British Speedway Forum
Double Up

Cradley Heathens

Pretty sure NL clubs pay their riders in full for away matches. There are no exchange rates like in the EL and PL.

Thanks for that. I thought there was still a limit.

Point made is still valid in that averaging team points at £30 seems high, and the promoter would have to pay both away and home points for his riders out of one home gate income. IMO that would be over £2000.

Cradley's best chance of a stadium in the Dudley area is to probably include a super mosque in the plans.

• Like 2

And how much do you think NL riders get paid?

Most would be on deals of under £20 point I reckon!

Now if all 7 riders in a NL team were on £30 per point then if the team scored 60 points at home one night that would be £30 X 60 = £1800!

I know the promotion have to pay the away riders points money as per the NL standard which is ?

Like I said before 300 adults paying £12 to watch NL speedway at Perry Bar = £3600 which would cover the rent plus a fair chunk of the rider costs!

I'd say their would be at least 150 OAP's paying lets say £9 to get in. This equates to £1350.

This is without including children!

These figures suggest that with decent sponsorship NL speedway Perry Bar could be viable!

The costs of staging a meeting don't stop with paying the stadium rent. The meeting and the riders have to be insured, the track has to be prepared (shale bought, plant hired, curator paid). Referee is charged as are administration fees from the sport. That's not to mention the entry fee to the league and the cash bond that has to be lodged with the BSPA. Oh and then there's the airfence. Conservatively 20k for a new one which would last 5 years, maybe. That on it's own depreciates at 4k a year, without repairs! It adds up, and a good deal quicker than you seem to think.

Edited by Double Up

The costs of staging a meeting don't stop with paying the stadium rent. The meeting and the riders have to be insured, the track has to be prepared (shale bought, plant hired, curator paid). Referee is charged as are administration fees from the sport. That's not to mention the entry fee to the league and the cash bond that has to be lodged with the BSPA. Oh and then there's the airfence. Conservatively 20k for a new one which would last 5 years, maybe. That on it's own depreciates at 4k a year, without repairs! It adds up, and a good deal quicker than you seem to think.

medical cover doesn't come cheap either!

Do the riders get mileage payments as well, Plymouth to Edinburgh is a long way and quite a cost.

Do the riders get mileage payments as well, Plymouth to Edinburgh is a long way and quite a cost.

Wouldn't have thought so. I know it was around during the Rider Control era, but that to simply to recompense riders who got moved around, some individuals having to cover greater distances for 'home' matches in particular. Starts are not paid anymore either, are they?

Wouldn't have thought so. I know it was around during the Rider Control era, but that to simply to recompense riders who got moved around, some individuals having to cover greater distances for 'home' matches in particular. Starts are not paid anymore either, are they?

I think there is milage allowance
  • Like 1

The last i heard it was 10p per mile but that was 10 years ago, probably 15p per mile now, so if a rider travels Manchester to Plymouth or Kent whats that a 400 mile round trip ?.

I think there is milage allowance

The last i heard it was 10p per mile but that was 10 years ago, probably 15p per mile now, so if a rider travels Manchester to Plymouth or Kent whats that a 400 mile round trip ?.

Thanks for that. I thought that allowance had gone years ago. So that's even more expense to come out of the gate receipts.

A 400 mile round trip would equal £60. Another £200 at least to be put aside, and that would just cover the home team. And I suppose the visiting team has to be factored in as well.

I don't live in the area these days but, moaning about what the dudley council have done or not done to sport in the last 25 years is your own fault. Stop voting for them.I don't what to sound nasty but thats a fact you can not over look.Maybe someone could start an Heathens party & stand at the next election?

What people need to do is when they come knocking on the door ask the question re the Club and the good it does and could do for the local area

From Cradleys site

CRADLEY bosses have confirmed they are in talks to try and keep the club on track at an alternative venue next season.

The nomadic club have spent the last five seasons racing at Wolverhampton – but Monmore is only available to Elite League Wolves next year.

Chairman Nigel Pearson said: “We are doing all we can to secure our immediate future although we do realise what a worrying time this has been for our supporters. We have our end of season presentation this Saturday, there will be 300 people at the Copthorne Hotel in Brierley Hill and we don’t want it to be the last supper.

“It’s fair to say we are working overtime to try and reach agreement with an alternative track to race our home meetings next season, but at the time of doing this interview there is nothing in place.

“That’s not to say things will change by the weekend, all we can tell our fans is we are doing our best but there are several obstacles to overcome. We are in a weak position, we have no home and we need to do something quickly.”

Rekindle your love and join virtual skid tomorrow at 7pm when for one night only the Heathens and the Bees return to track..... 15 race, 2 VTMs, 1 winner.... unknow result..

For one night only... Cradley Ride again....

Friends, fans and brethren please spread the word.

Our Virtual Skid project next airs tomorrow, Thursday 16 July and features the Heathens going wheel to wheel against the Coventry Bees from the 90’s. Please come and join us on Speedway Portals Youtube channel, like our FB Page Virtual Skid and Twitter @skidvirtual

Each Heat is sponsored (as are the team managers Garry Stead and Adam Roynon). The Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund will be the sponsorship recipients.

Additional donations are being taken. Don’t  forget the SRBF text line is now open for you to be able to donate £5 - its quick and easy and you will be supporting a great cause. 

Text SRBF to 70085 or SRBFNOINFO to 70085 if you do not want any marketing updates.

Here is the legal bit....

Text SRBF to 70085 to donate £5
Texts cost £5 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and  SMS. If you’d like to give £5 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text SRBFNOINFO to 70085. 

If you haven’t tried Virtual Skid yet, search Speedway Portal and follow the links to one of the five meetings that have already been screened.

• Like 1