British Speedway Forum
Ommer Mon

Coventry V Cradley Nl Koc Sf 26/9/14

Nathan Grieves is a animal thats whats happened. Started a fight with Sarj because he had to be warned 3 times to move out of Sarjeants gate. He is squaring up to the crowd and there has been a huge punch up which has left a mechanic injured and ambulance needed.

Nathan is a disgrace and should be ashamed, Horrible to watch. Even his own fans looked shocked and are booing him.

Hopefully he will face a ban

Wearing your usual 'impartial' hat then?....not sure if your the best person to report on this as you love to blame everything other than your own club

• Like 1

Ive just returned from the meeting and have to say I am shocked, embarrassed and overwhelmed at what I have just seen!

I would like to put on record that to all the Heathens, Coventry and Wolves fans at the meeting should be applauded. Yes things were shouted and people may have been gouded but what happened after heat 10 could have easily set the crowd into a mass brawl.

Ive only followed speedway for 3 years im a newbie but my dad has quoted that fistycuffs are part and parcel of the sport but what I saw tonight was some of the worst scenes of violence I have ever whitnessed.

I will be writing a letter to my beloved club about what happened tonight and I hope that our riders are punished and disaplined accordingly, and also to the Storm riders and all the mechanics

• Like 1

Nathan Grieves is a animal thats whats happened. Started a fight with Sarj because he had to be warned 3 times to move out of Sarjeants gate. He is squaring up to the crowd and there has been a huge punch up which has left a mechanic injured and ambulance needed.

Nathan is a disgrace and should be ashamed, Horrible to watch. Even his own fans looked shocked and are booing him.

Did you actually witness what you have reported?

• Like 2

All makes for an interesting Coventry vs Swindon heat 2 on Monday - with Mr Sarjeant and Mr Grieves.

Are you sure it wasn't a Horton arranged publicity stunt to try and draw local boxing fans in too ?

• Like 2

From various texts i have received tonight from a couple of heathens fans it sound to me like sarjaent probably due severe punishment for leaving bike in dangerous place, fighting, and pushing greaves bike over. Greaves a severe punishment for fighting and squaring up to fans. Danny Phillips possibly the worst offence in pulling a rider off of his bike when he was riding back to pits. And an unnamed rider from storm has allegedly run over a heathen mechanic.

Those seem to be the must serious offenders but sounds like there are not many riders who are guilt free.

Could certainly change the whole complection of the play off picture if the Bspa act decisively and promptly.

All the shenanigans have over shadowed the fact that British under 19 champion Oliver Greenwood is in hospital with a suspected broken leg. Hopefully that proves not as serious as feared.

As a mature Speedway supporter a comment on Greaves v Sargeant the antics on the gate should have been stopped by the referee, he has the responsibility for the conduct of he meeting. One or both should have been disqualified, it was obvious tempers were frayed and that is not the way a Speedway race should have been started. I would suggest that had the referee used his powers then what happened afterwards wouldn't have happened. As a Coventry supporter I can't agree with some some of the commens about CH supporters behaviour. I spoke with a number of them and they were as shocked as others about the happenings. I was on first bend and there was no misbehaviour by them. Hope the guy who got knocked down is OK. There was no excuse for Greaves to jump Ito the crowd to seek out someone who had shouted. This type of conduct could quite easily have caused trouble o the terraces, which it didn't the CH supporters were NOT at fault.

Edited by abbo
  • Like 4

It all started at the start line, both Greaves and Sarjeant wanting the same bit of track...Ref having none of it and it took an age to get heat 10 started.

The race eventually started and it was tight out the gate and there was some barging from Sarjeant on Nathan but all through first corner ok.

They go into lap three and Sarjeants bike packs up going over the start finish line and he then decides to park his bike in the middle of the track. He then goes to confront Greaves and have words before Nathan lashed out with a couple of pushes and shoves. It gets seperated and Sarjeant remounts his bike to head back to pits but kicks Greaves bike over...Greaves then chases after him into the pits and Sarjeant is taken off his bike by Danny Phillips and then it all kicks off with alot of people involved...Mechanics and riders alike.

One mechanic is down on the floor and is treated and all is calmed down before Nathan jumps the fence into the crowd to confront a fan (Coventry, Wolves or Cradley I dont know).

Thats me being unbaised and all the riders mechanics and officals involved need to be punished and BOTH teams thrown out of the KOC.

• Like 3

It all started at the start line, both Greaves and Sarjeant wanting the same bit of track...Ref having none of it and it took an age to get heat 10 started.

The race eventually started and it was tight out the gate and there was some barging from Sarjeant on Nathan but all through first corner ok.

They go into lap three and Sarjeants bike packs up going over the start finish line and he then decides to park his bike in the middle of the track. He then goes to confront Greaves and have words before Nathan lashed out with a couple of pushes and shoves. It gets seperated and Sarjeant remounts his bike to head back to pits but kicks Greaves bike over...Greaves then chases after him into the pits and Sarjeant is taken off his bike by Danny Phillips and then it all kicks off with alot of people involved...Mechanics and riders alike.

One mechanic is down on the floor and is treated and all is calmed down before Nathan jumps the fence into the crowd to confront a fan (Coventry, Wolves or Cradley I dont know).

Thats me being unbaised and all the riders mechanics and officals involved need to be punished and BOTH teams thrown out of the KOC.

Took 3 members of the family along tonight, the first time all 3 had been to a speedway meeting. Luckily they are all adults and weren’t affected by what went on. But if I’d taken 3 children along tonight and witnessed what happened I’d be absolute furious that they had to see that. I’m no angel, but tonight was shocking really shocking.

I’m not going to make any comment about after the race I’ll leave that up to officials, but I agree with Abbo that the ref really should have been stronger and sorted out the start line run in, I sensed and many around me felt something bad was going to happen.

Best wishes to Oliver G and the mechanic.

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 3

The yellow exclusion light was put on by the referee when Sarj's bike slowed and it was announced that Greaves had been excluded for unfair riding. This was the cause of the confrontation, what happened next is better not commented on until all the facts come out.

Edited by Silver Cheetah Snr

And here is what Nathan Greaves alleges happened, taken from his FB page.

Anyone who knows me and my dad personally know we would not cause any trouble, James was cheating over my gate at the start line and in the end I just moved to please him, I gated him and led him for three laps he caught my back wheel trying to pass me and fell off, then he came up to me and said abusive things and shoved his head in my face, so I pushed it away, then he kicked my bike and ran my dad over and knocked him to the floor, to knock a 16stone man to the floor you must be riding into them with force, then his mechanic grabbed me by the neck as I was running so I couldn't breath so my dad hit him, sadly he's unconcious but none of this would of happened if James didn't turn around and except he had fell off and I beaten him, then I went over to whoever was on the floor to see if he was okay and someone from the crowd shouts something about my dad so in temper I obviously react, just wanted to clear that up with everyone who now hates me.

And thats from the horses mouth so to speak, i myself do not condone such behavior, but there are certain circumstances surrounding this, which need to be investigated, Not only the riders, mechanics, but also the starting Marshall and referee, allegedly Nathan Greaves is being reported to the BSPA by the referee, it appears to me, that the same needs to be done of a certain other rider.

I was in the upper stand bar and had an excellent view of the whole on track incident. It all started on the start line as others have said, the start marshal tried to put some distance between Sarjeant and Greaves and both riders had words. Greaves did not move and infringed on gate one. The referee allowed the race to start and there were elbows into the first corner. Greaves clearly turned left on Sarjeant on the home straight resulting in the race being stopped at the time when Sarjeant pulled up. Greaves was excluded for DANGEROUS riding. Both riders had words and Greaves clearly attacked Sarjeant throwing punches. Sarjeant rides off, turns and rides at Greaves and kicks his bike over. Greaves chases Sarjeant on foot off the track, Sarjeant knocks an official over. Others get involved on the Rugby bend, and to be honest, I could not see exactly what happened from where I was standing, but it looked very ugly with a number of people getting involved. I was stood with Coventry and Cradley supporters in the bar, and there were no problems whatsoever. I spoke with Cradley supporters and there was no friction or ill feeling between fans. This was simply a situation that got out of hand. I do agree with others that the referee could have acted earlier and perhaps this would not have happened.

• Like 1

And here is what Nathan Greaves alleges happened, taken from his FB page.

Anyone who knows me and my dad personally know we would not cause any trouble, James was cheating over my gate at the start line and in the end I just moved to please him, I gated him and led him for three laps he caught my back wheel trying to pass me and fell off, then he came up to me and said abusive things and shoved his head in my face, so I pushed it away, then he kicked my bike and ran my dad over and knocked him to the floor, to knock a 16stone man to the floor you must be riding into them with force, then his mechanic grabbed me by the neck as I was running so I couldn't breath so my dad hit him, sadly he's unconcious but none of this would of happened if James didn't turn around and except he had fell off and I beaten him, then I went over to whoever was on the floor to see if he was okay and someone from the crowd shouts something about my dad so in temper I obviously react, just wanted to clear that up with everyone who now hates me.

And thats from the horses mouth so to speak, i myself do not condone such behavior, but there are certain circumstances surrounding this, which need to be investigated, Not only the riders, mechanics, but also the starting Marshall and referee, allegedly Nathan Greaves is being reported to the BSPA by the referee, it appears to me, that the same needs to be done of a certain other rider.

What a load of crap.

• Like 3

What a load of crap.

He leaves out the bit where he was warned 3 times at the start as he was in JAMES lane. He leaves out the bit where he turned left on James (who stayed on) He also forgets the part where the lights come on and he is excluded for Dangerous riding.

The "push he mentions" was a punch and he forgets the bit where James mechanic stuck up for James as Nathan, his dad and another man all came at James when he was trying to get back to the pits.

And yes I was there

Respect to both sets of fans (as well as wolves) as it was actually the crudely and bees fans that Nathan started on, because they booed him

• Like 1

Biased or what, it was a few Wolves fans in the Crowd who were booing him.