British Speedway Forum

But it didnt save campton after all he "possibly" would of been top four in his state championship, just as they "possibly" may have attained seven point average if not for injury, in my mind no difference and there should be no give and take.

• Like 1

I agree there should be no give and take Brewer, rules are rules.

You would have thought that teams would have been informed "officially" all at the same time so that one team had no advantage over others signing replacements.

My guess is Worky won't take the risk waiting for an instruction and snapped up the two they want before a bidding war starts.

• Like 1

My guess is Worky won't take the risk waiting for an instruction and snapped up the two they want before a bidding war starts.

Very possible, though in the case of Campton its quite clear he was never going to make the criteria needed for a visa.

• Like 1

I noticed this at the end of the official statment on the SGB about visas....

This will probably save Poole and Proctor so i should imagine Sheffield will be ok.

Proctor qualifies for his work permit by reaching the required average in the EL. Poole average never once reached 7.00 throughout the season and should be told no.

Are bonus points taken into account for the rules? I know they aren't for team building, but wondered if they are for visa applications. Don't know what difference it makes to Taylor's average, but it may get him over the line

workington are having to redeclare their team because campton n wethers have been refused entry visas ... how does that leave poole n proctor ???

This is madness. These individuals are international sportsmen originating from a Commonwealth country wishing to come to these shores in furtherance of their profession and to entertain the paying public. They are paying their own way and have contractual arrangements to prove they will be financially self-sufficient.

Polish airline Wizz Air has recently announced that it will be operating a twice-weekly service into Robin Hood Airport from the Slovakian city of Kocise to "bus in" a further 400 immigrants on a weekly basis, most of whom will have nowhere to live and no jobs to go to, but will expect to be housed, provided with benefits to support their families and given free medical healthcare.

Is it not time the speedway fraternity rose up in protest at this clear discrimination against talented individuals wishing to ply their trade in the UK?

• Like 5

Is it not time the speedway fraternity rose up in protest at this clear discrimination against talented individuals wishing to ply their trade in the UK?

No, because the ones being refused aren't talented enough to be given preference over British/EU riders.

No, because the ones being refused aren't talented enough to be given preference over British/EU riders.

Not talented enough? Then why do British promoters want to employ them?

If we shut the doors to our antipodean cousins we cut off a rich vein of talent which has maintained British speedway for decades. I would go as far as to say that speedway in the UK would no longer exist were it not for the thrills, excitement and colour that our friends from down under have brought to our shores. The legendary names of Huxley, Van Praag, Moore, Briggs, Mauger, Young and Airey represent an 80-year legacy of speedway racing at its best. Their names have more recently been joined by those of Crump, Parker, Doolan, Holder, Doyle and Lemon. Who's to say the next generation won't include the likes of Ward, Schlein, Fricke, Sedgmen and Masters.

If we allow some penpusher in Whitehall to determine who's allowed to grace our speedway tracks and who isn't, then we hand over the future of our great and glorious sport to the dead hand of officialdom. This unwarranted interference in the affairs of speedway stinks, and the face of anyone who calls himself a speedway fan should be red with anger.

Can you imagine the furore if Man Utd were told they couldn't sign the likes of Rafael or Di Maria, or Chelsea's Ramires and Luis were sent packing back to Brazil because they "weren't talented enough to be given preference over English players"?

The whole situation is ridiculous and laughable, and if speedway stands for it we should all hang our heads in shame.

• Like 3

Not talented enough? Then why do British promoters want to employ them?

Good question. I'd ask a promoter if I were you.

If we shut the doors to our antipodean cousins we cut off a rich vein of talent which has maintained British speedway for decades. I would go as far as to say that speedway in the UK would no longer exist were it not for the thrills, excitement and colour that our friends from down under have brought to our shores. The legendary names of Huxley, Van Praag, Moore, Briggs, Mauger, Young and Airey represent an 80-year legacy of speedway racing at its best. Their names have more recently been joined by those of Crump, Parker, Doolan, Holder, Doyle and Lemon.

Hmm, let me think. Holder or Campton? That's a tricky one.

Who's to say the next generation won't include the likes of Ward, Schlein, Fricke, Sedgmen and Masters.

If they're good enough they'll get in.

If we allow some penpusher in Whitehall to determine who's allowed to grace our speedway tracks and who isn't, then we hand over the future of our great and glorious sport to the dead hand of officialdom. This unwarranted interference in the affairs of speedway stinks, and the face of anyone who calls himself a speedway fan should be red with anger.

I'm a speedway fan & I'm happy. The speedway establishment have got so used to playing fast and loose with their own regulations over the years that they seem to have taken it for granted that the laws of the land are fair game for them to ignore. I'm sorry for the riders that will end up without visas, not because they won't get in, but because they've been strung along by people they thought they could trust.

Can you imagine the furore if Man Utd were told they couldn't sign the likes of Rafael or Di Maria, or Chelsea's Ramires and Luis were sent packing back to Brazil because they "weren't talented enough to be given preference over English players"?

I haven't got a clue what you're on about, but it's great news about Earl Bamber & Nick Tandy isn't it?

The whole situation is ridiculous and laughable, and if speedway stands for it we should all hang our heads in shame.

True it is ridiculous & laughable but once it's sorted the lunatics can get back to running their own tiny asylum in their own unique style and hopefully they'll get the serious stuff right in future.

• Like 1

this situation gets more ridiculous every day, how come gp stars like hancock, doyle, and holder will be allowed to fly in for the gp, have their 5/6/7 rides, pick up their money, then fly out?

an even more valid point is how many unknown young cricketers from Pakistan, india, sri lanka, south Africa, west indies, new Zealand and Australia, will we find in the local leagues this summer, up and down the country in a pro capacity, that are not at the top of their trade either, surely all sports should be treated alike..

this situation gets more ridiculous every day, how come gp stars like hancock, doyle, and holder will be allowed to fly in for the gp, have their 5/6/7 rides, pick up their money, then fly out?

Yeah, thats comparable. Because them top class guys can come in to ride a GP then Mason Campton and Taylor Poole should get team places. When Campton and Poole make the GPs (in fact, long before that TBF - just top 4 in a state final!) they will be allowed work permit.

They are talented enough though and the criteria for them players to gain a work permit is as follows :

Work permits will only be issued to international football players of the highest calibre who will be able to make a significant contribution to the development of the game of football in the United Kingdom at the highest level.

How is it established that the player is an international player of the highest calibre?

In order to establish on an initial application that the player is an international player of the highest calibre the following criteria must be met:

• A player must have player for his country in at least 75% of its competitive A team matches of which he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application

• The player’s country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application

So stop making out speedway is being singled out and that Aussies are being treated unfairly, it is just the way it is. I would love to see Taylor Poole back in Tigers colours next year but rules are rules and it has always been the case and is the case with every sport when it comes to getting players/riders from outside the EU.

They are talented enough though and the criteria for them players to gain a work permit is as follows :

Work permits will only be issued to international football players of the highest calibre who will be able to make a significant contribution to the development of the game of football in the United Kingdom at the highest level.

How is it established that the player is an international player of the highest calibre?

In order to establish on an initial application that the player is an international player of the highest calibre the following criteria must be met:

• A player must have player for his country in at least 75% of its competitive A team matches of which he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application

• The player’s country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application

So stop making out speedway is being singled out and that Aussies are being treated unfairly, it is just the way it is. I would love to see Taylor Poole back in Tigers colours next year but rules are rules and it has always been the case and is the case with every sport when it comes to getting players/riders from outside the EU.

In my long experience, people who use the saying "rules are rules" do so because they cannot justify why the rule exists in the first place. Can you tell me any justification for excluding citizens of the British Commonwealth from coming to practice their profession on these shores whilst allowing free and unfettered entry to anyone and everyone from the so-called European Union (European Dis-union would be a more accurate title)?

In my long experience, people who use the saying "rules are rules" do so because they cannot justify why the rule exists in the first place. Can you tell me any justification for excluding citizens of the British Commonwealth from coming to practice their profession on these shores whilst allowing free and unfettered entry to anyone and everyone from the so-called European Union (European Dis-union would be a more accurate title)?

I can't justify it and not doing so, I think it is stupid as much as anyone else but the rules have always been there and until that changes then there is not much we can do.

Proctor qualifies for his work permit by reaching the required average in the EL. Poole average never once reached 7.00 throughout the season and should be told no.

if ty get the nod, will he be able to ride in the pl or will he have to ride in the el. . his average in the el qualifies him to ride over here . but in what league.

if ty rides in the pl this season and does not get a 7 point average, then it toast for him returning the following year. unless he gets into the top 4 in aus..