British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Eastbourne 2015

Although we didn't win we kept it much closer than at EL level. The team have a bit more knowledge of the track now which could lead to a win over Birmingham whenever we go back to race them!

So impressed with Bradley Wilson Dean at Perry Barr tonight, great talent

Yes, he sure is. Just two things about him for me/

1. I wish he could gate as he would win even more then and stop leaving us on the edge of our seats.

2. I hope he never learns to gate as it is so much fun watching him come from the back!

Mmm, have I just contradicted myself?

It was a long way to go last night to have the pain of winning by 7 but I did not feel it was a wasted trip. I also think we were a little flattered by Heathens falling while in pints scoring positions

I think there could be quite a few away victories for the Eagles this year. Should make up for the last 2 or 3 years

He did look very fast at perry barr last night and hes been beating Brendan 'Big head' Johnson hands down at somerset recently

Matt Bates has been drafted into the Eastbourne IT First Eagles team as a replacement for the injured Danny Warwick.

Bates captained the Devon Demons (riding at Plymouth) last year in the National League and comes recommended by Richard Andrews and his father, Gary.

Warwick is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after suffering a serious neck injury in last Sunday’s big win over King’s Lynn. He has now left hospital in Brighton and returned to his Poole home.

Bates is 25 years old and began his speedway career on his 15th birthday with Weymouth.

He will come in as a second string, having ridden last year as a heatleader in the curtailed Demons's season.

Last season Bates and Andrews were both in the Devon team.

Was it coincidence that Matt was at Birmingham last night having a spin or was it that Eastbourne had already arranged for him to have a ride, If it’s a case they had already made arrangements hats off to them for getting there arse off the seat and looking for a replacement for Danny which says he could be out for at least 12 weeks.

What about Mason? Needs to move off the line and maybe another replacement for him surprissed he went that far from home :t:

He did look very fast at perry barr last night and hes been beating Brendan 'Big head' Johnson hands down at somerset recently

Big mistake.

Eagles will suffer.

Johnson would have been a far better bet.

Big mistake.

Eagles will suffer.

Johnson would have been a far better bet.

Shall we wait and see how he does before we judge? If he goes bad we can change him for someone else. Anyway he's not a heat leader!

Maybe because all he ever rides is Somerset and Plymouth and he barely ever does midweek meetings.

Not really seen enough of Bates to judge him but Brendan is at Rye House for the time being so not an available option.

Id say it was a positive move by Eastbourne, much rather see any team track a full 1-7 than endless R/R

• Like 2

I agree with Islander. Bates missed a fair few midweek meetings for Devon last season.

He has a got a false NL average due to the imbalance of home fixtures.

To be fair though, I think he has ridden more laps of both Plymouth and Somerset than any other rider!

He is a white line rider and rarely ventures far from it. Trust me, No one but no one can ride the line tighter, even Mason.

Oh and by the way, Andrews would of course recommend Bates. They are related!

I said ages ago that when the Eagles had a choice of who to drop, it should have been Warwick.

• Like 1

I agree with Islander. Bates missed a fair few midweek meetings for Devon last season.

He has a got a false NL average due to the imbalance of home fixtures.

To be fair though, I think he has ridden more laps of both Plymouth and Somerset than any other rider!

He is a white line rider and rarely ventures far from it. Trust me, No one but no one can ride the line tighter, even Mason.

Oh and by the way, Andrews would of course recommend Bates. They are related!

I said ages ago that when the Eagles had a choice of who to drop, it should have been Warwick.

Why would you drop Warwick anyway? Last week he had scored 5 from 2 rides.... Would have easily got his average..... Guessing you are a Johnson fan personally I think it was the right decision

Penny are you related to Brendan as you dont seem to grasp the fact that he has been dropped from Eastbourne, This was due to a stupid make mistake by the club to fit BWD in who has probably droped less points then Breanan would have scored in each meeting upto day racing to an 11 point Average.

To say after Danny has broken is neck quote "I said ages ago that when the Eagles had a choice of who to drop, it should have been Warwick." is way out of order as he only dropped one point in his first 2 rides of the league before he got hurt, Danny was in the wrong place wrong time, and all you can think about is BDJ and a team place while Danny is in Hospital, How sick is that.

I think Penny its time you let it go and now Eastbourne have moved on and are going to use Bates shows that even if Brendan was avalible "which he is not" they would never let him in the team for how rude he was towards them and the public, as a BDJ fan you should have known that, I think along with all the others on this forum it is a positive move and i am happy that Eastbourne have found a replacement and i hope that Danny will be back soon.

Penny you are starting to be like an old penny just turn up with bad lucky maybe your in the pocket of BDJ, lets hope not for his sake.

Signing Matty Bates is a good move by Eastbourne, they have to move pretty quick as once they have ridden 4 meetings BWD will have a new average, and as we can see it will be far higher than his present 5 point average. Matty Bates is a decent rider and when he gates can be pretty quick, as for missing mid week meetings, if the Eagles are in with a shout of Silverware which they are, then i expect Bates to do far more mid week meetings than previously, and utilising RR away from home sometimes is NO disadvantage as i recall Buxton utilising that to good affect when they won the League a few years ago and had Garrity & Branford at reserve.

Good to see Eastbourne moving quick and making a signing,

There are not that many midweek meetings anyway so cant see that being an issue.

Good luck Matt. Welcome to the team.