British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2015

Thorssell and Konopka of course, deserve a chance and I further agree time will tell whether they were good signings or not but management to be fair, are trying to make positive improvements and I applaud them for that. What I can't quite understand is why virtually the whole team have of late struggled out of the gate. I went to Leicester yesterday and watched Simon Lambert and Robert Lambert (guest) ride well for the Lions against a good (albeit on the day rather unfortunate) Robins team. They still did not gate particularly well but better than against the Devils on Sunday. However, they did in my view ride with considerably more commitment and aggression than they showed on Sunday.

I hope Sunday was just a bad day at the office and we can respond with a storming and confidence boosting victory at Berwick tomorrow and a better and more productive home showing next Sunday against Redcar, particularly as I am bringing three first time guests.

Up the mighty Panthers!

Good rider, has potential. Won't score as well as Allen would or guests have perhaps but a permanent signing is better then R/R for the Panthers.

After giving it some thought I have to agree with the above and we should give him our full support and also give Rafael a chance as there are not many other options.

O dear Jacob Thorssell move blocked by the BSPA

Sauce?

nothing on http://www.speedwaygb.co/

PANTHERS MOVE FOR JACOB

Tuesday June 30, 2015

thorssell_jacob.jpg

PETERBOROUGH are thrilled to have completed the capture of Swedish star Jacob Thorssell to boost their Premier League title bid.

Club bosses agreed terms with the 21 year-old talent yesterday and he slots into the main body of the Panthers’ line-up on a 7.42 average as a replacement for the injured Olly Allen, whilst remaining in the Elite League with Wolverhampton.

Promoter Ged Rathbone said: “We have made it clear all along that we would make the right signing at the right time . . . and we feel we have done that.

“Jacob is a very highly-rated rider with plenty of top-level experience both in this country and in his homeland. He is a proven performer who expects to do very well in the Premier League – and that is exactly what we expect of him.”

Edited by Flyin Panther

Speedway - Panthers move for Swedish rider is blocked

2915272249.jpg

Jacob Thorssell won't be coming to Panthers after all.

Mark Plummer

09:31Wednesday 01 July 2015

Peterborough Panthers have seen their swoop for Sewdish racer Jacob Thorssell blocked by the authorities.

The city team unveiled their new recruit yesterday (June 30), but the move was later thrown out by the British Speedway Promoters’ Association (BSPA) who have deemed him ineligible to race at Premier League level.

Their ruling is due to the former World Under 21 finalist boasting an Elite League average in excess of six points at the start of the 2015 season.

His mark had dropped to 4.91 when a deal was struck with Panthers earlier this week and is currently 5.30 for July, but the signing has still been turned down.

That is despite Thorssell, who races for Wolverhampton at the top level, being recommended to the club by a member of the BSPA management committee, according to angry Supremo Ged Rathbone.

Rathbone blasted: “The club and Jacob are devastated the move has been blocked as we were led to believe he would be eligible to ride in the Premier League.

“I must stress there is no wrongdoing on the part of the Peterborough management here.

“A member of the BSPA management committee, who I won’t name, suggested we tried to sign Jacob after we had initially enquired about the availability of another rider.

“We proceeded to complete a deal with Jacob only for the BSPA management committee to then block it.

“It was obviously an oversight on that individual’s part, but it is one which is extremely disappointing to say the least.

“We believe Jacob would have points on the board and bums on seats which is what Peterborough Speedway and the sport as a whole needs.

“But what this decision also means is we are unable build a team to the points limit. We cannot go for any rider who has possessed a six-point average in the Elite League this season.

“In a nutshell we find ourselves in a position where the rules dictate that we cannot sign a rider of number one calibre and that is a huge bone of contention.

“We appreciate the supporters will be disappointed at this development, but I can assure them that no-one is more disappointed than me.

“We will now go back to the drawing board and work hard to ensure a new signing is completed as soon as possible – subject to BSPA approval of course.”

Panthers had drafted in Thorssell as a replacement for Olly Allen whose season was ended by ankle injuries suffered in a crash back in March.

The club have used guests to deputise for Allen until now, but that option is no longer available as he has dropped to second in their averages.

Captain Ulrich Ostergaard takes over as number one in July with rider replacement now the only facility available to cover Allen’s absence.

Club bosses are understood to be keen to sign a new rider as soon as possible – ideally ahead of their Sunday clash against bottom side Redcar at the Showground (3pm).

Edited by Flyin Panther

It's a crazy crazy crazy world.

I feel really sorry for the lad and the promotion.

The BSPA really need to have a look at this rule amongst others.

At least r/r in the home matches will be ok for a few matches.

Won't work out away from home though.

Fortunately July is quite a quiet month fixture-wise.

On panthers website. Bspa screwing teams again

TBF, if I was a Peterborough fan I'd keep quiet about the BSPA getting things wrong after they let MPT sign no 5.5 and not the 7.5 the rules say he should be.

Must admit, although the wording of the rule suggests they're right to block this I'd suggest the rule is worked incorrectly based on what the rule used to be and is going the other way. Someone messed up writing the rulebook. It would also have made far more sense to have allowed the signing from the POV that Peterborough would have had a full 1-7 and thats always better than R/R.

Nicklas Porsing is now the only Elite Lge rider eligible to double up. However he rides for ZKS Ostrovia in Poland...

The words best interest of the sport are often used in some dodgy signings. But in this case it really would have been in the best interests of the sport to let this signing take place.

• Like 3