British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2015

Lots of personal questions aimed at me there. Having jumped up and down on your soap box seeking attention to yourself on the World Wide Web, how would you like me to reply? Not quiite sure how you prefer to have your personal conversations these days. Face to face on Saturday week? By phone? Private message? Or do you think that I need to explain where I go on my holidays and what other sports I follow, to you as my self appointed judge, in the court of public opinion?

As someone said earlier, Back to Birmingham :lol:

• Like 1

Can someone explaiin what the rules are governing who can step down from PL to NL and who can/can't double up/down? Just wondering whether Birmingham asset (IF he becomes one again) Rusty Harrison could lead the line as the "Next Jason Lyons"? After that, who knows? Will Paul Starke be available? He has a longer connection with Birmingham than any other team.

To double up from NL to PL, using current rules which of course may change at the AGM on the 9th Dec, you must have a PL average below 4.00 if you have a PL team at the start of the season. However if you don't have a PL place, you can ride NL but if you join a PL team mid season, you can only continue riding NL if your PL average is below 5.00. For any 'new' riders dropping down from the PL the conversion rate is double your PL average, though if that's lower than a previous NL/CL average then the higher of the 2 is used. Also all riders doubling-up have to be 25 or younger!

So, licking riders with Birmingham connections, Starke is ineligible if he gets a PL place (which I assume is almost certain). Mills is also ineligible if he gets a PL place, but if he doesn't he would be able to ride and, from memory, he'd go off his Bournemouth average from 2010 of about 9.96. Rusty's average is too high and I thought he was an Aussie anyway. You could have Simon Lambert, and Jake Anderson would be an interesting one. The Isle of Wight tried to sign him in April 2013 but because he'd ridden in the Aussie Champs that year he was classed as 'Aussie' for that year, but if he hadn't ridden in the Champs he would have signed for the Islanders and been classed as 'British' for that year at least!

Edited by Islander15

Be nice to see Phil Morris involved.

It certainly would. Given his range of contacts with the u21's, and man management skills, he would be my first choice for the Team Manager role.

Can someone explaiin what the rules are governing who can step down from PL to NL and who can/can't double up/down? Just wondering whether Birmingham asset (IF he becomes one again) Rusty Harrison could lead the line as the "Next Jason Lyons"?

Nice thought, but Rusty would be out of the equation on two, possibly three counts.

1. He's Australian. Rules concerning our colonial friends racing at NL level were considerably altered a few years ago. He probably does have British ancestry, but that's too far down the line to be considered.

2. His CMA is way too high. Any rider with a Green Sheet PL average of over 4.00 is automatically barred from riding in the National League next year.

3. It's widely rumoured that he's retiring anyway, and upping sticks with his family back to Oz. Shame really, if we had have got Premier League racing next year, Rusty would have been the first name on my team sheet.

Will Paul Starke be available? He has a longer connection with Birmingham than any other team.

No, and point 2 above addresses that. He's Somerset asset anyway, so I anticipate he will be racing for them next season. Again, it's a shame, because despite all the clubs' problems in 2014, Paul gained valuable experience riding in the Elite League, and built up an excellent rapport with the fans.

One rider who may fit the bill is Jake Anderson. Now I know he's Australian, but there was some angle on his ancestry (first or second generation, I think) which allowed us to sign him on a 3 point average back in 2010. His average for Plymouth in 2013 was 3.97 - just inside the criteria required to allow doubling up with a Premier League side. His nationality may be a problem though, and then there's the question of whether he could afford to be in this country living on NL payscales alone should a Premier League place not become available.

All in all, I'm looking forward to next year. A new start in a new (for us) League. It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out. The only downside for me is I'm on a night school course until mid May, it's on a Wednesday!!

Sorry about all the double up (!) info here, Islander15's post went on while I was composing mine!

Mills is also ineligible if he gets a PL place, but if he doesn't he would be able to ride and, from memory, he'd go off his Bournemouth average from 2010 of about 9.96.

You sure about Chris Mills? I've just looked at the BSPA website, and his final average for this season just gone was 3.74 - which would allow him to ride in the NL and double up with no problem. Pending a rule change, that is.

Edited by Leicester Hunter

Sorry about all the double up (!) info here, Islander15's post went on while I was composing mine!

You sure about Chris Mills? I've just looked at the BSPA website, and his final average for this season just gone was 3.74 - which would allow him to ride in the NL and double up with no problem. Pending a rule change, that is.

He's over 25 so wouldn't be able to double-up.

Birmingham Brummies owner Tony Mole says the traditional yellow with big red B race jacket will be in place for the relaunch of the club in March.

Birmingham will revert to their traditional race jacket for the relaunch of the club in March .

Club owner Tony Mole says the famous yellow with big red B will be in place again although the opportunity is still there for a sponsors logo to be included.

He says the club have to go back to basics after confirmation he will be making an application for the Brummies to join the National League.

During their time in the Elite League they have used the compulsory race suits but Mole remains a fan of traditional bibs.

The traditional race jacket will be back, yellow with the red B, and I am sure that will go down well with many of our supporters, he said.

But at the same time I am very well aware we have to move with the times and we are looking at different ideas for the new team.

The response has been fantastic and we are all looking forward to seeing speedway return to Perry Barr next March. I believe the Birmingham race jacket is one of the most iconic in speedway and Im pleased to confirm the team will be wearing them.

Its been a busy time since the announcement was made at the weekend about our return to the track and I want to thank everyone who has shown their support.

But the real test will be when the fortnightly meetings start and we have to make it pay. This club needs to stand on its own two feet as a viable business if we are to climb the ladder again in the future.

I believe we have a framework in place to make it happen and once the team manager has been confirmed we can crack on with building a team to challenge for the National League title.

Season tickets are expected to be made available before Christmas and Mole has spent this week looking at potential new appointments for key roles at the club including announcer, stadium presenter and administration staff.

It is believed Eurosport Swedish League commentator Dave Rowe is in line to return to Perry Barr as official announcer .

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/other-sport/relaunched-birmingham-brummies-plan-b-8139478

He's over 25 so wouldn't be able to double-up.

Ah, missed that bit. Thanks.

Nice thought, but Rusty would be out of the equation on two, possibly three counts.

1. He's Australian...etc...

Thanks.

Birmingham will revert to their traditional race jacket for the relaunch of the club in March ... Club owner Tony Mole says the famous yellow with big red B will be in place again although the opportunity is still there for a sponsors logo to be included.

Good news that the big red B is back. Hopefully this time without the red "Philips Circle" that surrounded it in the past couple of years.

Edited by uk martin

Thanks.

Good news that the big red B is back. Hopefully this time without the red "Philips Circle" that surrounded it in the past couple of years.

I think the less said about that regime the better, there is going to be a nasty taste in the mouth whenever they are mentioned, and unfortunately for some it will never be overcome, lets ALL put them where they belong (in the Dustbin) and move on, its going to need you guys to get behind Tony Mole and the Team in 2015, Im pretty sure some Cradley fans will come along to watch from time to time, especially when winning League points will do either of us a favour, hopefully we can both get to the Play Offs and have a great atmoshere at the Barr between the two sets of supporters. it might be an idea for Birmingham and Cradley to get together and have a joint season ticket in addition to there own Club Season Tickets.

• Like 1

I think the less said about that regime the better, there is going to be a nasty taste in the mouth whenever they are mentioned, and unfortunately for some it will never be overcome, lets ALL put them where they belong (in the Dustbin) and move on, its going to need you guys to get behind Tony Mole and the Team in 2015, Im pretty sure some Cradley fans will come along to watch from time to time, especially when winning League points will do either of us a favour, hopefully we can both get to the Play Offs and have a great atmoshere at the Barr between the two sets of supporters. it might be an idea for Birmingham and Cradley to get together and have a joint season ticket in addition to there own Club Season Tickets.

Agree about the joint Season Ticket but would it be easier to produce the respective valid Club Season Ticket and get a discount? Just an idea. Edited by berniev123
  • Like 1

Jake Anderson would be an interesting one. The Isle of Wight tried to sign him in April 2013 but because he'd ridden in the Aussie Champs that year he was classed as 'Aussie' for that year, but if he hadn't ridden in the Champs he would have signed for the Islanders and been classed as 'British' for that year at least!

Wasn't there a similar problem with Todd Kurtz ar Newport?

Yes, I think Kurtz rode in the Aussie Champs and that meant he didn't get a British reduction on his PL average which took Newport's team average over the limit.

Yes, I think Kurtz rode in the Aussie Champs and that meant he didn't get a British reduction on his PL average which took Newport's team average over the limit.

Having watched and supported Cradley during our wilderness years and cheering on the likes of Hamill, Hancock, Nahlin, Cross, Forsgren, Scudd, Phillips, Knott, Checketts, Boyd, Meridith, Walker, Handberg etc.. it'll be quite a season watching the two side by side!

Edited by Deano

I am really looking forward to next season :D , it doesn't bother me that we are starting in the lowest league possible from a position where we were Elite League runners up just the other season. I am just glad we have a club to support given the events of the past 6 months.

The Brummies in the National League is in my opinion a blessing in disguise. Look at the crowds we have been getting the past few seasons, our crowds last season before it went belly up were of NL level. The problem was during the previous winter the team built was clearly well below par, it was the first time in 7 years I was dreading the season and it was terrible from start to when it finished. So Its no wonder that we struggled to get a good EL crowd.

I would put our average crowd level at about 600, that maybe too high or low but for sure it wasn't in 1200-1500 bracket that you hear EL sides need. If we got that in the NL, would that be so bad? I actually think we can aim for crowds higher than that. The whole arrangement with Cradley sharing the stadium is fantastic, it means we wont race every week unlike past times in the PL and EL and of course the price maybe reduced to £11-£12. So people would only be paying £23-£24 a month Adult compared to say £45 minimum for 3 EL meetings a month last year. Thats a big difference!! We still have derby matches against Cradley and Cov Storm which should draw the crowds in as well. If its promoted in the local area just as good as when Bratley and McLaughlin were here then why cant we get 1000 people in. John Smith in the street who knows little about speedway wont be able tell the difference from Kildemand, Ward, Zagar to S Lambert, Luke Chessell, Tim Webster etc. Its 4 riders, 4 laps, no brakes and plenty of action whether its Elite or National League.

We may be in a different league but I really hope we have a competitive side to challenge for the title. Its CRUCIAL, as last year showed its hard to draw people in to a losing team written off before a wheel is turned and is destined for the Wooden Spoon. Lets hope that isnt the case this year, Im sure it wont.

So its a new start and Tony is right to say we have to start at the bottom. I don't know what his top is but for me its never the Elite League. I hope we never go back!. Its clear that we struggled to get the crowds right from the start and despite the many mistakes the last promotion made, the fact is we didn't support it enough to make it viable despite finishing runners up in 2013. We need as Tony has said, to be able to stand on our own two feet. NL is our best and only option currently available to us and I thank Tony Mole for giving fans their team back

UP THE BRUMMIES :t::drink:

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 3

The Brummies in the National League is in my opinion a blessing in disguise.

Let's not forget that the last time that the Brummies were in the (New) National League, we won it! :drink:

I would put our average crowd level at about 600, that maybe too high or low but for sure it wasn't in 1200-1500 bracket that you hear EL sides need. If we got that in the NL, would that be so bad?

It'll be a tad embarrassing when we are outnumbered 3-1 by Cradley fans :o

• Like 2