British Speedway Forum
Falcon Hammer

2015 El Single Race Night Wednesday

And who is to say that there will be 8 EL clubs in 2016?

Well CVS is quoted (by SteveBrum I think - apologies if it was another poster) as saying at their fans forum that its been provisionally agreed to go for a 28-meeting fixture schedule, and that equates to 8 teams, home/away twice!!

Perhaps if Speedway was raced on week nights, it would mean less feral kids on street corners kicking empty beer cans around, and generally making nuisances of themselves until 10/11pm instead?

The biggest problem you are going to come up against is local authorities............because the majority do not own their own stadiums you have this issue with it clashing with other users..........some local authorities will only allow racing on certain nights...........and again you have the curfew issue...........personally I don't think it will work.............

Oh and as for Shale Searcher mentioning feral kids..........that is down to the parents having no control over what they do............thank goodness both mine (24 and 14 are level headed and well behaved)

RP

The biggest problem you are going to come up against is local authorities............because the majority do not own their own stadiums you have this issue with it clashing with other users..........some local authorities will only allow racing on certain nights...........and again you have the curfew issue...........personally I don't think it will work.............

Oh and as for Shale Searcher mentioning feral kids..........that is down to the parents having no control over what they do............thank goodness both mine (24 and 14 are level headed and well behaved)

RP

Maybe you should adopt young Darcy RP ... ;)

• Like 6

Well CVS is quoted (by SteveBrum I think - apologies if it was another poster) as saying at their fans forum that its been provisionally agreed to go for a 28-meeting fixture schedule, and that equates to 8 teams, home/away twice!!

If there are 28 matches in the season they will need to race more than once a week I think.28 matches would run from April to the middle of October,or middle of March to the end of September depending on when the season would start.This doesn't allow for World cup,rain-offs or play-offs.This once a week would really be pushing it.Could have extra matches on bank holidays I suppose.

If there are 28 matches in the season they will need to race more than once a week I think.28 matches would run from April to the middle of October,or middle of March to the end of September depending on when the season would start.This doesn't allow for World cup,rain-offs or play-offs.This once a week would really be pushing it.Could have extra matches on bank holidays I suppose.

Between March and end of September is 30 weeks. 2 week break for the World Cup that's your league matches done.

We can still have the home & away fixtures on the bank holiday weekends also so there's plenty of room for one a week racing

If thats the case thats me and the family finished with speedway. We travel to Leicester Lions on a sat so theres no problem with the kids staying up as no school the following day but wednesday......no chance and no doubt it will be the same for other young families. If the sports to have any future its got to attract kid and a mid week date is not really compatible with school the following day. Midweek also often clashes with other childrens passtimes like brownies cubs dancing etc. Speedway needs to think long and hard about its future supporters and not just what night the riders can fit in riding in the UK.

what about Fridays..no school after that and as for saturdays being a good reason for larger crowds this is just not the case as "adults have more to do on staurdays (and I speak as a Lions supporter who would have been able to watch more meetings this season if they had been held on Wed/Thurs/Fridays...plus why is it such a problem if it is a school day the next day, unless of course we are talking about real young kids and lets also not forget that Speedway is held during the summer when the kids are on hols....no school at all for 6 weeks. Conclusion. no easy answer but there is more than one!

Edited by 1 valve

Why does it need to be a set race night for the whole league? Just race once per week, if its Friday at home one week and Wednesday away next week, does it matter?

Definitely won't go to another Elite League match (42 yr fan) outside of Monday / Wednesday. Just soul destroying to support a Friday night track with doubling up and international commitments.

Between March and end of September is 30 weeks. 2 week break for the World Cup that's your league matches done.

We can still have the home & away fixtures on the bank holiday weekends also so there's plenty of room for one a week racing

Since when has league racing ever started at the beginning of March?As I stated in my post you would need to do bank holiday meetings as well.

Bank holiday racing is when you would get the biggest crowds, so every team should target those dates

Absolutely, but at King's Lynn we get Good Friday as a home fixture only. Every other Bank Holiday Monday at the Norfolk Arena is taken up by Stock Cars as they offer a better revenue stream for the stadium.

what about Fridays..no school after that and as for saturdays being a good reason for larger crowds this is just not the case as "adults have more to do on staurdays (and I speak as a Lions supporter who would have been able to watch more meetings this season if they had been held on Wed/Thurs/Fridays...plus why is it such a problem if it is a school day the next day, unless of course we are talking about real young kids and lets also not forget that Speedway is held during the summer when the kids are on hols....no school at all for 6 weeks. Conclusion. no easy answer but there is more than one!

Unfortunately we travel about 40 mins to the meeting. As often happens due to accidents / being too sunny / grading meetings dont finish till 9-45 and its often near 1030 when we get home. Then for kids to get up at 7 the next day for school its too much. Ok if you like local but otherwise forget it. Nice to know theres 6 weeks when we could go, unless we go on holiday of course. As i said before not family friendly if in the week Fri would be fine but mon tue wed thu and sun no go for us. At least sunday meetings at Leicester are usually a 6pm start for families

BRITISH LEAGUE SPEEDWAY bosses have announced a radical new idea which they say will put the British League back in its rightful place as the number one league in 2015.

“We’ve introduced a number of innovations in recent years which have enhanced the league racing here” a spokesman said today, “such as double point tactical rides, and allowing riders to compete in all three leagues — Elite, Premier and National — which have been very successful.”

“But we can’t rest on our laurels” he said.

“We are always looking for ways to make the sport more exciting, especially the league matches, and we think we have come up with the ultimate tactical idea.”

“For 2015 we will introduce a new tactical rule in which any team 10 or more points behind after nine heats, will be able to exchange one rider with the opposition team.”

“As an example, in the recent Kings Lynn v Lakeside match, Lakeside trailed by 14 points after heat nine, thanks in part to Nicklas Porsing who was in brilliant form for Kings Lynn with 9 paid 11 from four rides. Under the new rule Lakeside could exchange one of their lowest scoring riders for Porsing for the final six heats. This will have the effect of changing the strengths of the two teams and could completely change the outcome of the match.

“People in Britain love their team racing, and with this rule there is every chance most, if not all, matches will go down to the wire.

“We are very excited about this new innovation and we envisage crowds will come flocking back to the sport with the prospect of a last heat decider in every match.”

is this for real....? :o:blink:

BRITISH LEAGUE SPEEDWAY bosses have announced a radical new idea which they say will put the British League back in its rightful place as the number one league in 2015.

Weve introduced a number of innovations in recent years which have enhanced the league racing here a spokesman said today, such as double point tactical rides, and allowing riders to compete in all three leagues Elite, Premier and National which have been very successful.

But we cant rest on our laurels he said.

We are always looking for ways to make the sport more exciting, especially the league matches, and we think we have come up with the ultimate tactical idea.

For 2015 we will introduce a new tactical rule in which any team 10 or more points behind after nine heats, will be able to exchange one rider with the opposition team.

As an example, in the recent Kings Lynn v Lakeside match, Lakeside trailed by 14 points after heat nine, thanks in part to Nicklas Porsing who was in brilliant form for Kings Lynn with 9 paid 11 from four rides. Under the new rule Lakeside could exchange one of their lowest scoring riders for Porsing for the final six heats. This will have the effect of changing the strengths of the two teams and could completely change the outcome of the match.

People in Britain love their team racing, and with this rule there is every chance most, if not all, matches will go down to the wire.

We are very excited about this new innovation and we envisage crowds will come flocking back to the sport with the prospect of a last heat decider in every match.

is this for real....? :o:blink:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Love it. Deffo what the EL needs