British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Worrying Rye House Rumours

Is this statistically the worst Rye team ever. I know it's not on paper but maybe on the track. Bring back razz a and Trevor o' brien

I moved away from England 4 years ago and consequently, only went to my first Rye House meeting this summer in that time. I was really shocked and saddened by the state of the stadium, it's become unacceptably shabby. It was, frankly, depressing. The installation of the air-fence means that there is no view from either end now. There are piles of rubble everywhere and weeds are re-claiming the site. And it wasn't just the stadium. There hasn't been a competitive team for several years now. They no longer sell beer on draft and even their famed fish and chips are rubbish now. It all did have the feel of a club in its death throes. I have absolutely no issue with Uncle Len - at 82, it stands to reason he's going to have less and less energy for speedway, but I fear for the future. Fingers crossed though, I'd hate to see the place go :-(

• Like 6

why doesn't Andrew Silver step up to the plate and take over the running of Rye House speedway?

the place needs a real good shake up...

why doesn't Andrew Silver step up to the plate and take over the running of Rye House speedway?

I don't think he's interested in any more involvement than running the training school and helping out a few riders.

Problem with the current promoter is that he likes to be hands on. Doubt he'd hand over control to anyone else. Whoever took over the day to day running of the club would have him looking over their shoulder 24/7. Who'd put up with that?

Yes I remember. Did the law ever Nick anyone for that. I heard the culprit smashed their way into the stadium with a wooden Mallet but it could just be a rumour[/.

Maybe you should ask the Mallett family or the law to see the paper work concerning this matter of who destroyed the track ..

Had it on good authority that the BBC are planning an "unreality show" sometime after Easter 2015 for early Sunday evenings. It will be called the "BSPA shows common sense" so rumours that a switch to a Sunday evening would appear unlikely as there is no way Mr Silver would be influenced by anything as menial as a TV broadcast.

Less flippantly I do fear for the future of Rye House and the sport in general..............I do hope I am wrong.

For all the faults of Rye this year at least Len pays the riders in FULL and ON TIME, this he should get respect for, just look at Peterborough (although there was never a problem at Peterborough or Oxford before, or was there?) And to think that Steve Ribbons was regarded as not a fit and proper person to be a promotor.

I hope this year at Rye was all about a small budget due to the installation of the air fence, as I say I hope, as having lost Rye before I so hope we don't go there again.

• Like 2

If it is just rumour then Rye House themselves can stop them, I take they do press releases.

They most certainly do and appear not only on their own website but several other websites and Facebook. There is also coverage in the speedway and local press. The PR material is top class. Full marks there to Craig Saul.

Edited by Guest

For all the faults of Rye this year at least Len pays the riders in FULL and ON TIME, this he should get respect for

No he shouldn't its a basic principle of any employer/employee relationship and should go without saying.

• Like 2

Of course he should, but this is speedway and not any normal working relationship,

After all I understood that a club had to pay a bond of £20,000 (I think)to the BSPA so this sorry situation can never be repeated, but there again that would happen in a normal working relationship.

Len sat near me in the grandstand for the whole meeting at the showground yesterday. Very unusual for a promoter not to be with his riders in the pits.

Len sat near me in the grandstand for the whole meeting at the showground yesterday. Very unusual for a promoter not to be with his riders in the pits.

Maybe he's seen the light and is letting the team manager get on with it