British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Final Round British Short Track Championship

The final round of the British Short Track Championship will take place at Rye House on Sunday 21st September with the titles still to be decided in most classes including the Pro class.

The meeting is split into two parts with the Youth, Minibike, Vintage and Rookie classes being run from 10.30 and the Restricted, Thunderbike and Pro classes following on at about 2pm.

Rye House really suits our bikes and with so much to play for and 12 riders per race there should be plenty of thrills and spills and it's free to spectate!

• Like 1

The final round of the British Short Track Championship will take place at Rye House on Sunday 21st September with the titles still to be decided in most classes including the Pro class.

The meeting is split into two parts with the Youth, Minibike, Vintage and Rookie classes being run from 10.30 and the Restricted, Thunderbike and Pro classes following on at about 2pm.

Rye House really suits our bikes and with so much to play for and 12 riders per race there should be plenty of thrills and spills and it's free to spectate!

That looks a tempting venture for me to attend. Sadly though, Short Track seems to have lost some of its momentum - we hear so little about it these days. My main source of interest and following the class seems to have dried up since 2013 -

http://www.shorttrackuk.com/fixtures.html

An odd turn round for the class when you consider that Flat Track is bigger than speedway in the USA? Thinking back, it was only a couple of years that we had contact with the Americans - what has happened?

That looks a tempting venture for me to attend. Sadly though, Short Track seems to have lost some of its momentum - we hear so little about it these days. My main source of interest and following the class seems to have dried up since 2013 -

http://www.shorttrackuk.com/fixtures.html

An odd turn round for the class when you consider that Flat Track is bigger than speedway in the USA? Thinking back, it was only a couple of years that we had contact with the Americans - what has happened?

Try www.dirttrackriders.co.uk instead.

Many thanks for the link alkadera. I really appreciate this.

http://www.dirttrackriders.co.uk/

Definitely still growing in this country with record entries this year. The top two in the British Championship also get to race in the Super Prestigio event in Spain against Marquez and some other Moto GP riders as well as some good Americans, last year the AMA Champion Brad Baker was the event winner. There is a training camp being run in Spain later this year by Kenny Noyes, this year with help from top American Sammy Halbert who is also attending the DTRA awards evening.

Aidan Collins recently won the latest round of the European Championships and is generally accepted to be the best rider in Europe although he is now being challenged hard by some of the younger British riders. The standard seems to be rising rapidly in this country and it is becoming one of the favourite training techniques for the Worlds best Road Racers. How long or whether it will catch on as a spectator sport in this country I don't really know but at its best it can be great to watch.

Edited by Vince
  • Like 1

I wonder why Rye House have not publicised a motorcycle meeting like this? I know it's not speedway but it is small track motorcycle racing and using their facilities.

Edited by Guest

I criticised Rye House too soon!

Sheen Jr at Rye House!
Rye House Stadium plays host to the sixth and final round of the 2014 UK Dirt Track Championship tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon – with an added bonus.
Amongst those seeing action will be Freddie Sheene, who is the son of legendary former World Champion and 1970s road racing idol Barry Sheene!
Sheene has already tweeted a couple of pictures from today’s practice session at Rye House which can be seen athttps://twitter.com/FSheene.
The first race tomorrow is scheduled for 1pm, and admission is totally FREE!
Further details can be found here: http://www.dirttrackriders.co.uk/.

A good practice session today, the Neave brothers were at it like a World Championship depended on every session so I think there will be some fireworks between them and the rest of the top half dozen in the country tomorrow.

Quite a few French lads over as well showing excellent dress sense allied to complete madness whenever they get near a bike :-)

Should be a good day of racing and if you only come to the afternoon event should move at a good pace with only 3 groups racing.

Had quite a long chat with Len today and those who think he's losing his marbles should be looking in the mirror first, the old boy might not do things the way some want him to but he certainly has all his faculties.

Seems like the racing made for great spectating yesterday with the British Championship being decided by a collision between the contenders on the penultimate lap, the little I saw of the racing was excellent and there was no risk that spectators wouldn't have enjoyed themselves.