British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAudi

Edinburgh 2015.

Do you guys think Cookie will be back? He looks a steal on 9.30 but I think Doyle showed what can be done this year if you focus on racing abroad. I know that wasn't his original plan.

Do you guys think Cookie will be back? He looks a steal on 9.30 but I think Doyle showed what can be done this year if you focus on racing abroad. I know that wasn't his original plan.

Cook isnt nearly as good as Doyle though, plus Doyley has ambition, he got himself out to Poland and Sweden and didnt just be the big fish in the small pond like Cook enjoys doing. Cook wont ever amount to anything other than a top PL rider.

• Like 1

Cook isnt nearly as good as Doyle though, plus Doyley has ambition, he got himself out to Poland and Sweden and didnt just be the big fish in the small pond like Cook enjoys doing. Cook wont ever amount to anything other than a top PL rider.

That's pathetic, the man has been the best rider in the pl for 3 years and you want to slag him off for it. Even if he doesn't achieve anything else i guess it'll be a lot more than you ever do. I for one hope he goes onto more going forward but it has been a pleasure watching him thus far.

That's pathetic, the man has been the best rider in the pl for 3 years and you want to slag him off for it. Even if he doesn't achieve anything else i guess it'll be a lot more than you ever do. I for one hope he goes onto more going forward but it has been a pleasure watching him thus far.

How will it be alot more than me, do you know me?

I dont see the post as pathetic or slagging off.

Its a harsh but possibly fair assessment. What it lacks is a real insight into what Cooks ambition really is.

Is his inability to land rides abroad despite his efforts or as a result of his lack of effort to secure any?

I dont know that - only Cook and those closer to him do.

However when you look at the Elbow/Belle Vue video and the reasons Cook states for taking up speedway (in the subtitles) it makes it easier to accept someones opinion that he lacks some ambition.

I hope thats not the case in reality as despite not being his biggest fan myself I would like to see him kick on internationally and not just settle for the easier life.

At the end of the day though its his life and his choice and if what he wants is PL with easier monier a solid income rather than risking breaking a budget to move up then he shouldnt be villified for it.

• Like 1

Well that is anybody’s guess.

Cookie’s progress whilst with Edinburgh has been tremendous to the point of phenomenal.

It’s been obvious, particularly recently during post match interviews and dinner dance speeches, that he has a great affinity to the club.

The amount of off track assistance he has given to his team mates throughout the seasons is often over looked but is another bond.

Bonds like these are often hard to break but obviously not impossible.

The adulation offered to Cookie from the Blue and Gold fans over the years has also developed exponentially. With recent views and speeches suggesting he is the best Edinburgh Monarchs rider in modern history. I for one would not disagree.

Fair play to Doyle he certainly had a good season. Would he have gone to Poland etc. if his hand hadn’t been forced by the visa issue, who knows?

Personally I think Cookie has the ability to cope with the racing in any of the continental countries and I hope he gets an opportunity to showcase his abilities soon.

• Like 1

Cooks class in the pl .... Can see him being another wilson/stoney

Wont make it in europe tho gotta be near 30??

Doyles already made it in europe and into the gp series.

• Like 1

How will it be alot more than me, do you know me?

i don't know that's why i said I guess, am I wrong? Why people choose to belittle his achievements I don't know, to be the best rider in the league 3 years in a row is a brilliant achievement. Is he world champion, no, but there can only be one of those a year and very few ever get that far. I am glad he got the trophies to go with the performance this season as Scotland1314 says the emotion in his voice after the Somerset match and at the dinner dance shows the passion the man has for racing and for Edinburgh Speedway.

Whatever happens: stay in the PL, go abroad, go full time EL or anything else I wish him all the luck ion the world and I hope he gets the opportunities.

As he discovered last year I think the biggest problem he has is his EL average. He got a shock when he found out that this average would be used as the basis of his starting average/grade abroad, not reduced or adjusted for the standard of rider in the EL. On this average the calibre of rider he is competing against for team spots is a different league. Doyle already had an average so had a distinct advantage.

I would strongly advise anyone starting out in british speedway to make sure they are aware of those rules before getting an EL team and perhaps trying to get a ride abroad first. This has worked well for Max Fricke who is sure to get a few team offers next season and is not nearly as good as cookie (yet).

• Like 3

Cookie was a late starter in speedway and has done very well, whether he wants to push on is the question. He doesn`t seem to shine at the really big events outside PL, eg World Cup and GP. I think it would be a good idea to forget PL next season and see if he can get some rides in Poland/Sweden/ Denmark/GB and at least give it a go, if it all goes pear shaped there will always be a PL place for him in 2016 i would imagine. The bloke has talent which will not flourish against lesser riders every week. He has found it tough in the EL this year with the new format, but how well has Doyley done going to a new team and being their number 1, he has shown what may happen if you are motivated enough.

From a Monarchs point of view if they could track Masters,Sedgy, Frick and Worrell there is a base for another very good team,with Cook two of them may have to go. I`m not sure you will able get lucky with another Worrell and Sedgy like this season. He`s British so I hope he can make the step up and give Woofy a hand.

Craig Cook is right up there with the best Monarchs of all time.His progress since coming to Armadale is nothing short of staggering, anyone who questions that is misguided. the Jason Doyle comparison is a bit off as well. Let's not forget Doyle went up full time to the elite league and struggled, came back to the PL had a great year, went up and has not looked back. Doyle s and Cookies careers are very different with the only common denominator being that their paths crossed at the top of the PL last season.

This whole lacks ambition garbage is laughable. The elite league product in this country is a joke. Ollie Allen made a great point about the farce that is the elite league in his interview in the grand final programme. Cook needs to ride aboard probably to take his game to the next level. But to say he lacks ambition etc, is all just utter tosh in my opinion. Bear in mind the guy was not brought join the sport and look where he is now.

Craig Cook is right up there with the best Monarchs of all time.His progress since coming to Armadale is nothing short of staggering, anyone who questions that is misguided. the Jason Doyle comparison is a bit off as well. Let's not forget Doyle went up full time to the elite league and struggled, came back to the PL had a great year, went up and has not looked back. Doyle s and Cookies careers are very different with the only common denominator being that their paths crossed at the top of the PL last season.

This whole lacks ambition garbage is laughable. The elite league product in this country is a joke. Ollie Allen made a great point about the farce that is the elite league in his interview in the grand final programme. Cook needs to ride aboard probably to take his game to the next level. But to say he lacks ambition etc, is all just utter tosh in my opinion. Bear in mind the guy was not brought join the sport and look where he is now.

You wont hear many of us from our end of the M8 belittling Cook's achievements , we've been on the wrong end of his scoring prowess often enough to realise how good he is . We had one like him in the late 70's and all of the 80's who carved out a decent career in the 2nd tier of British speedway .
  • Like 1

You wont hear many of us from our end of the M8 belittling Cook's achievements , we've been on the wrong end of his scoring prowess often enough to realise how good he is . We had one like him in the late 70's and all of the 80's who carved out a decent career in the 2nd tier of British speedway .

Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous Paul. Lacks ambition etc....there is no logical ladder to step up like there used to be, where Jason Lyons thrived etc. the system is flawed not cook.

According to the BSPA site Simon Stead is averaging 0.77+ more than the chosen one for 2014

Easy money for Craig in the PL I don't blame him easy money is easy money. Ultimately if you want to go to the next level you need to branch out foreign and get yourself noticed. Doyle did this with aplom already fixed up at Dackarna to replace Dudek

1 Hans Andersen 3 3 3 2 1 5 12

2 Linus Sundstroem 2 2 3 1 3 5 11

3 Janusz Kolodziej 3 3 1 3 1 5 11

4 Maciej Janowski 3 1 2 3 1 5 10

5 Thomas H. Jonasson 1 2 2 2 3 5 10

6 Peter Kildemand 0 3 0 3 3 5 9

7 Matej Zagar 2 f 1 3 3 5 9

8. Martin Smolinski 1 1 2 2 2 5 8

9 Jurica Pavlic 1 2 3 0 2 5 8

10 Troy Batchelor 2 3 0 2 t 5 7

11 Mikkel Michelsen 0 0 3 1 2 5 6

12 Josef Franc 2 1 1 0 2 5 6

13 Nicolas Covatti 3 0 2 0 0 5 5

14 Daniel King 1 2 1 1 0 5 5

15 Ricky Wells 0 1 0 1 0 5 2

16 Craig Cook 0 0 0 0 1 5 1

Emilali is dead right, must have been the track though!

Jason Doyle is a GP rider on merit, not in the same league.. EL averages will back me up on that!

Edited by KurtAngleOlympicChampion

Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous Paul. Lacks ambition etc....there is no logical ladder to step up like there used to be, where Jason Lyons thrived etc. the system is flawed not cook.

Thought Cook got signed for Polish Team at end of season so how is the system flawed?

Thought Cook got signed for Polish Team at end of season so how is the system flawed?

He was signed as cover for two meetings, he hasnt been signed by Gorzow on a contract. Even if he had, they sign massive squads, there wouldnt be a chance in hell Mr Ego would get anywhere near getting in there team.

• Like 1