British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

Well it isn't only the local press is it?my comment was aimed at Phil Risings post which seems to state clearly Eastbourne has closed and i maybe take it for granted that Phils connections are not just in the local press

Its only the local press that are saying its closed down,

How many clubs needs to drop before the BSPA wake up to the Major overhaul needed ?, that's 2 and counting in 2014.

If we had a major overhaul and follow the lines of the successful leagues in Sweden and Poland then we would have LESS teams not more! :P

Been going to Arlington every year since 1976. Track has gradually got worse and worse - entertainment likewise...It's sad but unless the track is ripped up and re-laid I can't see any level of the sport being a goer at Arlington. Sometimes its best to remember the good times and turn off the life support machine. RIP.

• Like 2

But wasn't Bob Dugards father involved with Eastbourne speedway from the early days, though as you point out I was obviously wrong about Eastbournes League history only starting after the demise of Hastings speedway at Pilot Field ,where I believe Hastings United FC still play to this day and the space where the speedway track was remains undeveloped?

Lets hope the BSPA can arrange a better run EL with less fixtures to allow Eastbourne to continue!

In case you are interested in the history of Eastbourne, I refer you to this interesting section on the club website.

http://www.eastbourneeagles.co/clubhistory

In case you are interested in the history of Eastbourne, I refer you to this interesting section on the club website.

http://www.eastbourneeagles.co/clubhistory

Very interesting walk through the Eagles history Gustix, thanks. The fact that the Dugards own the stadium and the fact that Martin's boys are taking to the shale, must suggest there is real hope speedway will continue at Arlington in some shape.

Very interesting walk through the Eagles history Gustix, thanks. The fact that the Dugards own the stadium and the fact that Martin's boys are taking to the shale, must suggest there is real hope speedway will continue at Arlington in some shape.

Maybe at PL level would make sense and be more affordable to who ever ran it ,till the dozers move in there is always hope if nothing else !

Wow an Eastbourne fan who agrees with me re the track :-)

I think there are a few that agree the racing at the track is not what it was. Only a few years ago we used to have the likes of Davey Watt and Adam Shields riding the boards because there was grip on the outside. The only one that really seems capable of that now is Cam.

I am not convinced however that it is the track itself. Bob knows what he is doing and surely if he could create a racers track, he would.

I wonder if the following are the problem with the racing

Expensively tuned and set up bikes.

New silencers (I am convinced the bike ride different with the new ones)

Air fence (takes up half the room that the likes of Sheildsy used to use) on the small confines of Arlo the airfence takes up a lot of room (not that I am against it of course)

Grand Prix series

Recessions

Big money abroad

I think the problems at Arlo and more than just the track and promotion. I wish I had the answers. I am going to miss it big time IF it really goes. 45 of my 48 years I have followed the Eagles and I truly love the team, the stadium and the sport!

Edited by stevec
  • Like 3

I think there are a few that agree the racing at the track is not what it was. Only a few years ago we used to have the likes of Davey Watt and Adam Shields riding the boards because there was grip on the outside. The only one that really seems capable of that now is Cam.

I am not convinced however that it is the track itself. Bob knows what he is doing and surely if he could create a racers track, he would.

I wonder if the following are the problem with the racing

New silencers (I am convinced the bike ride different with the new ones)

Air fence (takes up half the room that the likes of Sheildsy used to use) on the small confines of Arlo the airfence takes up a lot of room (not that I am against it of course)

I think the problems at Arlo and more than just the track and promotion. I wish I had the answers. I am going to miss it big time IF it really goes. 45 of my 48 years I have followed the Eagles and I truly love the team, the stadium and the sport!

Good post,sad to see the demise of Eastbourne,have enjoyed my trips there in the 90's and 2000's to see some cracking matches against Wolverhampton in front of some big crowds.Unfortunately Eastbourne as a small track has been screwed by introduction of new silencers,the speedway is not as good as it used to be and there is no longer any atmosphere at the stadium,that's why people are not coming any more in the numbers they were.

Been going to Arlington every year since 1976. Track has gradually got worse and worse - entertainment likewise...It's sad but unless the track is ripped up and re-laid I can't see any level of the sport being a goer at Arlington. Sometimes its best to remember the good times and turn off the life support machine. RIP.

Not sure about the last bit but the first part 110%. I said during the close season last year I felt our track needed digging up and relaying as IMHO I felt the surface was worn out. EB fans call Lakeside the dustbowl but this year Arlo has been if anything worse. People want entertaining for their hard earnt money, sadly the last couple of years thats been few and far between. Couple that with the woeful away form which never shows any sign of improving and there's hardly reasons for the fans to come flooding back. If EB are to continue major changes need to happen if crowds are to return.

New silencers (I am convinced the bike ride different )!

you could say that about most tracks passing has been at a premium since they were brought in.

• Like 1

The problem with Speedway is the presentation it is poor not organised. We need slick presentations. One major problem with Speedway is lack of the facility to see the pits. I find watching the antics in the pits a major part of Speedway. Only Coventry has this facility I'm the midlands.

• Like 1

How many clubs needs to drop before the BSPA wake up to the Major overhaul needed ?, that's 2 and counting in 2014.

What do you suggest the BSPA do ?

I honestly don't think the crowds will return to speedway whatever the BSPA do. It's a sport that is past it's sell by date and is being propped up by us old fogies, who are the last generation of speedway fans.

• Like 5

I honestly don't think the crowds will return to speedway whatever the BSPA do. It's a sport that is past it's sell by date and is being propped up by us old fogies, who are the last generation of speedway fans.

I tend to endorse your view. That's why there are several active forums that deal with the past. Speedway was a development from the 1920s and touched a peak in the immediate post-war years of the 1940s. It was then a "different sport in a different world." Now there are attempts at a revival - sadly an effort akin to King Canute and turning back the waves....!