Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beerspanner

Demolition Of Brandon Stadium

Sighed.

great idea mattk, but didnt Reading agree a similar deal when they let there stadium go and we all know how that finished up.

• Like 2

Could we merge this with the thread in SDG please :)

It's in the EL section now, I asked for it to be moved as it wasn't generating much interest in SGD. I agree it's pointless having 2 threads going about the same thing and is detrimental to the cause.

• Like 1

Isn't there a cross party group of speedway friendly MP's??

Time to give them a bell and get them down to fans' meetings alongside the sitting MP...

• Like 3

Your best bet is to cut a deal with the developers.

In exchange for backing the developers plan, the speedway receives a downpayment of 10% of the profits of the housebuilding, in order to build a new stadium elsewhere.

Say the plan is for 400 houses, with a profit of £100,00 per house. That is £40m, so 10% would be £4m towards a new stadium.

Didn't Horton have plans for some kind of motorsports complex in Peterborough? Transplant that to Coventry and get the council to provide the land.

You'd get a brand new, purpose built speedway stadium with the club as landlords - for free!

I woulden't say cost is the biggest issue to Coventry relocating as finding a suitable site without any nimbies within the immediate 45 miles trying to scupper it.

Isn't there a cross party group of speedway friendly MP's??

Time to give them a bell and get them down to fans' meetings alongside the sitting MP...

Yes Mark Pawsey and he is also the local MP. He has been interviewed by the Coventry Telegraph and will be at the meeting on Saturday.

• Like 2

maybe 10 or 20 yrs ago that was true but i'm not so sure now, it's all about money. green belts and brown belts are just something to stop a karate experts trousers falling down. now if you had a mp or someone on the local council living in the village, now thats a different matter altogether.

The current MP occasionally goes and his family at one time lived in Binley Woods while the SCB chairman and ex Bees rider is ward councillor. Can't get much better than that. Should allow houses along Rugby road and the car park side of speedway lane in return for keeping the rest. Not sure why there are no houses yet on Oakdale opposite. Nine houses going on site of disused nursery in Church Lawford (tho. perhaps encouragingly rumoured plan for forty was given the bums rush.) It's all a moot point though as speedway at the top level will be finished anyway unless they adopt a single night IMO.

Yes Mark Pawsey and he is also the local MP. He has been interviewed by the Coventry Telegraph and will be at the meeting on Saturday.

Also been contacted by Councillor Bally Singh who is coming on Saturday too. BBC Midlands Today doing a piece on our campaign too.

• Like 1

Make no mistake once the Stadium goes Speedway will never return to Coventry.

• Like 1

Make no mistake once the Stadium goes Speedway will never return to Coventry.

I wouldn't be entirely sure about that.

I wouldn't be entirely sure about that.

No, neither am I, but, if Leicester's experience is anything to go by, it might be missing for a good few years. As it is, I can't see anyone getting planning permission and building a new track in time for the Bees to move in straight after they leave Brandon.

I've now got quite a collection of emails telling people's Brandon stories and why they object to the stadium being redeveloped.

If anyone else would like to send me theirs then please do so, I will be using your stories and letters of objection to show everyone just how much the stadium means to so many people and why it should stay as a speedway venue.

The email address is savecoventrystadium@hotmail.com

All contributions are much appreciated!

Your best bet is to cut a deal with the developers.

In exchange for backing the developers plan, the speedway receives a downpayment of 10% of the profits of the housebuilding, in order to build a new stadium elsewhere.

Say the plan is for 400 houses, with a profit of £100,00 per house. That is £40m, so 10% would be £4m towards a new stadium.

Didn't Horton have plans for some kind of motorsports complex in Peterborough? Transplant that to Coventry and get the council to provide the land.

You'd get a brand new, purpose built speedway stadium with the club as landlords - for free!

Unfortunatley with the best will in the world and £4.000.000 theres nohwere that the Nimbies wont stop . why not build houses on the proposed new site for the speedway . and leave Brandon as it is

• Like 1