British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Who Is The Best Pl Number One Ever?

I remember Joe owen being a fantastic rider in the late 70s but lost touch for a while in the 80s.did he have a bad injury but make a comeback then get his injury which disabled him

As a Rye House fan in the late seventies the one team I used to dread coming to Rye was Newcasle. Always a well supported team with great riders. As top div 2 riders go it was difficult to see past Mini Mauuger Lou Sansom when he rolled up with Workington but the very best surely has to be Joe Owen. A class act in every respect, a great loss to Speedway when Joe had his accident but he remains a rider forever etched in my memory

• Like 4

Some undeniable names mentioned there,to add a few more notables?

Les Collins

Jan Staechmann

Michael Coles

Andy Galvin

Robert Nagy

Paul Thorp

Paul Bentley

Joe Owen all day.

From a Newcastle perspective worth mentioning David Bargh and Mark Thorpe. Thorpey's rise from inconsistent reserve to 10pt number 1 in 1991 was amazing and such a shame his career was curt short by injury. David Bargh remains one of my favourite riders and was brilliant to watch at his best. They were an awesome double act. Can still remember that incredible 48 hours when we won the Gold Cup with a last heat Thorpe/Bargh 5-1 and then did the same at Exeter the next night when Exeter was viewed as an almost impossible place to win at. Those were the days....

Les Collins at around the same period was my personal favourite visiting number 1.

• Like 5

Joe Owen all day.

From a Newcastle perspective worth mentioning David Bargh and Mark Thorpe. Thorpey's rise from inconsistent reserve to 10pt number 1 in 1991 was amazing and such a shame his career was curt short by injury. David Bargh remains one of my favourite riders and was brilliant to watch at his best. They were an awesome double act. Can still remember that incredible 48 hours when we won the Gold Cup with a last heat Thorpe/Bargh 5-1 and then did the same at Exeter the next night when Exeter was viewed as an almost impossible place to win at. Those were the days....

Les Collins at around the same period was my personal favourite visiting number 1.

Pity I can't 'like' this twice, Neil.

• Like 2

I used to think it was Jason Doyle, but now it's Grigory Laguta.

My top no1's would be

Gordon Kennett

Chris Louis

Andrew Silver

Paul Dugard

Les Collins

Jens Rasmussen

Andy Galvin

I would put Leigh Adams in this group but can't remember if he was our No1.

I am not going to knock Kevin Smart but he was probably our worst No1 but had an awful crash in 2nd meeting & was never the same rider.

I saw Stoney ride at Exeter prior to a GP weekend & was woeful looked like he wasn't trying but looked real impressive in the 2 fixtures I saw at Worky on the night Exeter won the title.

I started watching 2nd Division speedway when Poole went NL in 1985

My top no1's would be

Gordon Kennett

Chris Louis

Andrew Silver

Paul Dugard

Les Collins

Jens Rasmussen

Andy Galvin

I would put Leigh Adams in this group but can't remember if he was our No1.

I am not going to knock Kevin Smart but he was probably our worst No1 but had an awful crash in 2nd meeting & was never the same rider.

I saw Stoney ride at Exeter prior to a GP weekend & was woeful looked like he wasn't trying but looked real impressive in the 2 fixtures I saw at Worky on the night Exeter won the title.

I started watching 2nd Division speedway when Poole went NL in 1985

.it's no secret that stoney hated the county ground with a passion, he was once asked what could Exeter do to make you like going there? To which he replied 'bomb the place'

As the Premier League never started until 1995 where do all these riders keep coming from that people are posting on here

People are just looking back to the good old days of the National League and British League Division 2 as those are the equivalents of the Premier League these days. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually - it makes for interesting reading. :t:

• Like 4

If we are going back in time then these are the No1's I always feared coming to Middlesbrough/Teesside:

John Jackson (Crewe) almost unbeatable around Cleveland Park

Arthur Price (Boston)

Arthur Browning (Birmingham)

Lou Sansom (Workington)

Russ Dent (Sunderland) put that one in just for you Ian, I hope you and Bob are well and have a great 2015. Might even get up to Newcastle a bit more next season.

For me as a Panthers fan i would have to say Glenn Cunningham in 1998.

Cant ask for much more than that, think he also took the track record that year