British Speedway Forum

Thought I would start this thread, I like to see what everyone's thoughts are for the following season.

I actually struggled a bit building a team with riders I think would travel to ride at Glasgow... but here we go...

Richard Lawson 8.59

Anders Thomsen 5.68

Kevin Wolbert 5.86

Jason Garrity 6.19

Theo Pijper 6.60

Kasper Lykke 4.46

Dimitri Berge 4.90

I'm not sure what everyone's thoughts are on Kevin Wolbert, but I am the paranoid type who feels he would sign for another club next year and do spectacularly, so i feel on that average it could be worth the risk.

I know most people at Glasgow would like to see the son of god riding for us, I have never been a huge fan of his and would love to have Josh G back at number 1 but feel Richard would be more likely?

I don't really know what the situation is with Anders but we all know what we is capable of. If he has the commitment and the bikes then I would definitely have him back.

Jason Garrity is one I have wanted in the team for a couple of years now, he is very exciting to watch.

I keep reading about Theo possibly going to Berwick next year. I hope this is not true as I love him in the team as he is a great team player and captain.

Kasper is an absolute DEFINITE for me. I would be gutted if he did not return next year, I'm sure most people agree with me.

Same with Dimitri, what a rider he could become if he could stay injury free! Although I see Berwick have their eye on him too. At least we know he is an asset this time! For however much that is actually worth these days.

Another thing I am unsure of is Victor. My paranoid self rears it's head again when it comes to him. If he could come back on his own bikes (I hear he is loaning bikes from Daniel Nermark?) could he be a steal on a 3pt average?

I really wish we could have Rusty back in the team next year but I have heard a few times that he is retiring this year He has been nothing short of awesome for the tigers this season!

Edited by heather21
  • Like 1

I hope we pull out all the stops and the wallet to get Kasper and start him at reserve next season?! I am pretty sure Kevin will end up back at Edinburgh on that average! And not sure Jason would come up to Glasgow, as much as I would give him a chance as 2nd string. And yeah, I am bit like you as well in terms of Victor - could be a steal on a 3 point average next season. I might post a team myself later, but if reserves are Kasper and Victor - Dimitri would be in the main body of the team. And it has been suggested that Anders is doing Poland next year???

Its at this time of year for the last 3 years I have often wondered if there will be a Glasgow next year, having flirted with extinction several times. Crowds have dwindled from last year and the ownership are clearly covering the losses though can they do this forever?

The Greater Glasgow area has lost much of its footballing appetite with the loss of Rangers to lower leagues, their internal turmoil and the absolutely tedious SPL where even a rapidly downsizing Celtic could win the league hands down, by Christmas! This presents an opportunity for alternative sports in the Glasgow area to grow and having looked and visited some of them it seems speedway is the poorest of all, both in terms of crowds and facilities:

Glasgow Rocks Basketball - Adult £11, Child £7, adult season ticket £160. Play at the all seated indoor Emirates Arena, purpose built for the Commonwealth Games with superb spectator facilities. Regular time of Sundays @ 5pm.

Braehead Clan Ice Hockey - Adults £15, Child £9 for cheapest seats, Adult season ticket £315. Excellent all seated arena inside Braehead Shopping Mall, more car parking than you know what to do with. Usual time Saturdays @ 7pm. Crowds average 2600.

Glasgow Warriors Rugby - Adults £20 (£15 if booked online in advance), Child £5 for standing tickets. Adult season ticket £135. Play at Scotstoun Stadium. Seated areas are more expensive. Regular time of Friday @ 7.35pm or Saturday afternoons.

Contrast that with the speedway and we are the third world of sporting facilities in a run down 1900's stadium with an open air piss trough under the stand and a piss soaked portakabin on the corner masquerading as toilets. Times have more than moved on, spectators have greater expectations and won't accept this. First impressions count and how you lure newbies in is beyond comprehension.

In terms of spectator cost, on the day ticket prices are almost on par with above however an adult season ticket with the Tigers is £340 by far the most expensive other than the hockey, however the hockey offers a genuine sporting arena for almost the same money.

None of this is criticism of Glasgow but merely observations. I wonder how long the speedway can go on like this in its current state, nothing can be subsidised forever and it seems like a vicious circle of decline.

• Like 2

Lawson jr and sr at glasgow next season every sunday.....now that would be a dream, might even get my dad going again. Good looking side heather would be happy with that although rusty for kevin if possible.

Lawson jr and sr at glasgow next season every sunday.....now that would be a dream, might even get my dad going again. Good looking side heather would be happy with that although rusty for kevin if possible.

I agree on Rusty but I have heard a fair few times now that he will be retiring at the end of this season :(

• Like 1

I havent been much this year but from what ive read on updates etc hes been top man this season and truly exciting. I maybe catch a few end of season whatevers left to play I never saw young dimitri ride for us but hope i get chance next season.

I havent been much this year but from what ive read on updates etc hes been top man this season and truly exciting. I maybe catch a few end of season whatevers left to play I never saw young dimitri ride for us but hope i get chance next season.

Rusty has been truly excellent recently. If I could have my own way he would be riding for us again next season.

Lawson should have signed for 2014 god knows why he went to Redcar.

I was told by a rye house fan down redcar the other week that bunyans at Glasgow in 2015 ??

Thought I would start this thread, I like to see what everyone's thoughts are for the following season.

I actually struggled a bit building a team with riders I think would travel to ride at Glasgow... but here we go...

Richard Lawson 8.59 (8.22)

Anders Thomsen 5.68

Kevin Wolbert 5.86 (6.19)

Jason Garrity 6.19 (6.73)

Theo Pijper 6.60 (7.09)

Kasper Lykke 4.46 (4.65)

Dimitri Berge 4.90

42.28 (43.46)

I'm not sure what everyone's thoughts are on Kevin Wolbert, but I am the paranoid type who feels he would sign for another club next year and do spectacularly, so i feel on that average it could be worth the risk.

I know most people at Glasgow would like to see the son of god riding for us, I have never been a huge fan of his and would love to have Josh G back at number 1 but feel Richard would be more likely?

I don't really know what the situation is with Anders but we all know what we is capable of. If he has the commitment and the bikes then I would definitely have him back.

Jason Garrity is one I have wanted in the team for a couple of years now, he is very exciting to watch.

I keep reading about Theo possibly going to Berwick next year. I hope this is not true as I love him in the team as he is a great team player and captain.

Kasper is an absolute DEFINITE for me. I would be gutted if he did not return next year, I'm sure most people agree with me.

Same with Dimitri, what a rider he could become if he could stay injury free! Although I see Berwick have their eye on him too. At least we know he is an asset this time! For however much that is actually worth these days.

Another thing I am unsure of is Victor. My paranoid self rears it's head again when it comes to him. If he could come back on his own bikes (I hear he is loaning bikes from Daniel Nermark?) could he be a steal on a 3pt average?

I really wish we could have Rusty back in the team next year but I have heard a few times that he is retiring this year He has been nothing short of awesome for the tigers this season!

Think you have done what I did when looking at the Sheffield team for next and not taken what will be likely to be the finishing averages.

I have put the changes in brackets for you and unfortunately like me the team that you have chosen is slightly over the limit.

Looks like me you will have to go back to the drawing board.

Sorry.

I was told by a rye house fan down redcar the other week that bunyans at Glasgow in 2015 ??

You can never have enough second strings at GLA!

• Like 1

Kevin Wolbert 6.19.

When did he score as many as 6 points in a meeting?

• Like 3

A good start, in my opinion, for next year would be something along the lines of this below!! I am struggling to fill the two remaining heat leaders positions in terms of who would be available and who wants to come up to Glasgow, what with the points left.

Lawson is a must and needs to be at Glasgow at some point in his career, now is this time and is a brilliant number one - push the boat right out and make it happen please!

I think we need to give Victor a slot at reserve, as judging from what I have read - should do ok there and means there is more points available for elsewhere in the team. Kasper should be bought and left to continue with progression at Ashfield, 'cos if and when he canlearn to gate - not many will catch him on the inside.

Dimitri would start in the main body of the team, but should probably swap positions with Kasper throughout the season. Theo is very reliable and can't not have him for next season.
Is Rusty retiring? Is Kev heading back to Edinburger? Is Anders trying Poland next year? Do we keep Tero and have Dimitri & Kasper at reserve?

1 Richard Lawson 8.22 2 Dimitri Berge 4.9 3 4 Theo Pijper 7.09 5 6 Kasper Lykke 4.65 7 Victor Palovaara 3 27.86 14.64