British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pinny

Aussie Speedway Season

A Final scores are 4,3,2,1.....so you get a point minimum as long as you have qualified

I only watched 4 heats and gave up,but good service,can't complain.Guess Phil didn't get a mention when they were greeting all the overseas guys including Rosco,Tony Steele and Andy P :P

• First time that I see a rider win a major speedway championship by scroing a point from a tape touching exclusion in the decisive final race. Stupid rules there in Oz. Why make this so complicated, just keep the regular 3,2,1,0 point score for the final, or at least, don't award a point for a non-finisher in that final. This is ridicoulus.

If it's a rule thats in place before the series starts, fine. Some rules are stupid. I thought the ref had bottled it.

At least we got to see some live pictures from Oz for once, even though most of the racing wasn't very exciting. The commentary team did o.k., until they lost it a little bit towards the end, but overall they were not too bad.

• Like 2

But it would not have been so controversial with a 3-2-1-0 scoring in the final. Would have been much easier to accept if Kurtz won it WITHOUT scoring a point for a tape exclusion.

What controversy?? You only had to see Kurtz's celebration after winning the 'B' final to know he'd already won it. It was only the commentators on the livestream that confused everyone. Whatever the scoring system in the final (4-3-2-1 or 3-2-1-0) it would have made no difference to the end result.

Well done Brady :t:

(PS.Maybe its just because he rides for Poole?! ha ha.) :cheers:

Before you start poking fun at the commentery you want to listen what we have to put up with on Sky sports cos they as just as bad if not worse and certainly alot louder so today was alot quieter and calmer

I DO listen to Sky and, of course, the SGPs. Fantastic commentary from KT and NP. Very highly rated within the TV industry. What's wrong with a bit of passion for races that last less than a minute?

• Like 4

What controversy?? You only had to see Kurtz's celebration after winning the 'B' final to know he'd already won it. It was only the commentators on the livestream that confused everyone. Whatever the scoring system in the final (4-3-2-1 or 3-2-1-0) it would have made no difference to the end result.

Well done Brady :t:

(PS.Maybe its just because he rides for Poole?! ha ha.) :cheers:

Well done to Brady, but IMO his 'celebration' after the 'B' Final was more to do with relief after getting a second chance from the re-run as he made a bit of a hash of the first start in the 'B' Final and in Heat 20.

Think I'm right in saying that going into the 'A' Final, Kurtz was 2 points up on Masters, so Masters could've taken it to a run-off for the Title at least and if (big if) Masters had won the 'A' Final he would've been Champion.

Tungate's 2 x tapes exclusions and falls during the Series and Sedgmen's misfortune in Round 2 did for their chances.

Very close Series amongst some well matched riders. Would like to see Jordan Stewart given a go in the UK, but doubt anyone would take him on an assessed 5.

Edited by macca56

Possibly the first of many Aussie titles for Brady - congratualtions to him.

Strange to award points when excluded but rules are rules!

Decent stream - more to come I think I picked up somewhere in the chat.....

I DO listen to Sky and, of course, the SGPs. Fantastic commentary from KT and NP. Very highly rated within the TV industry. What's wrong with a bit of passion for races that last less than a minute?

I didn't expect you to say anything other than that think your comment is a bit over the top still you do spend all summer with them stick together and all that!!

It was good to be able to see it, pity they didn't have more cameras and some commenters who knew what they were watching and how to add up. I only saw the second half of heats and the A and B finals but it all seemed a bit processional to me. Filling in the programme and juggling all the options must have been an anorak's dream.

Possibly the first of many Aussie titles for Brady - congratualtions to him.

Strange to award points when excluded but rules are rules!

Decent stream - more to come I think I picked up somewhere in the chat.....

Yeah daft that they awarded a point even though Brady was excluded, spoiled an exciting run off for the title :( Was good to watch the streaming this morning and have banter with the aussies in the chat :)

I didn't expect you to say anything other than that think your comment is a bit over the top still you do spend all summer with them stick together and all that!!

What a pathetic comment. You don't like them, tough. Some of us do.

Well done on NRGTV for the live stream but I've got to say that was the most boring Speedway Meeting I've ever seen and the commentators (one -BG?) being billed as Australia's best, did little to improve it despite telling us what a fantastic meeting it was!

• Like 1

NRGTV cover MX and Supercross in Australia and, as such it was their commentator's (Kevin Williams) first speedway coverage. 'BJ', Brendon Gledhill, has been long involved in speedway Down Under, was Mildura Motorcycle Club's Secretary and is now their Media Publicist and stadium announcer. I don't think it was a serious comment about being Australia's best...

It was never going to be super professional standard coverage and to compare it to the highly paid 'pros' at Sky TV is silly. I was just pleased to have the live stream and thankful to NRG for their efforts.

Edited by macca56
  • Like 5

As someone who had a mic thrust into my mitts before what I'm sure was my first meeting in my first ever trip Down Under and politely asked if I wouldn't mind doing the announcing, take it from me live trackside commentary isn't a piece of cake! Mind you after the first race in that meeting a track official came into the box and asked what happened to my race commentary because I was blissfully unaware of course that it was the norm for track announcers to give a running commentary on races. I dutifully said "Oops sorry pardon" for my failure to provide that to the crowd over the PA and had a good time from there! :) And in the bar afterwards! :)

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

As someone who had a mic thrust into my mitts before what I'm sure was my first meeting in my first ever trip Down Under and politely asked if I wouldn't mind doing the announcing, take it from me live trackside commentary isn't a piece of cake! Mind you after the first race in that meeting a track official came into the box and asked what happened to my race commentary because I was blissfully unaware of course that it was the norm for track announcers to give a running commentary on races. I dutifully said "Oops sorry pardon" for my failure to provide that to the crowd over the PA and had a good time from there! :) And in the bar afterwards! :)

As someone who has performed the role of trackside commentary in Australia for about 10 years, I would echo the sentiments of my "welsh buddy" Bryn in saying it is not an easy job and very different to what an announcer does in the UK. There are different cultures in the two countries in this area. It gets even harder when the number of riders in the race is increased to 10 or 12 in Aussie Long Track meetings and riders are NOT compelled to wear helmet colors. You also have to rely on track officials with walkie talkies to give you the correct information and at the right time which is NOT when the riders are a the tapes. Hard ro say whether tv commentary is easier or harder as they seem to need different skills.

With regard to Brendan Gledhill he is not only someone who puts his heart and soul into Mildura he is a very versatile official who can not only commentate but is a competent referee as well.I would not doubt he has the skills to be a clerk of the course or any other job at the track.

Edited by gbrussell
  • Like 1

Video of the 'A' Final from the 2016 Rob Woffinden Classic held at Pinjar Park at the weekend, featuring WA Champion Daniel Winchester, Josh Bates, Frank Smart and Cameron Heeps:

https://www.facebook.com/210176433026/videos/10153323069043027/

Connor Coles and Layne Cupitt also took part in the meeting. Heat 1 (Coles); Heat 3 (Heeps & Cupitt); Heat 4 (Bates):

https://www.facebook.com/Quit-Pinjar-Park-Motorcycle-Speedway-210176433026/videos?ref=page_internal

• Like 1