British Speedway Forum
Skodaman

Leicester Lions 2015

You seem to have fatfinger syndrome there..........Oh well Great Central's loss is Rainman's gain.

I don't just have a fat finger

Support DH instead of fighting him at every chance to put him down.

I noticed that someone had put forward the idea that one of the stands at Leicester be named after Dennis Manton. If anyone doesn't know of him, well into his 80's, he's currently very ill in hospital. He's a leicester stalwart who has put a lot of his life into getting Leicester Speedway back up and running as a comittee member of the Speedway supporters club . To my knowledge (At least until i stopped going last year) he was there selling 50/50 tickets week in week out despite his age. It appears that to name this stand in honour of Mr Manton comes at a price though.. £2000 plus 200 quid for a plaque. According to LSSC facebook It would seem people have so far donated almost £500 towards the 'costs' of naming a stand in Dennis' honour, and as yet not one person appears to have so far questioned why a stand getting named as a tribute to someone who worked so tirelessly for the return of the sport should stand fans at 2 grand. Maybe someone could start a rival petition so to speak, to try and get David Hemsley to name the stand for free (or am i missing the reason for the cost?). At least that might stop some people thinking the worst of DH and looking for any chance to put him down.

anyways, just a thought as i've not had one here for a while..

Mick.

• Like 4

I noticed that someone had put forward the idea that one of the stands at Leicester be named after Dennis Manton. If anyone doesn't know of him, well into his 80's, he's currently very ill in hospital. He's a leicester stalwart who has put a lot of his life into getting Leicester Speedway back up and running as a comittee member of the Speedway supporters club . To my knowledge (At least until i stopped going last year) he was there selling 50/50 tickets week in week out despite his age. It appears that to name this stand in honour of Mr Manton comes at a price though.. £2000 plus 200 quid for a plaque. According to LSSC facebook It would seem people have so far donated almost £500 towards the 'costs' of naming a stand in Dennis' honour, and as yet not one person appears to have so far questioned why a stand getting named as a tribute to someone who worked so tirelessly for the return of the sport should stand fans at 2 grand. Maybe someone could start a rival petition so to speak, to try and get David Hemsley to name the stand for free (or am i missing the reason for the cost?). At least that might stop some people thinking the worst of DH and looking for any chance to put him down.

anyways, just a thought as i've not had one here for a while..

Mick.

To a charity perhaps?

I was told at the darts by the organisers of the fund that the money would be invested directly back into the club to help fund the riders changing rooms & shower block on site in stadium.

The figure also covered all signage & costs that go with naming that stand after such a genuine man.

I was told at the darts by the organisers of the fund that the money would be invested directly back into the club to help fund the riders changing rooms & shower block on site in stadium.

The figure also covered all signage & costs that go with naming that stand after such a genuine man.

In which case it might be better to name the changing rooms etc. after Dennis!

I have heard threre is also a legal reason why the supporters have to pay to have the stand named after Dennis, I believe it is tied into the deal they did to sell the naming rights of the stadium to Jordan's Road surfacing back in 2013 as they said they would have sole rights.

I am sure that there will be some money invested back into the facilities and in my view it would be better for the money to be spent on putting a new roof on the home straight grandstand as that is now rather weathered and has holes in it. I would have a guess that more fans may donate if they sit in the stands as would get a direct benefit:

I have heard threre is also a legal reason why the supporters have to pay to have the stand named after Dennis, I believe it is tied into the deal they did to sell the naming rights of the stadium to Jordan's Road surfacing back in 2013 as they said they would have sole rights.

I am sure that there will be some money invested back into the facilities and in my view it would be better for the money to be spent on putting a new roof on the home straight grandstand as that is now rather weathered and has holes in it. I would have a guess that more fans may donate if they sit in the stands as would get a direct benefit:

So who gets the two grand then, assuming it gets raised? If, as you suggest, it's compensation for Jordan Road Surfacing is it them? Doubt it. The LSSC facebook page states that the reason for the cost is "new fittings to the stand Ie., acoustic barriers, speaker system and general upgrading etc". What's that got to do with any naming issue? Everyone can appreciate there's a cost for a plaque or two but surely the whole idea is to honour a fine man who actively carried the torch for a Lions return long before any of the present administration were involved - not raise funds to pay for things that the promotion should be paying for anyway.

• Like 1

It should not be up to the supporters to raise the money. The club should be the ones to meet the cost. A great man like this who has done so much for the club should be recognised by them not the paying public.

I thought or was told by DH that the new chaning rooms etc where being built during the close season, so it looks like not much as been done at all, during the end of last season and the begging of the new one, can anyone give a few facts to what has been going on because there has been Bu***r all on the Lions webpage about what has been cracking off.

• Like 1

Due to these legal reasons, do you have any idea how much 'the crazy gang' and 'dave darcy' had to pay for stands to be named after them!?

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

Volty I am sure you know that those stands are not officially called them names they are just names that guy on the centre green calls them.

Although Dave Darcy I am sure has invested many thousands in the club hence him being a Co Promotor

It should not be up to the supporters to raise the money. The club should be the ones to meet the cost. A great man like this who has done so much for the club should be recognised by them not the paying public.

I thought or was told by DH that the new chaning rooms etc where being built during the close season, so it looks like not much as been done at all, during the end of last season and the begging of the new one, can anyone give a few facts to what has been going on because there has been Bu***r all on the Lions webpage about what has been cracking off.

Thats up to the supporters; if they want to give, let them; if they dont, so be it!!

• Like 2

Thats up to the supporters; if they want to give, let them; if they dont, so be it!!

Agreed. It's how it's dressed up though isn't it? It shouldn't cost supporters £2000 to simply rename a stand so as long as it's made clear to donators that only a small percentage is in honour of Denis, and that the larger amount is to help the owner pay for stadium improvments, then that's fine.

Agreed. It's how it's dressed up though isn't it? It shouldn't cost supporters £2000 to simply rename a stand so as long as it's made clear to donators that only a small percentage is in honour of Denis, and that the larger amount is to help the owner pay for stadium improvments, then that's fine.

Perhaps it's to fund the much needed track changes....

I don't just have a fat finger

Do you mean you have a fat head aswell... :D

Edited by yerropes
  • Like 1