British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

Fingers crossed something can be sorted out, but I'm not holding my breath. I can't see any clubs agreeing to stage only eight home league meetings per season.

It's nothing new for Eastbourne is it..they always seem to be battling these things...when my brother in law rode for the Eagles over 20 years ago when it run under the old Wimbledon promotion the riders were told half way through the season that unless the riders took a massive pay cut then the club would close there and then....they took the cut and saw out the season but the crowds were shocking then and that was 20 odd years ago.....

I hope they survive..it's a good set up there and they have produced some good riders but it always seems a big struggle...fingers crossed

Why didn't Bob change his race nights to midweek, Buster did years ago and it has worked, may have for Bob!!

Why didn't Bob change his race nights to midweek, Buster did years ago and it has worked, may have for Bob!!

thursday nights were tried about five years ago, they were a disaster.

Eastbourne have been in this position before, as I recall and there has been a solution in the past. The Dugard family have owned the stadium for several years and the family are a speedway dynasty. I would be surprised if this was the end of speedway at Eastbourne, unless the family really have had enough.

Eight or nine home matches a season really wouldnt be worth the bother, i know the days of 36 league matches, ko cup fixtures, world championship qualifiers plus numerous open meeting are long gone but on the other hand whats being muted by Bob Dugard is the other extreme.

• Like 1

Speedway nearly died in the 50's and it's looking like the 50's all over again...here in Britain at least. It needs people with guts, gumption and foresight to rescue the situation. Is there another Mike Parker out there?.

• Like 2

I think Bob has 8 EL fixtures in mind and then lower level meetings on other dates. Possibly NL ? Let us hope some agreement is reached..

thursday nights were tried about five years ago, they were a disaster.

What do people do different in Sussex than Norfolk then, hopefully Connor will inject some much needed enthusiasm and positiveness into the club and find some new fans, if Lynn can, Eastbourne can?

My mate reckons they should target the grey brigade in Eastbourne, offer them entry, prog, cuppa and chips/burger or whatever for £10, for a night of excitement and mouth dropping motorbike skill!

What do people do different in Sussex than Norfolk then, hopefully Connor will inject some much needed enthusiasm and positiveness into the club and find some new fans, if Lynn can, Eastbourne can?

My mate reckons they should target the grey brigade in Eastbourne, offer them entry, prog, cuppa and chips/burger or whatever for £10, for a night of excitement and mouth dropping motorbike skill!

I'd go if they included a pint of Old Speckled Hen.

• Like 1

Oh dear, that is very sad to hear.

Is it the 100 club they have at Eastbourne where fans put in money? If so could they extend that or get fans to increase any stake they have in the club.

Hopefully someone will come in and save the club if they did I bet Bob would still do the track for them.

Like most supporters, I'm really sorry to see Eastbourne in this not unfamiliar situation,but I just don't see the suggested 8 home match season being workable. I know this might suit the so-called International stars, but it would financially cripple the lesser riders,and in my opinion, there is already too much pandering to the top riders, most of whom I suspect would expect to be paid the same for taking part in 7 meetings as they would for a full season.

Such a scheme would be just an excuse for picking and choosing the meetings they ride in, and would serve only as an encouragement to other riders to try and get away with doing the same.

Perhaps Eastbourne could consider running in the National League in which there are fewer teams and in which the week-end programme is far less disrupted by what goes on in the continent. Many of their supporters would see this as a retrograde step and attendances would inevitably fall, but with the reduced costs and by continuing the development of new riders for which the club has for long been famous, the management would be able to work gradually for a return to a higher division in the fullness of time?

Come what may though, it would be sad to see Eastbourne founder and I wish the club and their fans, well for the future.

• Like 1