British Speedway Forum
Falcon Hammer

2015 El Single Race Night Wednesday

It will only be in the Elite League if they did go with one set night but there could be a compromise with Sky by having half the fixtures on a Monday and half on a Wednesday which would allow tracks more chances of a guest if required while giving the riders like Woffinden, Janowski, Iversen etc the one night a week they want.

MONDAY; Wolverhampton V Coventry and Lakeside v Swindon

WEDNESDAY; Poole v Kings Lynn and Leicester v Belle Vue

following week

MONDAY; Belle Vue v Poole and Swindon v Leicester

WEDNESDAY; Kings Lynn v Wolverhampton and Coventry v Lakeside

It is really needed for British Speedway I feel but I remember a Leigh Adams interview talking about this many years ago and he basically said 'Unfortunately greyhounds dictate speedway'.

Out of those 8 only Wolverhampton and Swindon would have to ask stadium owners for a change of night. Poole & Kings Lynn already ride on Wednesday. Leicester & Belle Vue (soon) own their own stadiums. Don't see any problems with Lakeside & Coventry (at the moment) changing to Wednesdays (no clashes with stocks). We no longer have the luxury of trying to dictate to the wider speedway world

John Cook stated in SS a couple of weeks ago he preferred Thursday and Friday

John Cook stated in SS a couple of weeks ago he preferred Thursday and Friday

Rosco wants Monday and Tuesday, Matt wants Wednesday and thursday, and the rest er well, they can argue amongst themselves. Jeez, another fun AGM approaching then... :D

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Rosco wants Monday and Tuesday, Matt wants Wednesday and thursday, and the rest er well, they can argue amongst themselves. Jeez, another fun AGM approaching then... :D

Why on earth would Rosco want Mondays and Tuesdays?? He has enough issues getting the track ready for Monday meetings now with the greyhounds running in the afternoon!!?

And Tuesdays - To make riders make the choice between Sweden and UK?? Yeah right. I think you may have that a bit wrong mate!?

• Like 1

If thats the case thats me and the family finished with speedway. We travel to Leicester Lions on a sat so theres no problem with the kids staying up as no school the following day but wednesday......no chance and no doubt it will be the same for other young families. If the sports to have any future its got to attract kid and a mid week date is not really compatible with school the following day. Midweek also often clashes with other childrens passtimes like brownies cubs dancing etc. Speedway needs to think long and hard about its future supporters and not just what night the riders can fit in riding in the UK.

You have it exactly right. Speedway should go back to weekend racing especially on a Saturday night.. Then give riders a choice either do British Speedway or do Grand Prix. Always at Ipswich they wave a better gate on a Saturday than they do on a regular Thursday night meeting. Without the GP riders this would cut down the guests reams would need.

• Like 1

Why on earth would Rosco want Mondays and Tuesdays?? He has enough issues getting the track ready for Monday meetings now with the greyhounds running in the afternoon!!?

And Tuesdays - To make riders make the choice between Sweden and UK?? Yeah right. I think you may have that a bit wrong mate!?

My post is all tongue in cheek mate.

• Like 1

Guest wolfhound

I would actually like to see the Elite League run on Wednesdays AND Thursdays with the same teams involved on both nights!

This would add 'spice' to the second fixture particularly if there was a little niggle or two in the first one and bonus points could even be brought back to add a little more intensity? Sky could also show both fixtures making speedway more available to those viewers who have not seen the sport before.

Should the weather play a part on either night then a postponement would obviously create an 'out of sync' situation but as we cannot control the weather the answer is to stage fixtures when the weather is warmer and drier for everyone concerned AND a reduction in fixtures would help with that too!

Finally, one contributor has mentioned that racing on a weekday would make it a little difficult for kids to attend with school the next day. That's a fair point but didn't the GP's have an even greater effect upon racedays (and still do!) but supporters still turn up although in lesser numbers.

Still, you cannot please everyone!

I think that Sky would have a great say in this. Supporters are well accustomed to their traditional race nights. Could be a painful transition.

easy answer - run on the night which is best for your club and your fans, sign the riders who can ride on that night, forget all about gp riders or other non British who can not commit.

• Like 4

easy answer - run on the night which is best for your club and your fans, sign the riders who can ride on that night, forget all about gp riders or other non British who can not commit.

Spot on!

yes we so need to go back to basics and start again - despite the attraction of foreign riders

and I am someone who thinks darcy ward is superb

I have just realised which way british speedway is going

forger the foreign riders lets go back to basics

If thats the case thats me and the family finished with speedway. We travel to Leicester Lions on a sat so theres no problem with the kids staying up as no school the following day but wednesday......no chance and no doubt it will be the same for other young families. If the sports to have any future its got to attract kid and a mid week date is not really compatible with school the following day. Midweek also often clashes with other childrens passtimes like brownies cubs dancing etc. Speedway needs to think long and hard about its future supporters and not just what night the riders can fit in riding in the UK.

Goodness me! What a cosseted lot children are these days.

When i was a youngster i used to go to speedway matches in the week (and didnt need parents to go with me) and yet miraculously i managed to get to school the next day. The other evenings i would put in an 8 hour shift down the coal mine and be at school on a couple of hours kip.

• Like 4

If its true - and I hope it is (although I heard it was the aim for 2016!!) - then presumably the 8 EL clubs have been involved in the decision!!? :t:

And who is to say that there will be 8 EL clubs in 2016?

Is this for real? Wednesday are they mad? Is this 100%.

I wouldn't believe anything till its confirmed.