British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pinny

Aussie Speedway Season

It isn't Asian immigration that is the problem, for the most part Asians have assimilated quietly into Australia, bringing with them different cuisine, new festive and cultural occassions, a strong work ethic and a different approach to family that have all contributed to enhance Australian society.

I think the Asian immigrants make a great contribution to Australia, and in the main seem to be happy to integrate. I'd also agree with Pinny that some, although by no means all of the locals have a poor work ethic, although there does seem to be a better work-life balance in Australia than in the UK. However, I also think this causes problems in industries such as tourism which seems to be dying on its knees in Australia because it basically operates for the convenience of its staff rather than the customer.

However we have to be careful in the long term about the amount of foreign ownership we allow.

Foreign ownership is not a problem if you have reciprocal rights to trade and invest other countries, and I think some of the restrictive foreign ownership laws in Australia (e.g. owning property) do seriously hold back its economy. This said, relationships with China are always asymmetrical with seemingly everything favouring China, plus they're currently also responsible for a property bubble which is overheating the economy. Australia has become a pretty expensive place to live as a result, and wages are no longer commensurate with a high standard of living, particularly when you take into account the fairly high taxes.

Getting back to speedway though, I doubt anyone is able to make a living from the sport in Australia, and foreign riders are probably more likely to enhance the attractiveness of line-ups than deprive a local of earnings. The equation is therefore always going to be different to Australians riding in the UK.

I can understand why some Australians don't want to belong to the commonwealth u get no favours.try this scenario all Australian riders listed for the uk 2016 are told u can't take part what would happen to the Elite and premier leagues then? As for jobs im in dental If I was younger I could get a job no problem in oz

• Like 1

Thanks for the link and the results from the Qualifier on the Updates site Sue.

Hopefully there is nothing more to read into Taylor Poole's non-appearance other than possibly a dispute over points money.

Looking back at the Jason Crump Invitational from last weekend, I see that Kurri are showing Jason Crump as 'Retired' now from his 2nd Heat rather than 'Excluded' and that Karl Lawler took Tyson Nelson's place in the programme:

http://www.kurrikurrispeedway.org.au/jc2015.pdf

Edited by macca56

Does anyone know if the Aussie champs going to be streamed live online again this year? I think last year it was on that speedway gone wild website?

Round 1 result

Winner: Rohan Tungate
Second: Sam Masters
Third: Max Fricke
Fourth: Brady Kurtz

Texter: Lunchy

Updater: Sue

Line Up

1. Cooper Riordan........0,0,1,0,3 = 4
2. Sam Masters...........2,1,3,3,3 = 12
3. Mason Campton.........1,3,2,2,2 = 10
4. Max Fricke ...........3,3,2,3,2 = 13
5. Rohan Tungate.........3,3,2,3,3 = 14
6. Justin Sedgmen........2,3,2,X,3 = 10
7. Josh Pickering........0,0,1,2,0 = 3
8. Alan McDonald.........1,1,0,0,0 = 2
9. Jordan Stewart........1,1,1,2,1 = 6
10. Kieran Sproule.......X,0,0,0,2 = 2
11. Ty Proctor...........2,2,0,1,1 = 6
12. Josh Grajczonek......3,X,1,3,0 = 7
13. Nick Morris..........1,2,3,2,1 = 9
14. Jack Holder..........3,2,3,1,0 = 9
15. Brodie Waters........0,1,0,1,1 = 3
16. Brady Kurtz..........2,2,3,1,2 = 10

17. Matt Day
18. Josh McDonald

Well done Rohan.

Sounds like he was super quick and didnt just gate and go - passed some of the bigger names in a couple of his heats.

Was thinking that myself. Altho the 'top' riders are all quite equal ability so should make some cracking races.

Thought would be more appeal to the higher level Aussies with GP wild card up for grabs (although think most injured or recovering).

Was thinking that myself. Altho the 'top' riders are all quite equal ability so should make some cracking races.

Thought would be more appeal to the higher level Aussies with GP wild card up for grabs (although think most injured or recovering).

Thanks for the link and the results from the Qualifier on the Updates site Sue.

Hopefully there is nothing more to read into Taylor Poole's non-appearance other than possibly a dispute over points money.

So, it looks as if there was more to Taylor Poole's non-appearance in the Championship Qualifier, as it is now reported that he has quit the sport:

http://scunthorpescorpions.co/?p=4644

Has there ever been a weaker Aussie Champs field?

Has there ever been a weaker Aussie Champs field?

I'd put forward 1987 at Mildura:

1 Steve Regeling 14

2 Steve Baker 12

3 Glyn Taylor 10

4 Ashley Norton 10

5 Craig Hodgson 10

6 Mick Poole 9

7 Dave Jackson 9

8 Troy Butler 8

9 Tony Rose 8

10 Stephen Davies 7

11 David Cheshire 6

12 Mark Fiora 4

13 Bill Barrett 4

14 Chris Watson 4

15 Nigel Alderton 3

16 Nigel Tremelling 2

17 Paul Wheatland 0R

17 Simon Lock 0R

Steve Regeling averaged less than 5 for King's Lynn in 1986,Stephen Davies was a reserve in in the same team, while Fiora and Cheshire were National League heat leaders. Poole averaged less than 5 for King's Lynn in 1987 and Steve Baker had a similar average in 1985, his last British season. Hodgson was a second-string for Peterborough in 1987.

Glynn Taylor was near the end of his career, while Troy Butler had averaged 2.22 in his only British season to date (1985 at Oxford). He did go on to be a second string in the BL and somehow made it to the 1989 World Final.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

Doyle and Holder are already in the GPs. Batchelor is injured. What other 'top' Aussies are missing????

Doyle and Holder are already in the GPs. Batchelor is injured. What other 'top' Aussies are missing????

deleted Edited by waihekeaces1