British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Glasgow Tigers V Newcastle Diamonds Ko Cup Sunday 28th September At 3pm

Hardly surprising with the mucking about of start time. Speedway and Glasgow speedway need the decent travelling support Newcastle usually bring to boost numbers but they dont seem to realise it

That's why I'm not going.

The Glasgow Promotion issued a news release on Monday which stated:-

"The change to start time has been brought about by us requiring additional time for 3 of our riders to travel back to Glasgow from meeting’s the evening before – Tero is competing in Finland, whilst Saturday night is also the re-staging date for the FIM Europe U21 Championship Final (Rybnik, Poland) which both Victor and Kasper have qualified for. All three riders have secured passage back to Scotland on Sunday, however a 5pm start will allow them vital travel and preparation time ahead of lining-up to face the Diamonds."

Although they were tardy in publicising this information, under the circumstances, imo, it was not an unreasonable course of action taken by them.

• Like 1

"The change to start time has been brought about by us requiring additional time for 3 of our riders to travel back to Glasgow from meeting’s the evening before – Tero is competing in Finland, whilst Saturday night is also the re-staging date for the FIM Europe U21 Championship Final (Rybnik, Poland) which both Victor and Kasper have qualified for. All three riders have secured passage back to Scotland on Sunday, however a 5pm start will allow them vital travel and preparation time ahead of lining-up to face the Diamonds."

Although they were tardy in publicising this information, under the circumstances, imo, it was not an unreasonable course of action taken by them.

Agreed - but - how long were the Promotion going to allow things to drift without informing the most important people - the PAYING SUPPORTERS?

It is indicative of why Speedway is on the slide.

I have great sympathy with the view of Halifaxtiger.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 3

spot on comments white night,, as the more support the lads get on the road it gives them a boost as robbo was telling me at the plrc last sunday,, even if they made it a 4pm start we could've had a bigger bus going and it would've swelled the Glasgow coffers a bit but never mind its there loss :sad:

• Like 2

They spoke to the Newcastle promotion on sunday who agreed to the 5pm start.I would think they would have to get permission from the BSPA on Monday for change of start time. They then issued statement on Monday. Sunday to Monday have i missed some days. Pienpeesman 5pm is still better than 6.30 when you start your meetings maybe you need your beauty sleep more than me

Based upon that information alone, its a perfectly reasonable decision (although riders dashing to and from meetings is hardly unheard of).

But that's not the whole picture.

As Lioness has said, Glasgow supporters do not want 5pm starts and the later time will put Newcastle supporters off travelling.

So what we have, yet again, is the long suffering speedway fan and their wishes and requirements being placed at the back of the queue.

One day speedway promotions will learn that taking fans for granted is one the main reasons why the sport is on its knees.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

They spoke to the Newcastle promotion on sunday who agreed to the 5pm start.I would think they would have to get permission from the BSPA on Monday for change of start time. They then issued statement on Monday. Sunday to Monday have i missed some days. Pienpeesman 5pm is still better than 6.30 when you start your meetings maybe you need your beauty sleep more than me

You don't do humour do you. 6.30pm on a regular basis (with Floodlights), against a risky 5.00pm on an autumn night with NO floodlights. :shock:

Your right about PPM, he does need his beauty sleep, badly. :lol:

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

My remarks were made to the people who said who said they would not go because off the 5pm start. They would be home in Newcastle at the same time when your meetings finish. Re run after first bend bunching on average according to updates 6-8 times

'

My remarks were made to the people who said who said they would not go because off the 5pm start. They would be home in Newcastle at the same time when your meetings finish. Re run after first bend bunching on average according to updates 6-8 times

'

If they were in a helicopter, maybe.

Its 150 miles or so by road from Glasgow to Newcastle or about 2.75 hours travelling time (according to the distance calculator I used, anyway). Allowing two hours for a meeting, they'd arrive back in Newcastle at 9.45 (and that's if they don't stop).

I have been to some late meetings at Newcastle before but never one that has taken 3.25 hours.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Can the people who were going on the bus not arrange to go in a few cars instead? If you can try and get up there to support the lads as its our only chance of winning anything this season!!

I doubt for most people it has anything to do with the start time as would get home for about 9.45-10pm anyway and also I dont think a bus ran to the league match at Glasgow which started at 3?!

COME ON THE LADS!!

Can the people who were going on the bus not arrange to go in a few cars instead? If you can try and get up there to support the lads as its our only chance of winning anything this season!!

I doubt for most people it has anything to do with the start time as would get home for about 9.45-10pm anyway and also I dont think a bus ran to the league match at Glasgow which started at 3?!

COME ON THE LADS!!

I think you will find that there are cars going Gaz.

• Like 1

agreed about are start time being at 18.30 at our place as its about 18.45 before the 1st race gets under away so therefore is the meeting going to start at 17.15 or will it be 17.00 with the parade at 16.45 which means the riders who have international meetings on Saturday wont be in the parade as they'll be getting ready for the meeting, 1 things for sure you'll be getting your beauty sleep well before me as I've got to drive back down hopefully with a semi final v the monarchs to look forward to :t::D

You don't do humour do you. 6.30pm on a regular basis (with Floodlights), against a risky 5.00pm on an autumn night with NO floodlights. :shock:

Your right about PPM, he does need his beauty sleep, badly. :lol:

thanks granddad :lol:

Rumour (thats all it is for now as nothing official anywhere that I can see) has it that Viktor Palovaara will also be missing for the Tigers this afternoon.

Can any of our Newcastle friends confirm?

• Like 1

Rumour (thats all it is for now as nothing official anywhere that I can see) has it that Viktor Palovaara will also be missing for the Tigers this afternoon.

Can any of our Newcastle friends confirm?

Berwick tweeted that Matty Wethers was guesting for Glasgow this afternoon, but didn't say who he was guesting in place of.