British Speedway Forum
Skodaman

Leicester Lions 2015

But what exactly has that got to do with Leicester Speedway? People just turn up to watch the meetings the rest is just superfluous.

erm, it was discussed on a radio interview with the Leicester owner, and it was crossed over to here and discussed. If you have no interest in anything outside of turning up and watching then what on earth are you doing wasting your time on a forum such as this..

Edited by volty

But what exactly has that got to do with Leicester Speedway? People just turn up to watch the meetings the rest is just superfluous.

people want to know Speedway is going to be there to watch particularly those who have lost it once(not me). DH doesn't seem unduly concerned so there doesn't appear to be much concern on his part. I thought he answerd the question well. There has bern some talk of, if the planning terms aren't carried out. The Speedway will be pulled that's why people worry.

Could anyone anser the question on who onws the land behind the disabled parking and up to the stadium entrance. To me it just seems to be a very large peice of ground, that looks like an overgrown jungle.

Surely if this belonged to the stadium it could be turned into a car park or extend the stadium there, if it is the councils land then like most distric councils, they seem to leave plots like this to go to waste but moan if someone has a plot that has overgrown and give them an order to clean it up.

I always thought it was the council that had the plans to build all the sports complexes on the adjoining land, but being from outside the county, I didn't hear what the terms where when they gave the OK to build the stadium there.

Could anyone anser the question on who onws the land behind the disabled parking and up to the stadium entrance. To me it just seems to be a very large peice of ground, that looks like an overgrown jungle.

Surely if this belonged to the stadium it could be turned into a car park or extend the stadium there, if it is the councils land then like most distric councils, they seem to leave plots like this to go to waste but moan if someone has a plot that has overgrown and give them an order to clean it up.

I always thought it was the council that had the plans to build all the sports complexes on the adjoining land, but being from outside the county, I didn't hear what the terms where when they gave the OK to build the stadium there.

I will try and answer your question from memory, when I attended an open meeting before anything had been agreed, It was a meeting trying to help get local support from people who lived in the area. At the time I was part of a local football club, we used the all weather courts, {now the car park} and the grassed area where the stadium has been built. We were told that 12 all weather football pitches would be built, by a company called Pro Five. Bristol based company I think? They would of been situated to your right as you walk from the car park. Our club chairman had even had meetings with them at a later date to try and negotiate a good deal for young teams to train there. It is my understanding that Pro Five were bought out by Goals. They already have a centre in Leicester, and at the time it was not doing very well, so they pulled out of the build. To the left as you walk from the car park should of been a Velodrome. A man from British Cycling was at the meeting, he seemed very optimistic at the time that the funding would be available. Clearly it was, as it has been built in Derby. Not sure who was going to build the BMX Track though? It was my understanding that a 99 year lease on the land had been agreed, not sure if DH is responsible for all of the land or if he has a lease on the part the track has been built on?

Not sure if it helps, but that's as I recall it.

• Like 1

Pity the land on the right from the car park couldn't be used for car park for the time being so people don't have to walk up the slope!

Pity the land on the right from the car park couldn't be used for car park for the time being so people don't have to walk up the slope!

I do not think that would be possible or safe, when you step from the car park on to the path, that is the level the field was before the tipping of the soil. I would guess cars would possibly sink if not careful. As the ground under all the top soil is old tip land I am not sure if you could dig down to deep without having problems, or expense. I am sure there is others on here who could correct me if I am wrong.

The land to the right as you walk up to the stadium could easily be used for car parking and I believe was looked into last year. All it needs is to remove grass and Tarmac it which I'm sure Jordan Road surfacing could do at a good rate for the club.

The biggest problem is if the club do that they then have to pay business tax on the land used and even if you charged £1.50 for car parking it would not cover the extra expense and the costs of building it.

I know that even in the summer the club have strict policy of not letting any fans or riders park on the grass as the council could see this and say they are using the land for parking.

With regards to the rest of the land when I last asked it was very difficult to use can only be used for leisure facilities so the club could not let the land for industrial units.

One possibility in the future would be if Beaumont shopping centre wanted to expand that they knock down the library and leisure centre which is very dated now and the council could build new near the Speedway

The land to the right as you walk up to the stadium could easily be used for car parking and I believe was looked into last year. All it needs is to remove grass and Tarmac it which I'm sure Jordan Road surfacing could do at a good rate for the club.

The biggest problem is if the club do that they then have to pay business tax on the land used and even if you charged £1.50 for car parking it would not cover the extra expense and the costs of building it.

I know that even in the summer the club have strict policy of not letting any fans or riders park on the grass as the council could see this and say they are using the land for parking.

With regards to the rest of the land when I last asked it was very difficult to use can only be used for leisure facilities so the club could not let the land for industrial units.

One possibility in the future would be if Beaumont shopping centre wanted to expand that they knock down the library and leisure centre which is very dated now and the council could build new near the Speedway

Am i being dim or something. You are all discussing, and flagrag appears to be positively advocating, that the council, having only recently allowed a green space in a deprived social area be given away on a long term lease on the premise the new leaseholders do something that will be of benefit to the youth of the area (in the way of improved lesiure facilities for the deprived locality), should then allow the new leasholders to renege on the deal on the premise that part of the leaseholders plan had fell through, due to partners the leaseholders hoped they'd roped in for the long run not actually being tied down at all, and the place is now a bit of a tip (admittedly because the new leaseholders have turned the green fields into an eyesore, and probably unusable without great cost, by allowing huge amounts of waste tipping on the area!). And you're saying that because it's now the right tip it now is the area designated to help the regeneration of the local area (which has even lost the leisure facilities it did have under the current car park) should now be able to use the areas for extra carparking or sold on for industrial use to save it from being the eyesore the leaseholder has turned it in to???

That's what you're saying, Right? what a precedent that would set across the country with leisure facilities and green space. My guess would be even big supermarket chains would struggle to pull that one on green space aquired for the betterment of the local area, though admittedly i wouldn't put it past them having a go!

Edited by volty

So who has dumped all the rubbish land around the stadium, is it the local council that is using it as a site to tip their waste and rubble, rather than do something to better the area, even flatten it and remove the rubble and grass it over would be far better than the mess it is now.

Doe's the stadium have control over the ajoining land or is it controled by the council. Who ever it is should be ashamed of themselves to let it get into the state it is now, because it must look a right eyesore to any visiting fans.

So who has dumped all the rubbish land around the stadium, is it the local council that is using it as a site to tip their waste and rubble, rather than do something to better the area, even flatten it and remove the rubble and grass it over would be far better than the mess it is now.

Doe's the stadium have control over the ajoining land or is it controled by the council. Who ever it is should be ashamed of themselves to let it get into the state it is now, because it must look a right eyesore to any visiting fans.

Errr this is what has paid for what we have now. All done by the club.

To get back on track - any ideas about who will ride at No. 2 on Friday & Saturday?

Edited by Happy Hunter

The original planning permission in 2010 was granted to a company called Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd (BSC), to be responsible for building the various facilities and associated infrastructure. To enable them to do this, and on condition that planning conditions were followed properly, they were granted a lease on the land by the owners, Leicester City Council.

BSC Ltd has never actually traded as a company, no annual accounts ever filed, and is officially classed as "dormant".

Despite this being the case, the Speedway stadium was built, with the remaining land being used for tipping of rubble. The premise under which the rubble tipping has been allowed, is that it serves to enable the necessary ground level raising, to prepare for the sports facilities to be installed.

As we know, the other sports facilities have yet to be created, and what we have is land covered in rubble.

Leicester Speedway Ltd (LS Ltd) carries out speedway operations but to my knowledge has never been the legally-appointed leaseholder for the land, or holder of the planning permission. This is an "active status"company, but limited by its memorandum to operating speedway etc at the stadium, presumably on a sub-lease basis from BSC (the mysteriously dormant company).

However, since 2010 and up to the end of last year, Leicester City Council had received about £75,000 from a combination of business rate payments, "rental and lease income", "sporting facilities" and planning fees.

This could only have been paid by parties other than BSC Ltd, perhaps LS Ltd (and/or others), because it couldn't have come from BSC. David Hemsley is the sole director of both BSC and LS, by the way.

This also begs the question as to who carried out the "ground level raising" operations (or rubble-tipping as some would see it), and was any money received and if so by whom? It would have been difficult for it to have gone into the coffers of BSC as the leaseholder and responsible development company, as that company has never officially traded. So who did pocket any income thus derived - and what was done with it? Make your own judgements on that.

Last year, Leicester City Council stomped around a bit and the original planning permission had to be revised and updated. One of the new requirements, was for a new "development plan" to be agreed between LCC and (presumably) BSC, designed to kick start the long-awaited development of the other sporting facilities. There was an August 2014 deadline for this plan to have been agreed with immediate start of implementation. This date came and went, without any such agreement being reached, and to my knowledge it still hasn't.

So what, if anything, will LCC do? Terminate BSC's lease and rescind the planning permission maybe? LSC would then become (officially!)direct tenants of LCC, as the latter would own the stadium. But in doing that, would LCC also become responsible for footing the bill to restore the rest of the land to its original state?

Or will they just allow the current status to continue, with the planning permission a meaningless and un-enforced document, the "landlords" not really existing, and the land continuing as a rubble tip - and happy as long as some income keeps on coming in, probably from Leicester Speedway Ltd or whoever is paying it?

To get back on track - any ideas about who will ride at No. 2 on Friday & Saturday?

Fricke rides at Brandon on Friday and Schlein at Leicester

Fricke rides at Brandon on Friday and Schlein at Leicester

Will be good for us bees fans to see Max on Friday

Will be good for us bees fans to see Max on Friday

I liked Fricke when I saw him at Leicester last season - he is one for the future! Schlein was a bit hit & miss at Beaumont Park last season.