British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2015

And, if that's the case, how long will Graham Drury be able to continue to try to convince people that Birmingham are one of speedway's "BIG Clubs" without losing credibility?

"Big clubs" ??? let's see

NL fours champions

Adam finishes 2nd and one point of the lead last night, qualifying for the European U21 final…

Zack becomes 250 british grass track champ today ….

Tom wins the 350..

7 points clear at the top of the league with matches in hand ….

I think when you consider they went out of business a year ago, Graham seems to be pointing them in the right direction. The season isn't over and decisions don't need to be made yet but i'm sure they're looking at all avenues.

If you are going to use the quote button please do it so that it doesn't look like I said what I didn't.

New signing for the Brummies announced at 10pm...

BIRMINGHAM have signed former British Under-21 Champion Josh Bates on a temporary contract.

The Barnsley born rider steps in for Brummies' Captain Tom Perry who crashed out of last Wednesday's meeting against Mildenhall.

Surestop Brummies Team Manager Graham Drury explained: "Tom could be out for anything between two-to-four weeks and we've got some important meetings coming up.

"I could have used rider replacement for Tom, however I feel a lot more comfortable having made a short-term signing as it doesn't add any pressure on the rest of the team.

"Josh is a rider I've watched progress over the last few years and he fits the ethos of Birmingham Speedway perfectly; he's young, keen, enthusiastic and he's got a lot of potential too.

"I must emphasise that this is a temporary signing and no matter how well Josh does for us over the next few weeks, as soon as Tom feels he is fit and ready to ride, we will re-declare our team once again.

"I'd like to thank the management and promotions of both Sheffield and Wolverhampton for being so understanding with the situation we find ourselves in and they've been very helpful and co-operative.

"All relevant documentation has been sent off to the BSPA and the move will be officially finalised when they confirm their approval. I can't see there being any problems though and I fully expect to see Josh take his place at No.5 at King's Lynn on Wednesday."

Share This: facebook.png twitter.png

I thought his average would be too high? Good move by Birmingham as they now have 2nd & 3rd highest ranked tier 2 riders in the EL draft in their NL team

See Brum and Eastbourne are not letting the Grass grow under their feet when it comes to quickly finding replacements for injured riders, there USED to be another Team that held the mantle of winning at ALL costs, seems we have been overtaken not only in the League Table, but in the win at ALL cost stakes as well, however well done to The Brummies and Eastbourne, it makes a change watching which Team will come out on Top. :lol:

Any coincidence that both teams dropped 2 tiers to be here though GP?

See Brum and Eastbourne are not letting the Grass grow under their feet when it comes to quickly finding replacements for injured riders, there USED to be another Team that held the mantle of winning at ALL costs, seems we have been overtaken not only in the League Table, but in the win at ALL cost stakes as well, however well done to The Brummies and Eastbourne, it makes a change watching which Team will come out on Top. :lol:

So the grass doesn't grow under Birmingham or Eastbourne's feet. Should it? Should the Brummies (or the Sparrows) feel guilty about patching up their teams, especially where the injuries to their riders (Tom Perry in the case of the Brummies) was none of their doing? doubt any of this would have happened at Birmingham if Dan Halsey hadn't forced Tom Perry to press the ejector seat button last week. So instead of R/R (see my comments about R/R in the NL on another thread) a young British rider is being given a chance, if nothing else, than to show everyone what they are missing by not signing him permanently. I don't see what's wrong with that.

• Like 1

So the grass doesn't grow under Birmingham or Eastbourne's feet. Should it? Should the Brummies (or the Sparrows) feel guilty about patching up their teams, especially where the injuries to their riders (Tom Perry in the case of the Brummies) was none of their doing? doubt any of this would have happened at Birmingham if Dan Halsey hadn't forced Tom Perry to press the ejector seat button last week. So instead of R/R (see my comments about R/R in the NL on another thread) a young British rider is being given a chance, if nothing else, than to show everyone what they are missing by not signing him permanently. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Did i say there was anything wrong with it ? with regards R/R Brum were happy to use it with Zach at reserve :nono: oh and the mystery injury to Harvie when Brum rode at Kent :lol: again while Zach was at reserve, Drury has always been cute when it comes to the NL rule book. Josh Bates opted NOT to ride full time NL this year, Im sure there were Teams that would have been only to happy to have signed him.

The fact that Birmingham used R/R doesn't alter MY OPINION about its use in the NL. I agree that Graham Drury will be cute in the way he looks after Birmingham's interests and as I also said before he'll be sure that Harvie Banks is FULLY recovered from his injuries before bringing him back into the team, however long that may be. Isn't that what any team manager would do for their club?

Beggeration. Brilliant bit of work by Brum. I thought the wheels might have fallen off but now going from strength to strength.

As for the R/R and number 8's debate I could go crazy about it but at present the rules are there and teams are enjoying the best of them.

• Like 1

I thought riders were limited to two leagues this season, so Bates who already rides in EL & PL would not be eligible for NL, have I misunderstood something ??

I thought riders were limited to two leagues this season, so Bates who already rides in EL & PL would not be eligible for NL, have I misunderstood something ??

That thought crossed my mind, but obviously something has been agreed between all parties, as there were Drury's thanks to Sheffield and Wolves mentioned in the press release...maybe one or the other of these will be "resting" Bates for the time that the Brummies need him? Possibly? Maybe SCB will join in, to apply his knowledge of the ins and outs and sometimes the shake it all abouts of the rules governing the use of riders in multiple leagues.

I'd be surprised if GD has made an error, he's more savvy than most when it comes to the rulebook and how to play it to best advantage.

I used to respect gp's post but starting to sound bitter--about time the Brummies had some success after playing second fiddle to Cradley for years--you know what gp i don't care :party: