British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

BSI would have stayed well clear of any on-the-day problems at Warsaw

When BSI operated Reading Speedway the structures they had in place seemed very professional. Much of what BSI had learnt from running speedway at the highest level they implemented at Reading. They were obviously good on the business side as there were many sponsors who all had titles and contracts.

But all was not right with operating speedway racing as their system could not cope with any serious on-the -day problems. As I saw it the BSI staff all had roles and responsibilities but it was extremely difficult to find the person with the authority to fix the problem.

On one occasion a guest was unable to find a race jacket so went to the start gate without one. The referee refused to start the race and gave Reading two minutes to find a race jacket or replace the rider. This problem could not be resolved until the BSI top man (at the time) J.P. became involved. Classic!

Paul Burbidge hasn't updated his personal twitter account since Thursday by the looks of it. Like Phillipe, he will be burning the midnight oil giving us the whys and wherefores of the farce in Warsaw ... or not as the case may be!

My understanding is that Speedway Star is published by Pinegen Ltd.

The Managing Editor of Speedway Star is Phil Rising and Paul Burbidge is a reporter for the magazine.

I also believe that Pinegen Ltd are publishers of the programmes for quite few GPs for BSI.

Personal, and journalistic, integrity will ensure that this apparent conflict of interest will have no effect whatsoever on the reporting of Speedway Star as regards the Polish Grand Prix.

And I am unanimous in that!

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3

My understanding is that Speedway Star is published by Pinegen Ltd.

The Managing Editor of Speedway Star is Phil Rising and Paul Burbidge is a reporter for the magazine.

I also believe that Pinegen Ltd are publishers of the programmes for quite few GPs for BSI.

Personal and, journalistic, integrity will ensure that this apparent conflict of interest will have no effect whatsoever on the reporting of Speedway Star as regards the Polish Grand Prix.

And I am unanimous in that!

Eeeerrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - not really. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

It only goes to show that the top riders in the world, are not cabable of controlling these hugely over powered bikes on tracks that are not as hard as rock and super smooth, with no bumps or ruts. a few managed it, but most of them just don't know how to ride any other way than throttle wide open from start to finish.

What would they have been like if they had beenriding the tracks the way they used to be in the 60's and 70's. Would they still be amoungst the worlds top riders or just a bunch of Joe average's. Makes you sit back and wonder.

It would be a great nights entertainment, to set up a track with loads of dirt and then stick these same GP riders on an old upright bike and see how they coped, with riding a speedway bike where you had to use your brains a little to win races the hard way.

• Like 1

Adam Shields posted this on facebook:

e liked to have seen the worlds best, continue to negotiate the conditions and adapt to them.. Admittedly, it looked rubbish and i would have been the first one in the van but, that was one of the reasons that i never took part in a qualifying round to even try to be part of the GP series.. However, on the other hand, i applaud the boys for sticking together and not being the puppets that they (GP riders) have been on more than one occasion.. Where better to make a statement about safety or that generally, they are in charge, than in front of the biggest crowd at a speedway meeting (i guess ???) since the 81 world final at Wembley, in the worlds biggest speedway country.. If it was a unanimous decision, I just wonder how the hell they got Bomber to agree ?
  • Like 2

Olsen has not produced that many good Tracks.......................................

As is a lot of the reaction on here.

I really do hope we find out the real details for the cancellation of this Event. I don't want to upset BW so I will say yes - it could have been Rider power - but - it could be other things as well.

I really hope that Speedway Star does an in depth investigation as to what went on. Search for the actual truth.

Well - I can always hope.........................................

This lot really are the pits. They should be got out of Speedway forthwith. It has never been the same since they came on board.

What ludicrous reaction are you talking about in particular?

I think it is fair to say that the signs are there already that the real details are being buried and politically/legally handled as well as the relevant people can.

Adam Shields posted this on facebook:

e liked to have seen the worlds best, continue to negotiate the conditions and adapt to them.. Admittedly, it looked rubbish and i would have been the first one in the van but, that was one of the reasons that i never took part in a qualifying round to even try to be part of the GP series.. However, on the other hand, i applaud the boys for sticking together and not being the puppets that they (GP riders) have been on more than one occasion.. Where better to make a statement about safety or that generally, they are in charge, than in front of the biggest crowd at a speedway meeting (i guess ???) since the 81 world final at Wembley, in the worlds biggest speedway country.. If it was a unanimous decision, I just wonder how the hell they got Bomber to agree ?

Read the first sentence and was about the say, "the cheek of it, he'd be the first to complain" then I read his second sentence :D His last question made me smile too, it's easy Adam, Bomber is so laid back he'll just go with the flow, if thats riding on the rubbishtest track known to man then he'll do it. But if it's not riding he'll probably go with that too. As a fan I sometimes wish he was a little less laid back!

Im somewhat bewildered of some of the comments about Olsen & his team regarding there track preparation. Ole CAN lay a track, look what amazing racing we have seen at Parken. So why do we get such good GPs there & not at Cardiff ? Maybe he is allocated more time. Starman made a good point, saying how it should be packed & waterd sufficiently between each dressing. I personally think the problem at Cardiff & possibly at the weekend is down to humidty

Im somewhat bewildered of some of the comments about Olsen & his team regarding there track preparation. Ole CAN lay a track, look what amazing racing we have seen at Parken. So why do we get such good GPs there & not at Cardiff ? Maybe he is allocated more time. Starman made a good point, saying how it should be packed & waterd sufficiently between each dressing. I personally think the problem at Cardiff & possibly at the weekend is down to humidty

It doesn't matter if it is down to time or humidity.When he takes the job on he knows how much time he is going to get and he also knows he has no control over the weather.It isn't good enough with 55,000 punters paying up front to just take a suck it and see attitude.Hope for the best.Hw about the fans saying i'll pay a tenner up front and if the track/meeting turns out ok i'll send the rest in the post

Anyway,as has been said plenty of times I think the track was just the icing on the cake.The poor ref and the faulty start gate(which was also supplied by Olsen.......too cold,has been suggested there)the main cause i'd suggest

Edited by iris123

Thanks for the compliments, but im right, and im right about the start gate, see my earlier post. Tell me, where is Parken ?

Thanks for the compliments, but im right, and im right about the start gate, see my earlier post. Tell me, where is Parken ?

Parken, Copenhagen Denmark

Parken, Copenhagen Denmark

And what Nationallity is Ole Olsen ?