British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2015

New Manager and Sponsor to be announced Wednesday 17th.

Adam Kirby joins Birmingham Brummies as the final team member for their revival

Hmm, somewhat surprising choice, I have seen Adam ride a number of times, and whilst he has had the odd good ride, my overiding impression of him is seeing him either have engine failures or falling, having checked out the team i didnt realise Brum were starting with 3 newcomers, so Adam should stay in the team proper through the season, he has had more or less 2 full seasons of regular NL racing now.

Edited by greyhoundp

... he has had more or less 2 full seasons of regular NL racing now.

Excellent. Knows his way around then.

Excellent. Knows his way around then.

Interesting signing. Adam has always had potential, but the question has always been whether he is willing to make the sacrifices and put the effort in away from the track to give him the best possible chance of succeeding. He had virtually a full season with Stoke last year, and he didn't improve.

For me, this Birmingham team is nothing special. Ellis and Perry are strong, but most teams with 2 heat leaders will find them being 9 point riders at the end of the year. Birmingham will need a tail that all improve for them to stand a chance, and I just don't see them improving as much as some of the other teams.

...I just don't see them improving as much as some of the other teams.

All that really matters is whether the crowds will improve. If they don't then don't hold your breath for 2016 irrespective of where the team finishes in the league or how many meetings are won or lost.

Now that the team is bedded in, and a manager is about to be announced, what we need to know is what initiatives are going to happen to fill the terraces with a new generation of supporters.

• Like 1

All that really matters is whether the crowds will improve. If they don't then don't hold your breath for 2016 irrespective of where the team finishes in the league or how many meetings are won or lost.

Now that the team is bedded in, and a manager is about to be announced, what we need to know is what initiatives are going to happen to fill the terraces with a new generation of supporters.

The crowds don't necessarily need to improve. If they stay at the same level, chances are you will make a profit. The NL is a hell of a lot cheaper than the EL, as evidenced by Stoke surviving on a crowd of around 150/200. It is, with all respect to the other leagues, the only one where speedway is sustainable on lower crowds, and far from being a pure training league, is becoming more and more a league where teams can go to bring young riders through, but also put themselves on a better financial footing.

if that's its sole purpose then it is wrong to have teams and expect fans of those teams to pay to watch , the same could be achieved by having amateur meetings and getting the riders to pay to ride . And the so called journey men are often the fans favourite riders in their teams and if thats what the paying public wants then that's what the paying public should get , speedway isn't there to train anybody its entertainment that is its sole purpose and when you lose sight of that goal we might aswell give up

Well said The Dean Machine.

The crowds don't necessarily need to improve. If they stay at the same level, chances are you will make a profit. The NL is a hell of a lot cheaper than the EL, as evidenced by Stoke surviving on a crowd of around 150/200. It is, with all respect to the other leagues, the only one where speedway is sustainable on lower crowds, and far from being a pure training league, is becoming more and more a league where teams can go to bring young riders through, but also put themselves on a better financial footing.

I don't think Birmingham's stadium rental will be any less in the NL than in the EL. the GRA won't care that we're in a lower league.

No, I think that standing still is not an option. Birmingham has a very old fan base and to be brutal about it, they aren't going to be able to come forever. The next generation fanbase is a MUST HAVE.

I think that in most fans heart of hearts, there is an ambition to get to a higher league and that can't be done with only 200 people coming through the gates. It'll also be embarrasing enough to be outnumbered by Cradley fans in our own back yard, so something has to be done about the situation.

Edited by uk martin
  • Like 1

BRUMMIES FANS GOBSMACKED AT RETURN OF GRAHAM DRURY

BIRMINGHAM Speedway are delighted to announce the return of Graham Drury to oversee team matters in the 2015 season.

Graham will be joined by wife Denise to work with track staff and other administrative tasks and the duo will take a lot of pressure off club owner Tony Mole.

Both are unpopular but well known to Brummies supporters having been at the club since the relaunch season of 2007 until their departure in April last year.

Now they are back as part of an exciting new era for the club in the National League.

Said Mole: “I’m very pleased to welcome Graham and Denise Drury back to Birmingham Speedway, I am now safe in the knowledge that everything will be done in a good and proper manner.

“The admin involved in speedway is time consuming, both in dealing with the BSPA and SCB and I like everything to be done correctly.

“Graham and Denise will take pressure away from me and they are working within a budget which I believe is sustainable if we achieve the crowd levels we need.”

Drury, meanwhile, is pleased to be back after putting his retirement on hold.

He said: “I’ve got to say only Tony Mole and Birmingham Speedway could have got me back into the sport. I have the highest regard for Tony and we still have a few friends at Birmingham who both Denise and I are looking forward to seeing once again.”

Drury has also confirmed Tom Perry has been installed as skipper of the Brummies following his move from rivals Cradley Heath.

Perry has five years of National League experience under his belt, four with Cradley, and has been released by the Heathens to join the Brummies on loan.

Thought I'd beat Brummies_Ste to it...

So we now have the same explosive boardroom personality / ego mix that we had that brought the club to its knees only a few years ago. I wish them all the luck in the world as they will be needing it. I wonder what safeguards Tony Mole has installed to stop the cats and dogs from tearing at each other's fur this time?

Or maybe this is the idea...???

Maybe this is the grand design to bring in a new fan base??? We have all the ingredients here of an intreaguing soap opera. One that could be televised maybe? If you can to a TV series about a factory that produces American Choppers, or one based on a company that reposesses unpaid-for cars, then why not a TV series based on the day to day running of a speedway team? It should fetch a high price to the right TV production team that fancies a challenge.

Oh, wait a minute, GoSpeed International won't allow that will they?

Thought I'd beat Brummies_Ste to it...

So we now have the same explosive boardroom personality / ego mix that we had that brought the club to its knees only a few years ago. I wish them all the luck in the world as they will be needing it. I wonder what safeguards Tony Mole has installed to stop the cats and dogs from tearing at each other's fur this time?

Or maybe this is the idea...???

Maybe this is the grand design to bring in a new fan base??? We have all the ingredients here of an intreaguing soap opera. One that could be televised maybe? If you can to a TV series about a factory that produces American Choppers, or one based on a company that reposesses unpaid-for cars, then why not a TV series based on the day to day running of a speedway team? It should fetch a high price to the right TV production team that fancies a challenge.

Oh, wait a minute, GoSpeed International won't allow that will they?

I really do despair :o I thought they'd both retired?What time does the vets open? :lol:

• Like 1

The Drury double act should have been put down long ago. I genuinely think this is the worst news since the fear of Brummies closing for good.

What a terrible shame, old Tony Mole really didn't put much thought into the future there did he.

• Like 1

I don't think Birmingham's stadium rental will be any less in the NL than in the EL. the GRA won't care that we're in a lower league.

No, I think that standing still is not an option. Birmingham has a very old fan base and to be brutal about it, they aren't going to be able to come forever. The next generation fanbase is a MUST HAVE.

I think that in most fans heart of hearts, there is an ambition to get to a higher league and that can't be done with only 200 people coming through the gates. It'll also be embarrasing enough to be outnumbered by Cradley fans in our own back yard, so something has to be done about the situation.

A; get used to being outnumbered

The Drury double act should have been put down long ago. I genuinely think this is the worst news since the fear of Brummies closing for good.

What a terrible shame, old Tony Mole really didn't put much thought into the future there did he.

B; do you all dislike the Drurys ?

...do you all dislike the Drurys ?

It's not a matter of likeing or disliking. It's the dispair, as bluejam mentioned, that you have had over the past several years, two halves of the boardroom "team" that were forever at odds with each other, and the fortunes of the team being dragged down accordingly. Individually the people are fine, but put them into a room together and the fireworks start. I was hoping that with a fresh start, the obvious mistakes could be avoided, but it now looks more like deja vue as each day passes.

Same recipe, but in smaller portions, anyone?