British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

Good news that speedway is to continue at Arlington.

Who said it would be Sunday afternoons? There are many posts on here and the Eagles forum reminiscing about balmy Sunday afternoons in the good old days and how successful it was but that was 60 years ago. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then people! Try as you may, those days are gone and can't be replicated.

They were running on Sunday afternoons in the early 90's and the crowds were not coming in when the riders had to take a big pay cut to see out the season....the Polish League was only just taking off back then and they were able to run a regular Sunday afternoon schedule with very attractive British League teams visiting with all the top stars...and that wasn't viable back then.

Eastie in not closing down shocker ....Good for them and the El in them not being in it . They need to run at Pl level on a sunday afternoon rather that El on a sat night .

Only a year to go before more closing down stories .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Excellent news for Eagles fans. Which kind of makes a mockery of the doom and gloom reports of closing down and how wrong people wre quick to believe something clearly false.

• Like 1

I can't see Saturday night NL racing at Arlington competing with GP speedway on TV. The eagles management would have to be very selective when planning their home fixtures.

I can't see Saturday night NL racing at Arlington competing with GP speedway on TV. The eagles management would have to be very selective when planning their home fixtures.

Exactly maybe a mix of sat evening and sunday afternoon meetings

Just shows that the newspapers jump the gun a bit. Only 4 days ago they were saying it's gone and today it's the opposite! Brilliant there will be some racing next year! Halsey for a signing?

I think that this is the way for speedway in this country to re-invent itself and I congratulate Eastbourne in taking this initiative. As has been said, back to the idea of using local lads making the grade as has already been shown by the National League. There certainly won't be any international rider costs which has become, along with the Grand Prix series and farcical teams made from guests etc, the bane of top class speedway. If people want to watch the top stars why not watch the GP, Elite League or Swedish League circus on the tele. Or a progressive promoter might just arrange for an all star individual meetiong once or twice a season, or even a foreign touring team from Sweden or Poland etc of equal ability to the home team. The options are endless. And with some regularity with race nights, riders in the team and a variety of entertainment, who knows, people might just come and watch!!

• Like 5

After many years in the top flight, it's going to be hard for some eagles fans to adjust to NL racing. It was the same for arena in 1996 when the hammers team relocated to hackney. Going PL would mean far too many meetings to run for uncle bob's liking!

We might nick an away win next season now :drink:

That would be brilliant! break the record our top riders can't seem to do! :cheers:

We might nick an away win next season now :drink:

I think there's every chance you will be one of the top dogs in the league.

Given the fact that Eastbourne don't have a rent liability, in the NL there's every chance they could break even on about 350 people.

Get a few local young lads in with two or three riders to make the team competitive and I'll be surprised if they don't hit that.

For me, this is brilliant news.

Keep it Saturday night but don't clash with GP meetings.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Firstly, excellent news that Eastbourne are running at all next season, I don't like to see any track closing down, especially one with such history.

Eastbourne were at their best when local youngsters were coming through, Dugard, Barker, Norris etc.

As a whole, British speedway needs to produce more riders, this is one of the ways to do it.

Good news all round.

• Like 1

Eastie in not closing down shocker ....Good for them and the El in them not being in it . They need to run at Pl level on a sunday afternoon rather that El on a sat night .

Only a year to go before more closing down stories .

Yes the Elite League will be much better. Just think, half the teams can ride in the play offs now.

Do you really think the demise of another team is good for the league?

Sounds like there is a glimmer of hope that we may be back in 2016, so make the most of your year without us.

Sorry to bite and maybe I shouldn't but I have never gloated on another teams misfortune and I dot understand when others do. You gest about the year in and year out threats that Eastbourne are going to close and most the times they have been real. Three times other promoters have stepped in Brimson, Hagon and Russell. If they had not, we may have lost the sport.

Doesnt say on your profile who you support but I kind of hope you go through the same, that is if you are as passionate about your team as I am. Maybe you would just shug your shoulders and move on. I certainly wouldnt.

• Like 2

Yes the Elite League will be much better. Just think, half the teams can ride in the play offs now.

Do you really think the demise of another team is good for the league?

Sounds like there is a glimmer of hope that we may be back in 2016, so make the most of your year without us.

Sorry to bite and maybe I shouldn't but I have never gloated on another teams misfortune and I dot understand when others do. You gest about the year in and year out threats that Eastbourne are going to close and most the times they have been real. Three times other promoters have stepped in Brimson, Hagon and Russell. If they had not, we may have lost the sport.

Doesnt say on your profile who you support but I kind of hope you go through the same, that is if you are as passionate about your team as I am. Maybe you would just shug your shoulders and move on. I certainly wouldnt.

Yea I do .. first of all we need only need 8 teams and none of a sat night ...Also trying to keep a small club like Eastie in the league has always held the league back .Eastie should always run at a lower level on a sunday them not running in the el should help both sides

I said last Week that Eastie would not close down after the standard this is the last meeting ever story and for the 10th year in a row I was proved correct . Not sure how can you gloat over a team demise when they not even demised . If want to keep buying the same story every year then that's up to you I choose not to .

Edited by orion

Eastbourne will run NL in 2015 with a view of running EL again in 2016

This is really odd. Drop down 2 leagues then up 2 leagues the year after.

Something they don't like about the PL?