British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2015

Very very rare that I agree with Uk on anything, but I think I would agree with him on this one.

A truly new era should mean new people coming in, bringing back Graham Drury is not the answer.

No not all of us - but some bitter individuals do.....................

Seconded, I know the Drury's were not universally liked, but as I'm aware things only kicked off big style while Alan Phillips was in attendance, I don't recall any massaive falling outs dragging the club down in the seasons that Mole was at the helm, hell even that season Patchett was running things was calmer than Phillips reign of terror.

• Like 2

Why do people have to be so vile all the live long day?. Best of luck to the Brummies

• Like 1

TBF to Drury, he's been involved in the sport since almost forever now. He's promoter/managed at a number of clubs at all levels of the sport and generally has a good (but not great) record of building and managing pretty decent teams. He's also been pretty successful on the promotion side so I'm not sure how this is a bad move.

Graham Drury is well known for being, shall we say, at times not the easiest person to get on with but what can't be denied is his extensive speedway experience on both sides of the fence and his administrative skills are 2nd to none!

The Brummies had the ultimate in inept, inexperienced management last season which caused the closure, so its a good move by Tony Mole to employ someone who has a proven record of success in speedway management, whether you like him or not!

The Louis' who run my local track Ipswich are far from being universally popular amongst the regulars but you can't deny Ipswich is one of the more stable better run clubs in the Country and they always pay their bills on time. They are in my opinion the best equipped persons to run Ipswich speedway so be careful what you wish for!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 4

...so I'm not sure how this is a bad move.

If you don't know, trust me, you are better off not knowing.

I've come to the conclusion that the less exposed anyone is to the behind the scenes personalities, egos and politics etc, the happier they will be. In future, I'm just going to try to enjoy 15 races of speedway and not let the rest of what goes on disturb me any more.

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that the less exposed anyone is to the behind the scenes personalities, egos and politics etc, the happier they will be. In future, I'm just going to try to enjoy 15 races of speedway and not let the rest of what goes on disturb me any more.

:) That's what I was told: "forget everything that's gone on in the past & enjoy the racing, as if it's your first meeting; otherwise you'll just end up getting annoyed every week"

Wise words, as the on track action is, IMO, as good as it ever has been

• Like 1

On the Drurys i was told by Jack Lee last year that when they jumped ship he had people thanking him for getting rid of them.He said it was nothing to do with him but people actually thanked him when they left.What he said about the closer was very interesting and would make a good book i know Jack from his time at Buxton and believe all he told me.Pity they did not have him back this year but wish him well at Sheffield.

Never read anything truer in my life!

To be a successful speedway promoter you won't be able to be friends with everyone all of the time and and decisions will be made that won't please everyone!

Graham Drury is the ultimate example - Not a particularly nice person at times, a bit abrupt but very good at speedway management!

I seem to remember one of the all time great promoters of the 70's and 80's being a bloke most people found socially awkward and not at all pleasant - the late great John Berry who took Ipswich Witches from the speedway graveyard in the late 60's to become one of the most successful speedway centres in the Country, a legacy that continues to the present!

Edited by 25yearfan

I seem to remember one of the all time great promoters of the 70's and 80's being a bloke most people found socially awkward and not at all pleasant - the late great John Berry who took Ipswich Witches from the speedway graveyard in the late 60's to become one of the most successful speedway centres in the Country, a legacy that continues to the present!

Thanks, but I fear that if we veer off in the direction of other promoters, it won't be long before this becomed a Matt Ford / Poole thread, and we don't want that do we? :rofl:

• Like 1

Why do people have to be so vile all the live long day?. Best of luck to the Brummies

That comment sums up "some of the wonder" :rolleyes: of Posts on the BSF.

For my part, I have had an interest in Birmingham since 1946 when they were in the Northern League - anyone remember guys like Phil 'Tiger'Hart, Stan Dell and Roy Dook?

Edited by Guest

I've said this for a long time. I try and distance myself from managers/promoters/riders on a personal level. I'm constantly told most of them are "nice guys" so I'm happy to ignorantly believe this :D

I'll say one thing Brummie Fans we at Oxford were very lucky to have 3rd tier teams all of them entertaining probably more so than the Senior teams. Support your team you don't need the best riders to have the best entertainment.

• Like 1

Adam Kirby joins Birmingham Brummies as the final team member for their revival

Think this will make the team a bit 'top heavy'