British Speedway Forum

I see Gracans points. Personally I'll be paying the fiver in advance (which is £5 more than they would have got if it was normal prices as I'd have stayed at home and watched on tele). But surely the average floating fan is NOT going to have the inclination to go online and book tickets. All that is going to happen here is that 80-90% of those buying tickets will be those who would have gone anyway. If you're "meh" enough to not be going for £17 because it's on Sky you're going to be "meh" about going online before the meeting. This should be an opportunity to drag many locals who have always said, "£17?! £17?! I'm not paying that" by telling them it's £5.

So yes, good idea but IMO, poorly executed. Why not just let people in for £5 on the day? Even £7 so there some intensive to buy online if needs be.

I see Gracans points. Personally I'll be paying the fiver in advance (which is £5 more than they would have got if it was normal prices as I'd have stayed at home and watched on tele). But surely the average floating fan is NOT going to have the inclination to go online and book tickets. All that is going to happen here is that 80-90% of those buying tickets will be those who would have gone anyway. If you're "meh" enough to not be going for £17 because it's on Sky you're going to be "meh" about going online before the meeting. This should be an opportunity to drag many locals who have always said, "£17?! £17?! I'm not paying that" by telling them it's £5.

So yes, good idea but IMO, poorly executed. Why not just let people in for £5 on the day? Even £7 so there some intensive to buy online if needs be.

Spot on if it's a fiver on the gate I will go ...just can't be assed to book on line .

• Like 1

Spot on if it's a fiver on the gate I will go ...just can't be assed to book on line .

You not going to either of the next two meetings where they'll also be available?

There's no pleasing some people! This is a very innovative move by the Swindon management. People on here have been banging on for years about speedway being only worth a tenner a meeting. So Rosco and Co grasp the nettle in what is no doubt difficult times, and do something pretty special in my opinion.

Why don't we all embrace such a move and congratulate the management???

• Like 6

There's no pleasing some people! This is a very innovative move by the Swindon management. People on here have been banging on for years about speedway being only worth a tenner a meeting. So Rosco and Co grasp the nettle in what is no doubt difficult times, and do something pretty special in my opinion.

Why don't we all embrace such a move and congratulate the management???

I haven't. I think the normal admission price is reasonable enough.

All I'm saying is that I don't think making it advance tickets is the bet way of doing it if they want to get the highest number of people in.

It's not just about us. Yeah, it's great we can go for a fiver. If I want to, it's easy for me to get an advance ticket, as it is for all of us on here.

I'm not thinking only from my own point of view of attending. I think needing advance tickets can put some people off from making the effort.

This isn't done as a favour to you and me. This is done to get as many as possible in for a tv meeting, and Swindon do more than a lot of clubs do with regard to that.

I just think it's easier and more effective to charge 5 quid on the day.

If this was as a favour to regular fans then no problem. But that's not the reason behind it.

The main issue here is that anyone who looks at the website would get the impression that the meeting will cost £5 and that tickets can be purchased in advance. It was only mentioned by the guy on the mike last night at the meeting that on the day the turnstyle price would be as normal, so anyone who did not go last night or fans from Coventry or other clubs would not know that the turnstyle price is as per normal. This is a great deal but the conditions of £5 entry needs to be made clear. Now it may be that the management, as in the past, do reduce the turnstyle price but that was not mentioned anywhere. Communication with the fans needs to be improved.

http://www.swindonrobins.co/news.php?extend.2419

Edited by A ORLOV

The web site definitely gives the impression that admission is a fiver, regardless of whether you buy a ticket in advance or not.

I don't want to join in with the negative comments but I can see all sides of the arguments. However, I resisted buying a £5 ticket last night, preferring to wait a bit and buy online-no facility to do so as yet (strange!) I then clicked on the Sky 'Buy entry for £15' link on the Swindon website, naively thinking that it would be possible from there. Interestingly, there is a page displaying Date (0) Event (0) Prices from (0) (even stranger!)

Oh and by the way, can Swindon not airbrush Adrian out of the team picture, cos he ain't coming back if you read into this:- http://totalswindonsport.com/2015/05/miedzinski-will-return-to-england-slowly/ and this http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/speedway/12927023.Miedzinski_eyes_May_10_return/

Edited by Chalkie

The main issue here is that anyone who looks at the website would get the impression that the meeting will cost £5 and that tickets can be purchased in advance. It was only mentioned by the guy on the mike last night at the meeting that on the day the turnstyle price would be as normal, so anyone who did not go last night or fans from Coventry or other clubs would not know that the turnstyle price is as per normal. This is a great deal but the conditions of £5 entry needs to be made clear. Now it may be that the management, as in the past, do reduce the turnstyle price but that was not mentioned anywhere. Communication with the fans needs to be improved.

http://www.swindonrobins.co/news.php?extend.2419

Trust me, people who were not at the meeting last night and / or who live farther afield are fully aware that its only a fiver admission as long as you buy your ticket in advance.

This thread here on the BSF makes that very clear for one.

The social media avenues of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn have also been used to make it very clear. I have posted on these three sites myself, as have others....

I have also made people in the Midlands aware privately , by text

Today is Friday 1st May.....The meeting for which the £5 offer is valid is Swindon V. Coventry on Tuesday May 26th , more than enough time for people to acquire the £5 tickets.

Where there is a will to acquire the £5 tickets, it will happen....There is obviously the online avenue, and people can even buy tickets for friends from the Midlands and simply post them in time for them to be received prior to the meeting if needs be...

Also, Swindon are away at Coventry on Friday May 8th, so the clubs management can take some tickets to Brandon then, giving Bees fans the opportunity to purchase the tickets in advance of the £5 ticket meeting at Swindon on Tuesday May 26th....

All seems simple enough to me, as it was when I bought my cheap ticket last night.....

It is simple. As long as you are already a speedway fan, a member of this forum or social network groups, or a mate of Jeffster.

I just think that maybe it would be a chance to bring some new fans in too, but they would not have access to any of those media.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

It is simple. Ad long as you are already a speedway fan, a member of this forum or social network groups, or a mate of Jeffster.

I just think that maybe it would be a chance to bring some new fans in too, but they would not have access to anyof those media.

It is continually mentioned that the majority of fans are old. I would take a bet that many of the older generation do not use twitter, facebook etc so they would be unaware of any social media campaign which is why I mentioned it on this forum to at least inform the older fan who may want to go to the meeting and is on this forum, not a large number I admit, but better than not saying anything. It would have been a lot better if who ever created the offer made it clear what the pricing situation will be on the website.

• Like 1

And it rules out people who migt decide to go on the day, which is normally my own remit.

Ok, maybe I'm saying this stuff because it makes me, personally, less enthusiastic about it. But if it does that with me, then maybe it does that with others too.

What they should do is have someone outside offering £5 tickets to people who are queuing, in case people don't have them. Then you won't get people turning up thinking they are getting in for a fiver and having to pay £17 instead, therefore going home feeling cheated.

Still a good deal though. I'm probably sounding far more negative about it than I should do! Don't want people to think i'm a whinger, because well done to Swindon for trying something!! We often do promotions for Sky matches and I think it's a good thing.

You do enjoy a whinge! Either decide to go before the day & pay a fiver or wait to see if you are in the mood & pay the full price, your choice.

You do enjoy a whinge! Either decide to go before the day & pay a fiver or wait to see if you are in the mood & pay the full price, your choice.

You've missed my point. I'm not referring to myself. I'm thinking of how this could have maximum effect.

I can, as you say, do that no problem. Thanks for your help.

Anyway, as you say, I'm probably coming across as a bit of a whinger here and that wasn't my intention. So I'll leave it at that.

Edited by grachan