British Speedway Forum
Rob Lee

Speedway Star - Can I Have My Money Back?

Another week , another let's bash the Speedway Star thread .There is an old saying that goes " you don't know what you've got till it's gone "

It's gone for me, mainly because of the guy who posts on here, not missing it!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

I still enjoy the mag theres some good articles especially during the winter months, for me theres something about settling down with a read instead of staring at a pc screen, in an age where people are obsessed to an extent with technology (look how many people walk about engrossed in mobile phones) print media is certainly starting to become a second choice. I will certainly renew my subscription.

you cheeky so and so! I am currently reading this on my phone

you cheeky so and so! I am currently reading this on my phone

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::t:

• Like 1

hmmm...what did i say about the ss is nowadays just a propaganda piece for matt ford

read the letters in this weeks , what a load of rubbishe

just one more reason for me not to buy it again

• Like 4

hmmm...what did i say about the ss is nowadays just a propaganda piece for matt ford

read the letters in this weeks , what a load of rubbishe

just one more reason for me not to buy it again

Then don't !!

Enjoying this week's issue - some great 3rd party pro-Poole and pro-Matt Ford stuff. A good read. :t:

• Like 2

A quick bit of criticism for the Star's cover designer... less is good. Sometimes the cover appears similar to a ram raid and looks too busy. too much going on at once. I feel it doesn't need as much headlines on the cover, as most people who buy it are speedway fans and don't buy it off the shelf (like a newspaper or mag) because they are persuaded by headlines.

I get speedway star every week and really enjoy it I remember getting it as a kid and reading it cover to cover just like I do now well.. that is after my son whos 7 has read it first!!! We would both be gutted if it ever finished up like so many other speedway magazines have ...a thing of the past!!

• Like 1

Not sure if its an age thing but i hate reading the star or for that matter any mag/book on a ipad or whatever gadget ,its just not the same as magazine

• Like 1

SS doesnt represent good value imo

i buy a mag called computer active it costs 1.99 it has 76 pages SS is 2.80 and has 48 pages.....

i buy a mag called computer active it costs 1.99 it has 76 pages SS is 2.80 and has 48 pages.....

The costs of your PC mag are probably kept down because, perhaps, more people buy it and therefore more profits are made. To raise its price may mean fewer people purchase it.

I know the Star is expensive but it is the only mag speedway folk has, so you either pay it or a professional sport (ah ah) could lose a genuine piece of its history.

Compared to match-day programmes, the Star is tops in every way. Bet you both prices are almost similar these days, though I can't imagine a programme containing 48 pages.

Edited by moxey63

CHEESE does not represent good value imo

I buy a something different called CHALK its cheap and it is bloody awful on toast, CHEESE costs more and tastes damn good.

• Like 2

Brian Burford's features are by far the best for me,always something that little bit diferrent

Is that you, Brian?

• Like 2

Agree with tigerowl, as I also buy the mag for keeping. In fact, I never hardly read it, but know it's part of research matter, when I need it. In fact, was disappointed the winter editions only included averages and not match-by-match scorers.

My favourite parts of the Star, I suppose, are the bits and pieces, the pages that bring the unusual snippets. Results and scores are important, for future generations and historians (and stat nerds).

I hope the Star returns to providing all the scorers in the winter track reviews. Still not had the time to print out last years, which are online, but hopefully will get chance before they disappear.

And it has.

That's two of us happy then!

• Like 1

im far from a fan of the Star but the number of pages for your money is actually pretty good. It's not for me as most of it is rehashs of clubs press releases I can read online but if I didnt have the time/inclination to look around for them the star wouldn't be bad value at all.