British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry 2015

I personally don't think the Coventry team needs much surgery I personally think the class of 2014 were very good, but get rid of Hans bloody Anderssen.

• Like 3

No Hansen and would think twice over Andersen as he let us down towards the end, although if he wasn't getting paid I can understand his scores!

I personally don't think the Coventry team needs much surgery I personally think the class of 2014 were very good, but get rid of Hans bloody Anderssen.

It has definitely worked this season with having a no1 to take the pressure off Bomber - problem is, Andersen hasn't ridden like a no1!!!!

• Like 5

It has definitely worked this season with having a no1 to take the pressure off Bomber - problem is, Andersen hasn't ridden like a no1!!!!

think that is the key for Coventry, build a team that has Harris as second heat leader. Always seems to do better in that role than in Number 1 role

The issue is that only Ward and Iversen have "ridden like a number 1" because these days, almost every heat the number 1 is in, is a heat 15. People still think the number 1's these days should have 11 point averages because Ole Olsen did. But Ole rode against the number 1 twice and a load of second strings a reserves. These days the number 1s ride against heatleaders in every race, they ride against the number 1 3 times.

Hans actually did a reasonable enough job over a full season. Sadly he went AWOL when he was needed most. You're right about it working for Bomber though. If we don't have Hans we need another top rider - I just don't see who unless AJ is an option. So for that reason maybe sticking with Hans is not a bad idea.

Its in this weeks Speedway Star. AJ was close to signing for Lakeside in August but too many clashes.

AJ said Lakeside is one of 2 clubs he would consider (i assume Cov is the other).

But Lakeside appear favourites if he does sign.

he did mention Lakeside and Coventry were the only two teams he would consider

The issue is that only Ward and Iversen have "ridden like a number 1" because these days, almost every heat the number 1 is in, is a heat 15. People still think the number 1's these days should have 11 point averages because Ole Olsen did. But Ole rode against the number 1 twice and a load of second strings a reserves. These days the number 1s ride against heatleaders in every race, they ride against the number 1 3 times.

Hans actually did a reasonable enough job over a full season. Sadly he went AWOL when he was needed most. You're right about it working for Bomber though. If we don't have Hans we need another top rider - I just don't see who unless AJ is an option. So for that reason maybe sticking with Hans is not a bad idea.

trouble is Bomber goes missing at the start of every season until about July.I think if we do get through the next two seasons mixing what we have we will need major surgery after that if we keep going
  • Like 1

he did mention Lakeside and Coventry were the only two teams he would consider

trouble is Bomber goes missing at the start of every season until about July.I think if we do get through the next two seasons mixing what we have we will need major surgery after that if we keep going

Does it matter is Bomber i missing until May/June or even July? Plod through the season, come good in Sept/Oct. Thats all you need.

But wouldn't it be even better if we didn't have to wait until the middle of the season before he gets going? Now he's in good form why doesn't he just wrap those bikes in cotton wool and put them away until 2015? I can never understand why riders have to start afresh each year with different equipment, or perhaps they don't and it's just the rider himself who takes a couple of months to get back into the swing of things?

• Like 3

I have loved the 2014 team so would like to keep as many of them as possible.

It's hard to name exactly which team I would like as what will happen with FTD & points limit unknown as well as the talk about Aussie riders not possibly not being able to D/UP.

Personally:

The first 2 riders I would love to hear announced ASAP would be: Chris Harris & Kyle Howarth

Riders I would love to see in team next year:

Hans Andersen, Max Fricke, Jason Garrity, James Sarjeant, Simon Stead, Zengota, Kenneth Hansen.

Would also be happy with: Nicholls, Larsen, AJ, Summers.

Edited by mdmc82

Agree Harris, Howarth and the sarjeant should be nailed on.

Definitely no Hansen and Andersen is 50/50 for me it's all well and good saying get rid but who would replace him.

On reflection I would ditch Barker and go for Michelsen from Eastbourne.

Assuming Garrity is assessed at about 4.5 ish and fast track riders of pedigree have to move into the top 5.

And limit is top five 32

My boys would be

Sundstrom/Andersen

Garrity

Michelsen

Howarth

Harris

sarjeant

?

Deal Shamek away to get Kyle and eddie to get Garrity to attain priority.

Up the bees!

Edited by naffer
  • Like 1

When I said 'ride like a no1' I was was referring just to his average. There is a lot more to a no1 than that. Like experience of away tracks, bike set-ups, and mainly being able to handle the pressure meetings etc. I might be doing Hans some injustice here but he seemed to be more self-centred this year than when he rode for us before. I can't remember a race when he was looking round for his partner!

Too early to name a team for next year but from the class of 2014:

Andersen - on track he's done a steady job but tailed off at the key stage. Only he will know why but Ive seen how his bikes are presented and his attitude in the pits, been first class all season. His pairing with Harris has been a season highlight. Wouldn't be disappointed if he returned fired up.

Howarth - eveytime he rode he seemed to get better. Great first season in the main body just frastrating him not being available for so many meetings. If his doubling up club dosnt clash would definitely sign him up.

Barker - felt for the lad getting injured on his return. I don't see him as a heat leader next year so not sure where he would fit in.

Hansen - great rappor with the fans but his season flattered to decive. Seems a bit of a one trick pony (the wide line) that will limit his scoring unless he learns different lines. I'd like him back for his attitude and desire but a lot will depend on the points limit and if it's worth a gamble.

Harris - no brainier, first name on the team sheet. Has been brilliant in the last few months producing some classic bombing that's worth the admission fee alone. Agree with earlier comments he needs a No.1 to take the pressure off and Hans did that this year.

Garrity - unless some crazy rule change or average adjustment is implemented I'd have him back in a flash. Great guy, enthusiastic on and off the track, just what you need to create a team spirit. Missing the end of 2013 due to injury so to come back this year and whoop most DTRs and many others in the main body has been impressive. Love his all action style too.

Sarjeant - boy this lad has got better with each meeting. Must be the best second tier DTR in the league. Love to see him back in a DTR system again, if not he needs a good year in the Premier and come back in 2016.

Of the others:

Summers - reliable and loves the club. Not sure where he'd fit in next year unless the reserve slots come available again.

Fricke - great guest performances and definitely one for the future. Would like to see him in the team next year but it could be risky if he's in a heat leader role so needs to be at 2 or 4.

Fisher - the forgotten Man. Tough season for the veteran with personal issues and injury. Sadly not sure where he would fit in next year.

Must add that GH has grown on me this year. I'm happy with him being back next year.

Can see a very British line up for next season probably done on the cheap with this being the penultimate season for Coventry Bees. (Sad but probably true).

I'd say I'd be happy with this line up.

1. Danny King/Jason Doyle

2. Kyle Howarth

3. Grzegorz Zengota

4. Max Fricke

5. Chris Harris

6. James Sarjeant

7. Oliver Greenwood

This is assuming Garrity goes to Wolverhampton as expected. The rumours of AJ won't amount to anything but I'd be happy with him back if his average is reassessed.

The rumours of AJ won't amount to anything but I'd be happy with him back if his average is reassessed.

Why should his average be reassessed? He has an EL average and has done well to re-qualify for the 2015 SGPs so hardly on the downward slope!

Surely the existing heat leaders/second string averages need to be reviewed as, because of the change of race format, you now have second strings on inflated averages and heat leaders on reduced averages. Why would a team take a current second string, when they can look to bring one in who didn't ride this year on a lower average - allowing more points elsewhere too???

Edited by Steve0

Why should his average be reassessed? He has an EL average and has done well to re-qualify for the 2015 SGPs so hardly on the downward slope!

Because, as per the rules he can be re-assesed. Hes not raced here for over 3 seasons now. And as the top 2 riders in the league failed to get 9 last season it's unfair to expect AJ to come back on 9.66. Looking at his Swedish and Poland averages 8 seems much fairer.