British Speedway Forum

I think a lot of that depends on whether there is a covered/cantilevered grandstand to contain the atmosphere, on the home straight especially. I may have missed it, but i haven't seen anything in the plans or talk about it having a covered main straight?

It needs something to contain the noise of the bikes and the crowd to heighten the experience. Its something i didn't notice had such an effect until i went to a couple of meetings at Somerset. Even though there was a big crowd, the general noise and atmosphere had nothing to reflect off or contain it, so it just goes straight up into the air above, resulting, i think in the atmosphere being a little more flat and muted than it should be.

The abbey has just about enough of a roof over the main straight currently to contain some noise, but the best example is probably at Poole. When the grandstand has plenty of people in it making some noise (only when they're winning obviously), not only is it loud when you're in there, but it also projects the noise out onto the other parts of the stadium as well. When people get cheering in there,you can really hear it from the bends. If you took that away from Wimbourne road, the atmosphere would certainly take a nose dive all round the stadium.

I suspect the noise you refer to is the silver threads banging their knitting needles together, putting their false teeth back in or the clinking of tea cups...

• Like 1

Most big meetings will still be at Kings Lynn or Belle Vue so can't see the point in having a stadium for an odd meeting like a under 21 round.

Just glad we'll have a stadium to replace the old girl.

There are plenty of FIM meetings which have to be held somewhere. Large stadiums come with large overheads, so hosting a meeting that will only attract 2-3,000 doesn't make much commercial sense.

There are plenty of FIM meetings which have to be held somewhere. Large stadiums come with large overheads, so hosting a meeting that will only attract 2-3,000 doesn't make much commercial sense.

Can understand that but if that's the way it has to be to keep Swindon Robins going then a smaller stadium is the only option.

Rosco has stated that Blunsdon will be able to hold bigger meetings, so it seems the adver has probably got it wrong again. Should be able to confirm this on tues evening. There is one big meeting they are hoping to have in 2016.

Maybe, like BV and there ability to increase capacity for big events Swindon will be the same?

Maybe, like BV and there ability to increase capacity for big events Swindon will be the same?

Possibly. To be fair I haven't seen any actual plans so temporary seating could be an option if they were to host big meetings.

Right ok, so how big is this track going to be ? just because its shaped like cardiff, doesn't mean to say it will be Cardiff's size.275 mtrs. And yes your right about Somerset 300 mtrs whether it was fault or design. But if your that much against it, you either lodge a protest or you don't go, simple really, but to be honest, i think you'l be in a minority.

'Dont go'?..protest?...why dont you just hush you village idiot!...am allowed to make a comment or raise a concern about the blueprint for the track but dont appreciate being told what to do by an individual of your obvious ignorance and stupidity now jog on

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 2

Press and Practice today, stadium open at 4.30 for practice followed by meeting the riders at 6.30 in one of the bars.

Practice went well, apart from the wind and cold. The riders looked ok especially Nick and the two reserves, thurs against riders will give a better indication of how they are going.

It was good to meet up with Chalkie before the practice started and what I was told was that the figure of 2500 is the number that can be seated with many more standing around the track as now.

• Like 2

'Dont go'?..protest?...why dont you just hush you village idiot!...am allowed to make a comment or raise a concern about the blueprint for the track but dont appreciate being told what to do by an individual of your obvious ignorance and stupidity now

Like i said, you'l be in a minority, many Swindon fans will just be happy and thankful to have Speedway, on a track probably smaller than you have now, where you'l see proper racing..So don't knock it untill you've seen it.

Edited by Starman2006

Will they allow dogs in their super duper new stadium or will the jobsworth stewards be transferring there as well? :lol: Really miss my trips to Swindon - it's not the same just going to the Cotswold Wildlife Park without a speedway meeting afterwards. :neutral:

Practice went well, apart from the wind and cold. The riders looked ok especially Nick and the two reserves, thurs against riders will give a better indication of how they are going.

It was good to meet up with Chalkie before the practice started and what I was told was that the figure of 2500 is the number that can be seated with many more standing around the track as now.

That makes more sense.