British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
June01

1979 British League

Having trawled through all the Speedway Stars and compiled the fixtures I have two duplicates for the BL, but no missing fictures, so am assuming they were just incorrectly labelled. Can anyone tell me which of these was the ACTUAL British League result for that year please?

28.05.79..Cradley 55-23 Hull

28.07.79..Cradley 41-37 Hull

and

25.07.79..Poole 39-39 Swindon

03.10.79..Poole 37-29 Swindon

Edited by June01

Hi June

I've just looked through my 1980 Yearbook and found the following:

Cradley Heath 55 Hull 23 on 28th May 1979 was a challenge match.

Cradley Heath 41 Hull 37 on 28th July 1979 was a Gulf British League match.

Poole 39 Swindon 39 on 25th July 1979 was a Gulf British League match.

I've drawn a blank on the last result you mention from 3rd October 1979, so I can only assume that match was abandoned and not re run. It looks like it was the first leg of a two leg challenge, as Swindon beat the Pirates 49-29 in a challenge match at Blunsdon on Saturday 13th October 1979, the same night as the epic British League showdown between Coventry and Hull at Brandon.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Many thanks for that. They were the missing pieces I needed to tie up the season so I really appreciate your help. :)

• Like 1

That's OK June. I knew my old Yearbooks would come handy at some time or other. :D