British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2015

Bit disappointed gates not open to public until 5pm. Press and practice days for supporters to watch were always during the day or at least the ones I went to over the years. Has it changed recently anyone please ?

I too am disappointed that the gates don't open till 5pm. This is the NEW concept, first introduced last year. Why, I don't know... Like you say, the day was always open to the public who wanted to go and be part of it. There was never massive numbers, or any problems with the fans, just something that those, who choose, could do . It gave some the perfect opportunity to meet the riders and get some decent photos of their idols. Now everything has moved on. They don't want the fans to engross on the Press and Tele boys taking similar pictures. We, the fans will have to wait until the end of the proceedings, and be satisfied watching a few laps after 5pm.

Its just another reason, highlighting the low importance the fans are given, and thus fuels the public perception, that has seen the interest continue to wane over the past decades..........

Once upon a time, I use to take a days holiday from work, just to attend the Press Days. Now, not allowed in till 5pm, I question the logic of even bothering to go........

• Like 3

I too am disappointed that the gates don't open till 5pm. This is the NEW concept, first introduced last year. Why, I don't know... Like you say, the day was always open to the public who wanted to go and be part of it. There was never massive numbers, or any problems with the fans, just something that those, who choose, could do . It gave some the perfect opportunity to meet the riders and get some decent photos of their idols. Now everything has moved on. They don't want the fans to engross on the Press and Tele boys taking similar pictures. We, the fans will have to wait until the end of the proceedings, and be satisfied watching a few laps after 5pm.

Its just another reason, highlighting the low importance the fans are given, and thus fuels the public perception, that has seen the interest continue to wane over the past decades..........

Once upon a time, I use to take a days holiday from work, just to attend the Press Days. Now, not allowed in till 5pm, I question the logic of even bothering to go........

Like you, I used to take a days holiday. Loved P & P day just sitting there watching and taking it all in, no rush, just relax and watch the lads. Now, do we want to travel 30+ miles for P&P ?

This was always the supporters day as far as I was concerned, seeing a little bit of behind the scenes so to speak. It seems to be ' not bothered about supporters ' to me !!!

• Like 3

As long as people can turn up and see all the riders having a skid for a good few hours from 5pm then happy days? Honestly don't see the big deal here.

Most people wont be able to get there before 6-6.30pm because of work anyway.

Perhaps they'll organise a couple of match races to make it a little more interesting? Or post some lap times on the score board?

Let's be positive people, just cannot wait to see some speedway again!

As long as people can turn up and see all the riders having a skid for a good few hours from 5pm then happy days? Honestly don't see the big deal here.

Most people wont be able to get there before 6-6.30pm because of work anyway.

Perhaps they'll organise a couple of match races to make it a little more interesting? Or post some lap times on the score board?

Let's be positive people, just cannot wait to see some speedway again!

Not so much a big deal as a disappointment TBH. It used to be a day out and more preferable during daylight hours for us and maybe a bit warmer too !!! us oldies feel the cold more !! Hope the sun shines for everyone !!

Also disappointed we will miss Rory's meeting as we are away.

• Like 1

Not so much a big deal as a disappointment TBH. It used to be a day out and more preferable during daylight hours for us and maybe a bit warmer too !!! us oldies feel the cold more !! Hope the sun shines for everyone !!

Also disappointed we will miss Rory's meeting as we are away.

There is a nice bit in this week's Speedway Star on the 1963 Norwich Stars season which should cheer you 'oldies' up : )

• Like 1

There is a nice bit in this week's Speedway Star on the 1963 Norwich Stars season which should cheer you 'oldies' up : )

I remember it well.......... :t: My baptism into the sport.

Thinking back though, why was everything so BLACK ?? The bikes, the track, the leathers........

Pleased the way the sport has evolved, just a pity the crowds don't flock in like they used to.....

• Like 2

Interesting read that one of the Norwich Riders Knocked Ove Fundin spark out as he was cheesed off with Fundin riding over him to get passed. Fundin certainly appeared to not care whether it was team mate or Oppostion in front of him, he was coming through.

Never had the pleasure of seeing Speedway at the Firs, But My late father told me plenty about it.

Like you, I used to take a days holiday. Loved P & P day just sitting there watching and taking it all in, no rush, just relax and watch the lads. Now, do we want to travel 30+ miles for P&P ?

This was always the supporters day as far as I was concerned, seeing a little bit of behind the scenes so to speak. It seems to be ' not bothered about supporters ' to me !!!

It is Press Day. The Press are working.

They do not want to be crowded by well-meaning fans trying to get shots.

A good set of pictures and background footage has to last a season.

It is not a day for the fans as you suggest - the name is on the "tin" and should do that job.

Never had the pleasure of seeing Speedway at the Firs, But My late father told me plenty about it.

I know time has a way of distorting things, but the impression it made on me has never diminished in all those years. Only a young boy, when I accompanied my Dad whenever he went. Real motor-bike nut my dad, he would go to all forms of racing. Scrambles and Moto Cross was always high on the agenda, but if a week went past and no scramble close by, then we would always go to the Firs to get our weekly dose of Castrol R....

Massive place, the crowds would flock to any vantage point. The noise, was deafening. Pat Boon singing 'Love letters in the sand' was the only record I can remember, It seemed to be always playing. I think the Norwich Stars usually won, and Ove Fundin was rarely beaten. My dad use to hang back at the end to let the crowd disperse. Remember going through the pits and seeing an old Aub Lawson and a young Terry Betts. Wonderful times......

Sure was a sad day when the Stadium closed. but fortunately speedway started up at Lynn after a 3 yr gap, I was one of the first through the door......

Would love a quid for every meeting I've been too................

Footnote: Following Scrambles like we did, we witnessed the exploits of Andy Lee from an early age. Have in my procession cine film of Andy Lee winning the Cambridge Grand National at Elsworth in the early 60's Standing long side at the presentations is Andy's wife, Valerie, holding a little 1yr old boy.......... Michael Lee..

Strange, that years later, he was to grace the sport I came to love....... :drink:

To be honest I thought it was only ever open to the public in the evening anyway. An insurance thing perhaps?

I too am disappointed that the gates don't open till 5pm. This is the NEW concept, first introduced last year.

P&P has been an evening thing since 2008 I thought

Sure it's been like this since PL days.

There will never be a time that suits everyone but at least 5PM gives chance for people with families to come and those who are working to attend.

• Like 1

P&P has been an evening thing since 2008 I thought

Maybe it is the KLYS that I went to see at PP on a Friday then. Sure that was last year ? Memory fading now. I remember Newcastle was always during the day. Ah well roll on Wednesday.

Edited by whippy

Shame that Emil has been forced to pull out of Rory's testimonial - thanks to Lezsno pulling rank and setting up something short notice which he has no choice to attend. Feel sorry for Rory as it was quite a coup to get Emil back riding in the UK. Still should be a good meeting, sounds like Rory has some plans up his sleeve regarding the format of the meeting. Any innovation is welcome!!!

Shame that Emil has been forced to pull out of Rory's testimonial - thanks to Lezsno pulling rank and setting up something short notice which he has no choice to attend. Feel sorry for Rory as it was quite a coup to get Emil back riding in the UK. Still should be a good meeting, sounds like Rory has some plans up his sleeve regarding the format of the meeting. Any innovation is welcome!!!

Emil pulling out was always going to happen. He barely mentioned Rory's meeting or he was ever traveling to the UK on social media. Hence why I never got excited by his name being mentioned.