British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Lucan

Comets Scrap Two Fixtures.

so you only post on breaks,,, when your gaffer is keeping an eye on how long your taking ???,,, a see ;-)

It's more about using Bandwith, rather than when I post :wink:

Almost certainly a very simple answer to all of this.

The brief report outlining how busy the Comets would be in the next few days while still falling two fixtures short of completing their fixtures before the play-off cut-off fails to include any phrase along the lines of "... these will still be staged before the end of the season but won't have an impact on the play-off qualifiers".

Perhaps that sort of phrase was included by whoever sent this report to the News & Star sportsdesk but got sub-edited out to make the report fit into the right space on the newspaper page (and wasn't then re-instated when the report was put online where there's far less pressure on how much space is taken up by any particular article).

The headline, including the all-important word "scrapped", would only have been added by someone at the sportsdesk in Carlisle where it can't be guaranteed that whoever's on duty has a useful knowledge of speedway given the nearest team's 35 miles away.

All it needs is for that headline-writer to see no hint in the article of the missing fixtures still being fitted in a few weeks later and, hey presto, the word "scrapped" is an obvious one to use within the headline ... and, also hey presto, you've got nearly 60 posts on this thread.

But what remains daft is that no-one from several different angles has done anything to correct this misjudged website headline for more than 2 days !! ... all it would surely take is anyone connected with the News & Star with good speedway knowledge, or anyone officially connected with the Comets, or even a couple of Comets fans ringing up the News & Star sports desk to query the headline and get it changed to get rid of this confusion.

Very few (if any) other sports have a habit of staging regular-season fixtures that don't count towards post-season qualifications ... the moral of this article (for any team or paper rather than just the Comets and the News & Star) is to make sure whoever supplies any fixture-update like this makes it abundantly clear about these meetings' unusual situation.

you sure you're real name ain't Arthur Pringle? :)

why is it on the facebook page. it should be in your face on the official site under news

spot on there's far to much info kept from supporters these days,, any so called elite riders who don't want to ride over here lets say bye and it would be nice to join the the 3 leagues together and( fast track) but I would rather say bring young british talent on and if rules still state there must be a point limit why not have 40 points for the top 5 and then 2 young brits which must be of the in the same bracket as the likes of max clegg the 2 greenwood lads james sergant etc.. the likes of steve Worrall jay garrity kyle newman are far to good to be fast track reserves.. but respect to the lads for giving the elite league a go this season

why is it on the facebook page. it should be in your face on the official site under news

It's on the Facebook page because someone asked them, it's not the first time fixtures will have been completed after the cut off date for the playoffs. "Scrapped" shouldn't been used.

The 'Southern' teams don't want them, apparently, so it gets out-voted every time. I still think the 4TT qualifiers are the fairest way to decide who reaches the final/semi final, so we at least agree on that!! :party:

given that the Southern group has only a third of the teams there must be a few of the Northern teams that dont want them either or there woukd be a simple majority in any vote.

Never met a fan yet who is against the 4s qualifiers.... They are always well supported, but when have they ever listened to the fans? It's pathetic that one of the big events is contested without a few teams, not even having the chance to qualify.

Edited by Arson fire
  • Like 1

Never met a fan yet who is against the 4s qualifiers.... They are always well supported, but when have they ever listened to the fans? It's pathetic that one of the big events is contested without a few teams, not even having the chance to qualify.

count me in as one Southerner who would welcome the qualifiers with open arms.

Fair enough but is qualification not based on averages?

yeah, but not really fair is it.

Surely at the yearly pi55 up they could devise a formula for all to participate and at least have a change, same for the pairs.

Never met a fan yet who is against the 4s qualifiers....

I've never met a fan who wants the 4's never mind another meeting date for qualifying. The appetite for these type of meetings has diminished rapidly in recent years. The Pairs has had an extended lease of life being attached to the British GP weekend but otherwise time has to move on. Ditch the league cup and straight on with the league from day 1 next year IMO.

I've never met a fan who wants the 4's never mind another meeting date for qualifying. The appetite for these type of meetings has diminished rapidly in recent years. The Pairs has had an extended lease of life being attached to the British GP weekend but otherwise time has to move on. Ditch the league cup and straight on with the league from day 1 next year IMO.

erm... It's probably diminished because the 4s qualifiers haven't happend.

You are genuinely the first I've heard not to want them back in favour of other meaningless meetings or the prem trophy.

• Like 1

yeah, but not really fair is it.

Surely at the yearly pi55 up they could devise a formula for all to participate and at least have a change, same for the pairs.

they probly do devise a formula,,, but then can't remember, who the ffff, said what, hic,,,

erm... It's probably diminished because the 4s qualifiers haven't happend.

You are genuinely the first I've heard not to want them back in favour of other meaningless meetings or the prem trophy.

yeah,,, I liked the qualfiers :-)

Rose-tinted spectacles.

Speedway was run no better in the seventies than it is now... or have you forgotten meetings being staged in November, a final being staged before a semi-final (1978 Midland Cup) or seasons starting with guests on both sides because of the fallout caused by Rider Control and riders being allocated where they didn't want to go???

All the best

Rob

Mere technicalities Rob, :D what I was saying was that with 20 odd teams in the league back then you were looking at 40 odd matches + KO Cup, nowadays we only have thirteen clubs playing 24 + another 4 for no real reason anymore and we cant get em in, it still rained in the seventies so we cant keep using that as an excuse, and we still get guest riders to help fulfil matches?

I bow to your more insider knowledge of club affairs but the point still remains that through one way or another those seasons always got finished, (and I dont remember that many double headers being required to do so) and I never said run better just asked how it was acheived? ;)

PS,

What's wrong with running meetings in November if it helps complete the season, if it's cold put a big coat on!! :P

Well the obvious answer is to run the season from February to November and extend the Play off teams to eight but will the BSPA listen to the fans....we will see next year.

[topaz325, on 10 Sept 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Well the obvious answer is to run the season from February to November and extend the Play off teams to eight but will the BSPA listen to the fans....we will see next year.

/quote] It was a wind up post... :lol:

Edited by topaz325