.

This would be an absolute dream come true for me if this was to happen!!

I can only hope this is the case?

I must admit I find it staggering that people assume they won't get the crowds just because they didn't 20-25 years ago!!

In 1981 the population of the Borough of Milton Keynes was around 120,000. Now it is over 250,000 I believe?

The place is unrecognisable to what it was. Yuo may as well be talking about 2 different places!!

I think it would be a good catchment area for NL racing at least right now. The nearest tracks are Coventry, Peterborough, Mildenhall, Leicester and Rye House. They are all pretty much 1 hour away minimum.

I'll be there anyway so thats an attendance of 1 so far..... :)

• Like 1

Steve Ribbons ??

The reason I asked is, is the the current team just using a name and being run by a group enthusiasts running a team with no assets or track. Is there someone from the last promotion, who owns the title or has the business promotion has since folded, therefore it is fair game for everyone to use "Knights" as it doesn't belong to anyone. If no-one owns it, they would be free to use it as the current nomads would not have title ownership on the name they were using. I said "why" because why should the BSPA need to know if a private company(the last promotion) is still a company and still running, if they are no longer involved at all in speedway. Surely the BSPA can't, or don't need to know, the commercial status of every track promotion that is dormant and not involved in current speedway.

I hope it isn't the man in bold, if it is I can't believe he'd have the cheek to try again.

Anyway, I'll hold my hands up as you will know more about the commercial running of speedway more than I'll ever know. Fingers crossed you'll be making the trip to brum again next season (be good to catch up again ;) ) the good news is both fanchises working together for one goal. Just for food for thought though, Tony Mole bought the rights to Birmingham Speedway while it was at the wheels project and he closed it at the end of the season. Someone somewhere may have done the same when Milton Keynes folded.

From the Speedway Regulations;

"These rules cover the MIDLAND Development League (MDL) & NORTHERN Junior League (NJL).
21.1 A prior Application to use an historical name (ie. a defunct team) or alternative team name (other than the name of the Clubs staging track), must be made to the BSPA.
21.1.1 Should a Club be permitted to use an historical name, then the Club will be required to have an Associate registered to administer that Club."
  • Like 1

From the Speedway Regulations;

"These rules cover the MIDLAND Development League (MDL) & NORTHERN Junior League (NJL).
21.1 A prior Application to use an historical name (ie. a defunct team) or alternative team name (other than the name of the Clubs staging track), must be made to the BSPA.
21.1.1 Should a Club be permitted to use an historical name, then the Club will be required to have an Associate registered to administer that Club."

I am just wondering, how the BSPA could/would know if a defunct promotion was still a company, and had the rights to use the name. In particular, if the remains of the defunct promotion had sold out to an unknown person. Never mind. As long as the new promotion is allowed to use the Knights, as traditional team names mean a lot to all fans,e.g, Reading Racers/BSI.

I hope it isn't the man in bold, if it is I can't believe he'd have the cheek to try again.

Anyway, I'll hold my hands up as you will know more about the commercial running of speedway more than I'll ever know. Fingers crossed you'll be making the trip to brum again next season (be good to catch up again ;)) the good news is both fanchises working together for one goal. Just for food for thought though, Tony Mole bought the rights to Birmingham Speedway while it was at the wheels project and he closed it at the end of the season. Someone somewhere may have done the same when Milton Keynes folded.

I will be.

I am just wondering, how the BSPA could/would know if a defunct promotion was still a company, and had the rights to use the name. In particular, if the remains of the defunct promotion had sold out to an unknown person. Never mind. As long as the new promotion is allowed to use the Knights, as traditional team names mean a lot to all fans,e.g, Reading Racers/BSI.

Don't all promoters licences revert to the BSPA when a team ceases to operate? The Isle of Wight promoting company still exists but their licence was 'put on ice' when they decided not to compete this season. I assume that if they decided to return next season they would be subject to checks on their suitability to promote the same as any new promotion.

Don't all promoters licences revert to the BSPA when a team ceases to operate? The Isle of Wight promoting company still exists but their licence was 'put on ice' when they decided not to compete this season. I assume that if they decided to return next season they would be subject to checks on their suitability to promote the same as any new promotion.

Yes, I would assume they would.

I was thinking more longer term than the likes of IOW, who owns the original company and what rights they had acquired and owned. It could have been passed on or bought out, but I don't know of any procedure or any interest to monitor every company that once ran speedway.

Aberdeen

"Tonight I can reveal to you that definite moves are afoot to bring speedway to Aberdeen next season with a number of open meetings. The persons responsible have already got a stadium which will be ideal for the sport and are currently trying to get planning permission."

Dave Thomson (Glasgow programme editorial 27th May 1983)

Sadly planning permission was not to be forthcoming and the Northern track lights of old Aberdeen remain darkened to this day.

Coventry Knightd !!!

great minds think alike!, I said the same thing to my mates at eastbourne last night. Two years in the NL, then the bees move in!

"no one would ever open speedway tracks given the perilous nature of speedway in this Country and the incredible amounts of red tape you have to get through when applying for planning permission, but it does happen every now and again and can be successfull. But to do so you you need incredibly deep pockets, good business skills, good people skills and not get carried away romancing about what you are going to do"

And the most incredible self-belief, confidence, focus, patience, vision, an extremely think skin and a little bit of luck. Simples really. Notice I didn't say the odd loose screw though that may help also (!)

Hope the potential Milton Keynes project happens, new tracks are always welcome and postiive news....

Wasn't Terry Cheyney the last promoter in MK. Many tracks used his companies programme printing enterprise afterwards unless I'm making 2+2=5

great minds think alike!, I said the same thing to my mates at eastbourne last night. Two years in the NL, then the bees move in!

you should have introduced us..