11 David Cheshire 6

12 Mark Fiora 4

13 Bill Barrett 4

14 Chris Watson 4

15 Nigel Alderton 3

16 Nigel Tremelling 2

17 Paul Wheatland 0R

17 Simon Lock 0R

Steve Regeling averaged less than 5 for King's Lynn in 1986,Stephen Davies was a reserve in in the same team, while Fiora and Cheshire were National League heat leaders. Poole averaged less than 5 for King's Lynn in 1987 and Steve Baker had a similar average in 1985, his last British season. Hodgson was a second-string for Peterborough in 1987.

Glynn Taylor was near the end of his career, while Troy Butler had averaged 2.22 in his only British season to date (1985 at Oxford). He did go on to be a second string in the BL and somehow made it to the 1989 World Final.

Troy Butler made it to the 1989 World Final by doing the qualifiers and doing enough in each one to get through,same as the other finalists. He also won the Australian title and NLRC

Troy Butler made it to the 1989 World Final by doing the qualifiers and doing enough in each one to get through,same as the other finalists.

As I recall, he only qualified as reserve for the Intercontinental Final, but made it because Sam Ermolenko got injured in a longtrack meeting. He then only qualified as reserve for the World Final, but again got it in because Jan O. Pedersen crashed a go-kart or something.

He had a pretty good year in 1989 though.

• Like 1

Doyle and Holder are already in the GPs. Batchelor is injured. What other 'top' Aussies are missing????

none, but how many times will we hear pearson/rosco etc tell us about the aussie conveyor belt, its collapsing.

I'd put forward 1987 at Mildura:

1 Steve Regeling 14

2 Steve Baker 12

3 Glyn Taylor 10

4 Ashley Norton 10

5 Craig Hodgson 10

6 Mick Poole 9

7 Dave Jackson 9

8 Troy Butler 8

9 Tony Rose 8

10 Stephen Davies 7

11 David Cheshire 6

12 Mark Fiora 4

13 Bill Barrett 4

14 Chris Watson 4

15 Nigel Alderton 3

16 Nigel Tremelling 2

17 Paul Wheatland 0R

17 Simon Lock 0R

Steve Regeling averaged less than 5 for King's Lynn in 1986,Stephen Davies was a reserve in in the same team, while Fiora and Cheshire were National League heat leaders. Poole averaged less than 5 for King's Lynn in 1987 and Steve Baker had a similar average in 1985, his last British season. Hodgson was a second-string for Peterborough in 1987.

Glynn Taylor was near the end of his career, while Troy Butler had averaged 2.22 in his only British season to date (1985 at Oxford). He did go on to be a second string in the BL and somehow made it to the 1989 World Final.

Seems Andrew "Bill" Barrett was recently in Europe at an FIM training school for ice speedway riders!!!! Looking a bit above his fighting weight back in the 80s.Our finnish friend f-s-p did dig up a bit about him and found

that he won the Victorian state champs in Oz and split Phil Crumps reign of some 6 or so years

I guess Watt & North are the two who jump out as missing after Holder, Doyle & Batchelor. People criticise the British Final line up most years but this one looks as bad if not worse.

I seem to remember all of the 1987 line-up as riding in the UK apart from the 2 no.17s.Wonder if we can say the same about this years line up in a few years?

Don't forget some of those riders (eg Craig Hodgson) hadn't ridden in the UK at the time of the event.

I seem to remember all of the 1987 line-up as riding in the UK apart from the 2 no.17s.Wonder if we can say the same about this years line up in a few years?

You're a better man than me - I can't remember Tony Rose and I had to look up Nigel Tremelling - i think it is fair to say he didn't have much of an impact in the UK

Nigel Tremelling

Born:

Australia

British Clubs:

Poole (1987)

Year..Clubs..Meetings..Rides..Points..Bonus..Average..Maxima

1987..Poole..1..1..0..0..0.00

• Like 1

Tony Rose was the one I was doubtful about,but thought I had heard f him before,so he must have come over at one time.Tremelling is a name you don't forget ;)

Then again I might have been confused with this Tony Rose????

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folk-Article-Tony-Rose-speedway/dp/B012D720ZK

Edited by iris123

Arnie, I suggest Troy Butler was a rather better rider than you suggest.

1986 Australian Champion; 1988 NLRC Winner; World Finalist; World U-21 Finalist; twice British League champion (with Oxford in 1985 and 1989); a successful ride in the last-heat-decider of the 1985 KO Cup, defeating Jeremy Doncaster, to help the Cheetahs to the silverware; 23 points in the semi-final in the 1989 World Paris semi-final; reached the Inter-Continental Final in 1990, a year after being on parade at Munich; regular Australian international.

All the best

Rob

What a poor field that is!!

Certainly exposes the lack of depth without DW43. Someone has to really step up now. Still will be hard fought series with the riders in that group.

Don't forget some of those riders (eg Craig Hodgson) hadn't ridden in the UK at the time of the event.

You're a better man than me - I can't remember Tony Rose and I had to look up Nigel Tremelling - i think it is fair to say he didn't have much of an impact in the UK

Nigel Tremelling

Born:

Australia

British Clubs:

Poole (1987)

Cunning plan by Matt Ford to get his average down for next season. :lol::lol:

Nigel Tremelling

Born:

Australia

British Clubs:

Poole (1987)

A badly broken leg didn't help Nigel Tremelling's career!!

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but I believe that the Speedway GP site is showing incorrect scores for the 'A' Finalists from Round 1 of the Australian Solo Championships at Kurri, as in the past the 'A' Final has scored 4, 3, 2, 1 points and not 3, 2, 1, 0 points.

http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/4657/tungate-triumphs-at-kurri-kurri

This seems to be confirmed by both the Kurri score sheet and the MA website:

http://www.kurrikurrispeedway.org.au/Results%202016%20Australian%20Speedway%20Solo%20Championship%201.pdf

http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=12&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=15558&tx_ttnews[backPid]=6&cHash=2514c21aeb

Photo images from the Qualifying Event and Round 1 can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1558352467535208&type=3&l=102eed817c

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1558871467483308&id=162382413798894

Edited by macca56

Seems Andrew "Bill" Barrett was recently in Europe at an FIM training school for ice speedway riders!!!! Looking a bit above his fighting weight back in the 80s.Our finnish friend f-s-p did dig up a bit about him and found

my memory of bill barret is the worst visting rider i ever saw at hyde rd. Only saw him once, in 1982 (he was riding reserve for cradley), where he finished stone cold last in both races, but left a lasting impression on me. think that meeting is on youtube actually.

Arnie, I suggest Troy Butler was a rather better rider than you suggest.

1986 Australian Champion; 1988 NLRC Winner; World Finalist; World U-21 Finalist; twice British League champion (with Oxford in 1985 and 1989); a successful ride in the last-heat-decider of the 1985 KO Cup, defeating Jeremy Doncaster, to help the Cheetahs to the silverware; 23 points in the semi-final in the 1989 World Paris semi-final; reached the Inter-Continental Final in 1990, a year after being on parade at Munich; regular Australian international.

All the best

Rob

but in 1987 he was still pretty rubbish - or certainly 86 he was still rubbish, possibly 87 was a bit of a "breakthrough year." i only saw him in his earlier days, where he was certainly pretty "wild"

As I recall, he only qualified as reserve for the Intercontinental Final, but made it because Sam Ermolenko got injured in a longtrack meeting. He then only qualified as reserve for the World Final, but again got it in because Jan O. Pedersen crashed a go-kart or something.

He had a pretty good year in 1989 though.

could be wrong, but i thoguht jan o's go kart accident was 90, and he missed u89 due to some other injury