British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2015

i dont see a problem starting a thread with that title as other posters are starting new threads when the season is not over yet..

Edited by jenga

Haven't looked at any averages for team building for next year, think I'll wait a bit for that, but my bug bear, and something I would love to see happen during the close season, is the removal of all the banking at DP and take the track back to where it was in 1999, flatter smoother and a lot more racing lines than we have now, something drastic needs to happen to get some racing back and hopefully the missing supporters?

Yes, it wont be the only thing required for that to happen but, it would be a start!! :t:

so you want to go back to 1999 and remove the banking to a flat racing surface. ,, 1999 was a good year for passinf and racing at workington because we were still finding our feet on our own track. we did have stoney and his golden double rides were heaven to watch. i think a lot of tracks are gate and go now because everyone is so evenly matched.(except somerset where the racing is top drawer and according to the last updates site .. it was all over by the first 30 mtrs) we could always go and get some grippt shale off peter waite, remember tat stuff. where is it now .

tracks good. why dont we do a edinburgh and move the start line ti the back straight and this will give us a wider 1st and 2nd bends with more passing in the first part of the race.

then we could move the pits to where the old scoreboard is and have th riders come straight down to the start line. put the tractors in the pit ares. and this will give a good view of the riders in their working area.like redcar.

better musica and sound system to get the lads /fans motivated during the meeting deffo hoggy on the mike.(sorry steve. you are god , but hoggy is better)

only a few team changes for next year. KEEP YOU OWN ASSETS and add to them. the bigger the hand , the tighter the grip you have on your own riders fixture wise.

1 no josh for me.

2 ricky wells deffo. good record away. make him an asset.

3 rene. welcome back.

4 mason. yes , but try to squeeze him into the reserve berth.

5. kyle yep. club asset. cant have another year like this year.bad luck all round6/7 toss up between jacobs and lambo, think lambo shades it for me.

ony 2 riders to find

Edited by jenga

The fence posts on the Workington track are still the original posts in there original place. The banking has never changed at all. The shape has though which has taken away a lot of our home advantage.

Jenga some strange team picks there.

1 no Josh. Why he is a brilliant rider who gives 100%

2 deffo Ricky Why he is boring to watch and has made two passes all year at Derwent Park.

3 Rene In my opinion the worst captain Workington have ever had. Never team rides and complains non stop about anything which has a negative affect on the other riders. If the captain is always complaining about the track bike weather his van the airport the travel everything how do you think the younger riders feel watching him spit his dummy out every week.

• Like 1

The fence posts on the Workington track are still the original posts in there original place. The banking has never changed at all. The shape has though which has taken away a lot of our home advantage.

2 deffo Ricky Why he is boring to watch and has made two passes all year at Derwent Park.

3 Rene In my opinion the worst captain Workington have ever had. Never team rides and complains non stop about anything which has a negative affect on the other riders. If the captain is always complaining about the track bike weather his van the airport the travel everything how do you think the younger riders feel watching him spit his dummy out every week.

some good points there and at the early part of the season i would agree with you about josh but im not so sure about the second part josh dosnt look as keen when riding derwent park

rene for me has been big dispointment very rare have i seen him try to team ride always has a go at the lower riders when they finish ahead not a team player in my eyes

and as for jengas post well you never know if its his sarcastic humour or his actuall thoughts

up untill a few weeks ago i never rated wells atall but hes been 1 of the best riders for workington in some of the last meetings proberbly since being dropped from elite league which is also why i think josh aint as bothered if riders want to save them selves for the snobs league then dont ride prem league we all know the elite league is now the easy option compared to the competative prem league

unless scrabbleman becomes a club asset. we need to have first pull on moat, if not all riders. its no good him riding for poole and then miss meetings to ride in poland because matt ford decides he has to be there to represent poole. would like to see him back and as an asset.

ricky well.. lou sansom also didnt do much passing around the tracks.he was a good gater. ricky can put a few starts together.

wouldnt mind jason garrity in the team , that would leaave worky with a max d/u riders of 1 who the dont have the first pull on, unless they signed for worky first or were an asset.

think the 2015 team will be something like this.

no room for ash. he had a really bad crash and for his own health i think he should give next season a miss...we need our own guys in the team.

Never said they weren't, I said take the banking off altogether and get it flat?? :blink: As for the "banking has never been changed" why did Keith Denham announce that he had put "extra" banking on to help riders onto the then "narrower straights" that were around at that time, when the track was widened I felt that banking should have come back off as to me it serves no purpose at all, definitely doesn't improve the racing for me!!

Agree with the bottom bit though, a tad harsh maybe but pretty much in the ball park, from what I've heard of course!! ;)

The current team averages total to 40.38, we can keep the spine of the team and add over 2 points to it.

I'd keep:

Josh G 8.11

Ricky wells 6.46

Howarth 6.31

Campton 4.55

Lambert 3.25

The reasoning in that would to have Campton at reserve, I think Bach will be elsewhere next season, and it wouldn't be a bad move for the Comets. That leaves around 13.82 left, next season a lot of riders will be forced to ride elsewhere because of averages, especially riders from the Monarchs and Rebels, there are lots of combinations to look at.

The current team averages total to 40.38, we can keep the spine of the team and add over 2 points to it.

I'd keep:

Josh G 8.11

Ricky wells 6.46

Howarth 6.31

Campton 4.55

Lambert 3.25

The reasoning in that would to have Campton at reserve, I think Bach will be elsewhere next season, and it wouldn't be a bad move for the Comets. That leaves around 13.82 left, next season a lot of riders will be forced to ride elsewhere because of averages, especially riders from the Monarchs and Rebels, there are lots of combinations to look at.

I've seen that bach has signed for a polish team and has done the last 3 weeks there and scored well so I could see him at a Thursday track next year but would like to see him back at newcastle

Never said they weren't, I said take the banking off altogether and get it flat?? :blink: As for the "banking has never been changed" why did Keith Denham announce that he had put "extra" banking on to help riders onto the then "narrower straights" that were around at that time, when the track was widened I felt that banking should have come back off as to me it serves no purpose at all, definitely doesn't improve the racing for me!!

Agree with the bottom bit though, a tad harsh maybe but pretty much in the ball park, from what I've heard of course!! ;)

Did you not change the exit coming off the forth bend fairly early on in your existence. Seem to remember riders complaining about being pushed out to the fence and they thought it was dangerous, as well as a change to the gate area for the tractors. I remember the second bend being widened , was that because of the big smash when a rider or bike went over and injured someone.

Did you not change the exit coming off the forth bend fairly early on in your existence. Seem to remember riders complaining about being pushed out to the fence and they thought it was dangerous, as well as a change to the gate area for the tractors. I remember the second bend being widened , was that because of the big smash when a rider or bike went over and injured someone.

It was, because the straights at DP are so skinny due to the width/length of the rugby pitch?

If the stadium was redesigned on the style of the old Odsal Stadium at Bradford where the bends had a natural angle in and out banking wouldn't be that much of an issue?

What would help is if the Rugby club would cut out a chunk of the try scoring area on all the corners and fit artificial grass which could be laid/lifted to allow a more flowing entry and exit from the bends, it's that sharp turn round a square edge that causes the problems, it's the track layout which needs addressed rather than just shoving banking on?

Think the second bend was pushed back a bit but it was always a bottle neck, remember many riders getting squeezed into the fence down there by an errant route taken by the inside rider, Mick Powell for one?

I remember an incident on the first bend many years ago which resulted in an injury to a young lad in the crowd when a bike crashed over the fence and bounced up the terracing, think that was when the standing area all around the ground was pushed back by the H&S executive although it was a bit later when entry to the back straight was curtailed at the exit of bend two, though that could have been through the construction of the viewing platform for the sponsors as much as anything else!!

• Like 1

For what it's worth before we know team building rules I think we will retain Ricky (steal on that average IMO), have a reserve pairing of Mason and Joe or Simon, possibly get Josh back depending on his other commitments. I think Rene won't be riding for us or possibly anyone in the UK and just concentrating on Denmark, Poland and Sweden if he can get it. I think Kyle needs a season away from Workington and I think Ashley would be part of any move by Cradley to move up to the Premier League. New riders I'd like to see are Jorgensen (done great when guesting for us) Bellego (flies around DP) and maybe even Roynon back on that low average. Final thought at the moment would be that I and probably many others would love Cookie back in the big C, probably won't happen but we can hope :D .

so you want to go back to 1999 and remove the banking to a flat racing surface. ,, 1999 was a good year for passinf and racing at workington because we were still finding our feet on our own track. we did have stoney and his golden double rides were heaven to watch. i think a lot of tracks are gate and go now because everyone is so evenly matched.(except somerset where the racing is top drawer and according to the last updates site .. it was all over by the first 30 mtrs) we could always go and get some grippt shale off peter waite, remember tat stuff. where is it now .

tracks good. why dont we do a edinburgh and move the start line ti the back straight and this will give us a wider 1st and 2nd bends with more passing in the first part of the race.

then we could move the pits to where the old scoreboard is and have th riders come straight down to the start line. put the tractors in the pit ares. and this will give a good view of the riders in their working area.like redcar.

better musica and sound system to get the lads /fans motivated during the meeting deffo hoggy on the mike.(sorry steve. you are god , but hoggy is better)

only a few team changes for next year. KEEP YOU OWN ASSETS and add to them. the bigger the hand , the tighter the grip you have on your own riders fixture wise.

1 no josh for me.

2 ricky wells deffo. good record away. make him an asset.

3 rene. welcome back.

4 mason. yes , but try to squeeze him into the reserve berth.

5. kyle yep. club asset. cant have another year like this year.bad luck all round6/7 toss up between jacobs and lambo, think lambo shades it for me.

ony 2 riders to find

Ricky wells is a Wolves assett

For what it's worth before we know team building rules I think we will retain Ricky (steal on that average IMO), have a reserve pairing of Mason and Joe or Simon, possibly get Josh back depending on his other commitments. I think Rene won't be riding for us or possibly anyone in the UK and just concentrating on Denmark, Poland and Sweden if he can get it. I think Kyle needs a season away from Workington and I think Ashley would be part of any move by Cradley to move up to the Premier League. New riders I'd like to see are Jorgensen (done great when guesting for us) Bellego (flies around DP) and maybe even Roynon back on that low average. Final thought at the moment would be that I and probably many others would love Cookie back in the big C, probably won't happen but we can hope :D .

Absolutely DD, beat me to it on that suggestion. :t: Not sure about Bellego tho, yes, does go well here but what about anywhere else, also seems to ride abroad quite a bit, Roynon, been there done that handy rider on his day but too injury prone for me?

Agree about Rene, definitely needs a spell away just doesn't look happy here, Newky would be my bet for him depending on the Euro commitments for Sunday's?

Ricky should be retained if possible as middle order with TJ, potentially good combo that!! ;)

Ricky wells is a Wolves assett

You've misread Jenga's post there clambo, it's posted as "make" Wells an asset, it's not stating that he "was" ;).

good to see people actually read posts and dont speed ream em..