British Speedway Forum
Rob Lee

Speedway Star - Can I Have My Money Back?

1980s - Dave Lanning's drivel, Russell Lanning's rubbish, Alison Lanning's simperings and a design scheme that looked like it owed much to a 5 year old who'd been given free run of the paint box.

You must have enjoyed the latest Backtrack then... :D

used to buy it ,

what's put me right off is the biased views, southern tracks mainly poole seems to get a lot of publicity especially when it comes to rule making/changing

and there's always a 2 page spread interview with matt ford just around the corner...

You must have enjoyed the latest Backtrack then... :D

Actually I did, principally because it was mainly about an episode I am interested in.

I also enjoyed his book 'Cinderfellas'.

it's the 'harum scarum lightening frightening dave the rave' style of writing I couldn't abide.

And he was a pretty good promoter (even if some of his stunts were not to my taste)

Love my weekly read of the Speedway Star, at least you know what your reading is fact, not something made up on tinternet by a bored nutter.

My main gripe is that I am running out of space to store them. Love reading the paper version cos you can eat a sandwich whilst reading it (can't with the online version -get crumbs in me keyboard).

So Phil, whats the chances of subscribers being given the option of a CD with the full years editions on it? I would gladly pay for this

Also the ability to buy back years on CD. I would then have somewhere to store my shirts and shoes as my wardrobe is full of Speedway Stars!!

Look forward to your reply.

There used to be more "considered reporting" years ago. Not now though sadly. Probably that is my main grouse about 'Speedway Star' it needs to be more controversial - not for the sake of it.

I think that is spot on and agree with you, Humph and arnie about this issue

As you rightly say, it shouldn't be controversial or critical for the sake of it but simply ignoring or refusing to tackle issues within the sport damage Speedway Star's credibility and will put some off buying it.

Its not just a matter of investigative journalism, its also about giving critical opinion.

They used to do some pretty hard hitting stuff in the 1970's and 80's and I don't see why that can't be the case now.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Actually I did, principally because it was mainly about an episode I am interested in.

I also enjoyed his book 'Cinderfellas'.

it's the 'harum scarum lightening frightening dave the rave' style of writing I couldn't abide.

And he was a pretty good promoter (even if some of his stunts were not to my taste)

he used to wind Len silver up when he was running west ham, which from a Wimbledon fans point of view, was not a bad thing!

used to buy it ,

what's put me right off is the biased views, southern tracks mainly poole seems to get a lot of publicity especially when it comes to rule making/changing

and there's always a 2 page spread interview with matt ford just around the corner...

Rubbish, now you are making things up. The star has always gave writing space for every club. And every club gets its fair share.

Personally Phil, i think the Star needs to do something to capture the public interest again. It has been the same format for many years now, and when you think that it costs £17 to get into most EL tracks, £2.50, £3.00 for a programme something to eat car parking and Petrol /Deisal to the stadium something has to go.. So the star will be first. reguardless what some might say just to make themselves look good, the majority do not have the money to chuck around nowadays.

Yes Phil, there is a market for the Star still, definately, but it needs to be brought into the present. The Bumper copy is good, the Cardiff GP copy is ok, but im sure thast could be improved, but im talking about the normal weekly copy, it doesn't change.

Also i know your govened by costs, also, but i hope you don't have plans to put the general price of the star up next season?

Ive been a long time moaner of the speedway star but to suggest people buy a programme for a speedway star is madness. 4 or 5 pages of inane waffle and ones clubs news vs many pages of news form all clubs plus the odd interview. The Star beats every single programme hands down and only for a fraction more cost wise.

im not making things up , goin thru my old stars , we always had a end of season circus ie rule changing etc one rider over 8 fiasco, squads etc\

and a lot of time given to matt ford and his pr army to get his way

but suppose when you got pooles man as chief news writer thats what you get

Edited by heathen chemistry
  • Like 1

Firstly i have always brought the star and probably always will but it annoys me that it wont tackle a subject that is not a press release. There is things bubling under the radar all the time some good some bad and some that could change the sport forever but they never get in the star ,yes some maybe rumours but some are facts ,some are facts that are open for all to see but dont make the star,why??.

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

im not making things up , goin thru my old stars , we always had a end of season circus ie rule changing etc one rider over 8 fiasco, squads etc\

and a lot of time given to matt ford and his pr army to get his way

but suppose when you got pooles man as chief news writer thats what you get

You are making things up IMO

I don't think Speedway Star wants to be too upsetting to,promoters in the fear of being banned from being sold at tracks whereby I assume a good amount of sales are still raised...hence it tends to be reporting based rather than opinion based and I like to read opinions to be honest.

My old gripe with the Star was that it was always a bit too Southern biased and that certain riders were very close to them and got a lot of publicity and everything whereas riders who weren't in the Star's " clique" barely got a mention....that's a long time ago so no idea if it's still the same so I can't comment on that.

The Speedway Mail certainly didn't have the same quality about it but it certainly never had the same southern bias or clique of riders the Star had....having a northern based photographer in Ken Carpenter helped in that regard for sure.

Having said all that you have to congratulate the Star for still being here as virtually every magazine I've liked has folded alongside many others

Blimey !!

Didn't expect all this. As an occasional viewer and even more occasional poster (is that the right term?), I started this on impulse really, having shelled out my £2-odd or whatever for 5 minutes reading. Won't be buying it again, but I wonder if P Rising can tell us non-readers whether there is any hint in the next issue of the fact that Poole's track prep on Monday 6 Oct has caused huge controversey and debate among the regulars on this forum?

DOUBT it ... just because something has caused some debate amongst a few people on here doesn't necessarily mean that it is shared in the wider speedway world.

But, as I have said many, many times, I am no longer involved with the day-to-day compilation of Speedway Star. I don't keep a dog and bark myself, so to speak.

Subjects like the one you refer to are much more suited to debate on a forum like this when those participating can instantly bounce their thoughts to and from with others rather than via a weekly magazine that will most probably be out of date by the time it hits the shops.

Having spoken over the weekend to Kelvin Tatum, among others, who was at Poole, his view was that the damage to the track on the first and second (?) bends could have been rectified given the time that was available with Sky also showing the meeting from Swindon. However, he did add that some riders, and especially Rory Schlein, were adamant that they would not ride and that it was dangerous.

He voiced that view while sitting alongside KL promoter Buster Chapman who did not disagree.

KT felt that King's Lynn missed a trick with Poole being without Milik and with a far from fit Janowski but that it was the riders and certainly not the Poole promotion who held sway. With a very healthy crowd in attendance why would the Poole promotion want to postpone if the riders had been prepared to wait while repairs to the track were carried out.

A referee also said that once riders steadfastly refuse to ride there is really nothing they can do.