British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2015

Like you said Cradley have cherry picked to SOME EXTENT!

This indicates the points limit have done their jobs!

I think the new points limits have meant theirs more emphasis on bringing through 3 pointers and make it more difficult for the 3-7 point career 3rd Division riders to find team places

And for me seeing some of the virtually unknown 3 pointers progress with enthusiastic racing will be something worth watching!

Back to thread namely Birmingham Brummies, despite being a standalone track not long out of the EL with a rich owner and bigger crowds than most NL clubs the Brummies have signed a number of 3 pointer riders plus up and coming 5 pointer Sam Chapman!

Fair play Birmingham Brummies!

• Like 2

Like you said Cradley have cherry picked to SOME EXTENT!

This indicates the points limit have done their jobs!

I think the new points limits have meant theirs more emphasis on bringing through 3 pointers and make it more difficult for the 3-7 point career 3rd Division riders to find team places

And for me seeing some of the virtually unknown 3 pointers progress with enthusiastic racing will be something worth watching!

Back to thread namely Birmingham Brummies, despite being a standalone track not long out of the EL with a rich owner and bigger crowds than most NL clubs the Brummies have signed a number of 3 pointer riders plus up and coming 5 pointer Sam Chapman!

Fair play Birmingham Brummies!

The Brummies have done NO different to Cradley then?

So far, the league looks competitive, of a standard that will attract paying customers (because Dean is right, people simply won't pay to watch amateur meetings composed solely of novices) and is full of British youngsters.

You don't have to pay to watch amateur speedway - there's a meeting this Sunday at Scunthorpe, entrance free for spectators. You can watch up-and-coming British riders, including two from Birmingham.

The Brummies have done NO different to Cradley then?

I wasn't having a go at Cradley, just indicating that being such a big club they will be a huge draw for riders but the points limit has limited how this which makes the League more even.

Birmingham will also be one of the more attractive sides to join in the NL and they to will be limited.

As it is I still think Cradley are favourites looking at line ups!

Yes we know that Amateur speedway is free but if your running a team out of stadium where you pay a hefty rent eg, Cradley, Birmingham, Mildenhall then you have to charge an admission to cover costs and supporters won't pay these admission prices if the team is too weak!

Teams like Storm have 2 ideas: to find riders for the Bees and to be competitive enough to attract fans. If the first was the sole reason then I'd suggest that Farnaby and Ritchings wouldn't have signed as they aren't Coventry assets.

Of course they want to be competitive or it wouldn't pay. Had the limit been a bit higher then we would've had more bees assets in the side. The idea is to bring on younger or inexperienced Bees assets but it's difficult to get a 1-7 full of assets and the lower limit has made it harder for the Storm to achieve that.

I wasn't having a go at Cradley, just indicating that being such a big club they will be a huge draw for riders but the points limit has limited how this which makes the League more even.

Birmingham will also be one of the more attractive sides to join in the NL and they to will be limited.

As it is I still think Cradley are favourites looking at line ups!

Yes we know that Amateur speedway is free but if your running a team out of stadium where you pay a hefty rent eg, Cradley, Birmingham, Mildenhall then you have to charge an admission to cover costs and supporters won't pay these admission prices if the team is too weak!

Trouble is tho' the cream always attract the 'best' no matter what is done to the points limit or who the team is or what League! This is why the Heathens have always been the one's to blame for anything that happens in the NL, well since 2010. Makes a change now that there are a few others with the same ideas.

That is why Cradley, Poole, Wolves, Brummies, Edinburgh, etc. to name but a few will always attract some, if not all, the best.

Roll on March/April 2016 when the action begins at Perry Barr or is it Perry Wood???? Depends on your bobble hat colour I presume!

Edited by berniev123

Where's the assumption that Brum are a rich club come from?

• Like 1

A rich speedway club is one which gets decent crowds and has a rich owner!

Birmingham next season can only guarantee the rich owner part, cause recent history suggests crowds haven't been good enough at Perry Bar in higher Leagues, dodgy Phillips promotion or not!

We don't get decent crowds at Perry Barr - that's the major problem! and if Tony Mole was a rich owner we wouldn't be in the National League! - Birmingham is NOT a rich club! - Quite the opposite in fact and it's down to the fans to support the club in the 3rd tier or Speedway in Birmingham is history!

Edited by BeoBrummie
  • Like 1

There are different kinds of riches i guess, Brum in comparison to some other NL Teams are probably Rich in terms of Stadium facilities, Rich in terms of Rider potential, Rich in spectator potential, but very Poor when it comes down to these potential spectators actually coming through the gates at Perry Barr. The old saying use it or lose it, has never been more pertinent than 2015 for The Brummies PL racing was tried with a measure of success, EL racing ended in disaster, and now NL racing is being tried in what can only be described as a final throw of the Dice, Tony Mole has once again been the savior of Birmingham Speedway, but should this season be a failure, i think even he will decide enough is enough, he has signed up a very good NL Team for 2015 even without knowing the final rider, if they dont challenge for League and KO Cup honours i will be absolutely amazed, it remains to be seen if the Birmingham public will support NL racing, but it will be there loss if they dont.

We don't get decent crowds at Perry Barr - that's the major problem! and if Tony Mole was a rich owner we wouldn't be in the National League! - Birmingham is NOT a rich club! - Quite the opposite in fact and it's down to the fans to support the club in the 3rd tier or Speedway in Birmingham is history!

He is fairly well off but he wont want to throw money at it. I assume he will want to make it pay for itself.

We don't get decent crowds at Perry Barr - that's the major problem!

So hopefully there will soon be announcements about new initiatives to attract a new generation of fans to the sport. I fear that the same old recipe served up in smaller portions won't be the answer.

• Like 2

So hopefully there will soon be announcements about new initiatives to attract a new generation of fans to the sport. I fear that the same old recipe served up in smaller portions won't be the answer.

To be fair though Martin, yes Birmingham need to do it, but it also needs doing on a national level. Individual promoters can't be expected to be responsible for every marketing need. Take normal francise businesses like McDonalds for example.

Edited by Deano

I agree Deano. Marketing the sport NEEDS doing at all levels. At a national level where we are in the safe hands of Terry Russell t/a GoSpeed International and of course Keith Harris and Orville. So we are in safe hand there aren't we? And they really care about spreading the word about the National League don't they? Like, Buxton have really benefited from them in past years haven't they?

Also we need to increase our exposure on Social Media, which is why "the establishment" banning speedway videos from YouTube, and speedway photos from Flickr and Instagram etc etc just makes SO MUCH sense, doesn't it?

No, sorry to have to say this, but charity (or marketing as the case may be) is going to have to start at home. We can't rely on "the establishment" to look after us. We have to show that we are Birmingham Speedway, NOT Benefits Street. Birmingham has to sink or swim on its own merits. If we get a helping hand from national initiatives, then that'll be a nice Brucie Bonus, but don't hold your breath whilst waiting for it.

Edited by uk martin

How on earth can you promote with those constraints?

TM is only going to know the traditional methods.

• Like 1