British Speedway Forum
weatherwatcher

Over Seas Riders

This week alone has seen 2 riders from Eorope, who have failed to ride for thier British Elite League team being given the old heave ho by thier team. Not sure how many have done the same thing this season alone. I may be wrong but I think it started with the 2 riders at my team Leicester that just never came back and stated that they where not riding over here any longer.

There have been quite a few cases like this I think.

It is time that the rules where altered and the riders that have signed for a team stay until the season is over, unless of course they have turned out to be utter useless.

Not only is it bad for the sport, it is also bad for the promoters who have to find replacement riders to cover a meeting and also long term for the team at very short notice.

If this carries on, then I think the argument of not having overseas riders is slowly coming to a head.

The only ones who seem to stay the cause of the season are the Aussie lads.

So think they could well be kept in the offering but we would then be looking to keep the rest of the team an all British affair.

• Like 1

Fair point - it may mean the dilution of British Speedway for a year or two - but - as British lads come through and develop we just might, eventually, be able to field a Great Britain Team in the World Cup that is worthy of the name.

• Like 2

Yes it has been far to long, since we could hold our heads up high. We just have not done enough for our own young riders, these last 10 to 15 years. Being content to bring in second rate riders at reserve. And riders in the main teams, that couldn't even bother if they won or not as long as they got a pay day and all expenses paid. While our own young riders just had to sit back and suffer and could do very little about it.

• Like 2

2? MJJ, Pawlicki and Bech is 3.

Also, if you don't want rider to be able to quit then you can't sack riders either

Problem is that, despite the promoters grumbling about riders not turning up, but these same riders get picked by other gullible clubs the next season.

• Like 1

Simply dont sign these riders from Europe, if we are only 3rd choice for them then dont use them. There must be enough riders to go around without putting the begging bowls out to riders who use and basically abuse the system, 6 Man Teams to begin. I havent counted but probably 2 x 14 Team Leagues and Play Offs at the end between the 2 Leagues.

Also it needs Teams running a better balance of fixtures None of this riding 1/3 of the fixtures by end of July then 2/3rds of fixtures within the last month, utter rubbish planning but we have put up with it year in, year out, make a stand if the fixtures are NOT balanced out over a season, then dont buy a season Ticket.

Simply dont sign these riders from Europe, if we are only 3rd choice for them then dont use them. There must be enough riders to go around without putting the begging bowls out to riders who use and basically abuse the system, 6 Man Teams to begin. I havent counted but probably 2 x 14 Team Leagues and Play Offs at the end between the 2 Leagues.

there are enough riders to go round but as TWK said above it would mean the temporary dilution of standards which frankly is fine by me

Fair point - it may mean the dilution of British Speedway for a year or two - but - as British lads come through and develop we just might, eventually, be able to field a Great Britain Team in the World Cup that is worthy of the name.

But are there sufficient numbers of British lads to come through?

When I started going to speedway in the late sixties, League 2 riders were plentiful. They included semi-veterans dropping down/coming out of retirement, grass track riders transferring across, many youngsters and even a policeman (John Hibben) having a go. I have read about the Collins brothers & Chris Morton developing their skills on farms, wasteland etc. But with the demise of grasstrack and much wider range of hobbies now on offer I wonder just why and how a 16 year old in 2014 is going to give it a go unless their speedway knowledgeable father or uncle etc sets them up.

• Like 2

Also it needs Teams running a better balance of fixtures None of this riding 1/3 of the fixtures by end of July then 2/3rds of fixtures within the last month, utter rubbish planning but we have put up with it year in, year out, make a stand if the fixtures are NOT balanced out over a season, then dont buy a season Ticket.

Is there? Is that why the EL teams have 2 NL riders riding for them (don't be kidded by the so called "Fast Track System") and PL riders Doubling up, down and sideways?

On your last point (fixtures), the rain/weather soon botches all hope of better balanced fixtures, which is why you have teams (in the PL at least), riding 2 or 3 home matches in a week and double-headers 2 or 3 weeks running.

Is there? Is that why the EL teams have 2 NL riders riding for them (don't be kidded by the so called "Fast Track System") and PL riders Doubling up, down and sideways?

On your last point (fixtures), the rain/weather soon botches all hope of better balanced fixtures, which is why you have teams (in the PL at least), riding 2 or 3 home matches in a week and double-headers 2 or 3 weeks running.

Simple answer. Meeting rained off, you have 28 day to run it. If you don't the BSPA award the points - probably to the away team

Simple answer. Meeting rained off, you have 28 day to run it. If you don't the BSPA award the points - probably to the away team

That would still botch the fixtures up though, as all you'd be doing is moving another fixture to later in the season.

Steve i almost hesitate to reply fearing scorn from all sides but i actually do believe there are enough riders. If you list the number of young men who have drifted away from the sport over the last few years due to lack of opportunity at league level it would come to a fair few. Also if you replaced DU PL riders with riders in NL who should be PL (there are plenty of them who have been there for 2/3 years or more) you could staff teams, albiet with a dilution in strength initially

having said that the fast track should be via PL not direct to EL and the likes of Lawson, Cook, etc should be EL exclusively

That would still botch the fixtures up though, as all you'd be doing is moving another fixture to later in the season.

That obviously wouldn't be allowed. Once a fixture is agreed, only called off for rain or absolute necessity and they are investigated if need be. any meeting improperly called off results in 0 points for the home team and the BSPA determining if the away team should have points.

Have these rules in place and you'll soon see fixture completed and less dodgy call offs as clubs wont want to risk investigations.

That obviously wouldn't be allowed. Once a fixture is agreed, only called off for rain or absolute necessity and they are investigated if need be. any meeting improperly called off results in 0 points for the home team and the BSPA determining if the away team should have points.

Have these rules in place and you'll soon see fixture completed and less dodgy call offs as clubs wont want to risk investigations.

I see what your getting at. A bit like Cricket. One problem I can think of is - what happens to all those who have season tickets and lose matches because the clubs can't/won't find an alternative/suitable date?

As far as points awarded go, the home team could offer the away team dates, but the away could be unwilling to fulfill the fixture (for whatever reason), then, under your system, I think the home team should get some (or at least one) point(s), as they have made an effort to re-arrange the fixture. After all, it's no ones fault if it rains!

Quite a simple one that if the away team fail to agree to a date within the 28 day period then the home team get the points.

No problem. I am sure that within the 28 day period that the 2 teams can surely manage to find a free day in that time to re stage the meeting.