British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Cant believe this thread is still running?

Its obvious as to why the meeting was stopped yet some still cant or refuse to see it.

The riders are simply a disgrace to the sport for getting it stopped

I truly believe if we had no isue with the starting gate the meeting would have carried on.

Look at the reports form Lynn where quite clearly riders were lifting after hitting a rut and losing positions. This is sppedway not riding round on a billiard table. Cant see anybody saying that Lynn should have been called off.

As i say i await to see what happens at Cardiff as that notoriously cuts up pretty badly. I can name plenty of incidents at Cardiff where the track has caused problems. Anyone remember Crump collecting 2 ruts on the last corner AND straight and he bounced off the fence almost collecting Nicholls?

This is a hard and dangerous sport and we are grateful thes boys put on a show for us, but do we all want to see follow my leader on nice smooth slick tracks?

Im sure the riders of yester year, Collins , Morton even more recently Loram, are finding the whole thing quite pathetic

Completely agree with this. Part of the skill of a rider for me is their ability to pick which bits of the track they ride on and have the ability to turn the throttle both ways, as needed. The latest high-revving engines don't help admittedly but you could see on saturday who were racing and who were struggling. This fashion for right leg lifting also makes the bike much less stable and prone to lifting our of control. As Gavan says, top class ex-riders have commented on the track and it's comparison to tracks when they rode - it's simply speedway and ruts, deep surfaces etc. have always been part of it. Maybe some riders should think how dangerous it is when they fence, turn left, or ride into opponents - as Batchelor clearly did to Pedersen on Saturday but got away with it - should there be stronger penalties, it's dangerous after all ;)

Maybe its about time we got back to 2-stroke uprights!! :wink:

• Like 1

Im sure the riders of yester year, Collins , Morton even more recently Loram, are finding the whole thing quite pathetic

I suggest you watch the 1984 British Final, when Morton in particular was very vocal about calling the meeting off. And it probably would have been had Kenny Carter not gone against everyone else and said he wanted to ride.

• Like 4

Maybe its about time we got back to 2-stroke uprights!! :wink:

2-stroke uprights ?

2-stroke uprights ?

Yeah. The FS1-E Challenge Cup would be a good one to start on.

Cant believe this thread is still running?

I truly believe if we had no isue with the starting gate the meeting would have carried onc

But there was an issue with the starting gate. There was also an issue with the track and an issue with poor refereeing. You can't separate one from another and say what if?

You are losing sight of the fact that even if the full 23 heats had been run it would still have been a shambles of a meeting probably taking the best part of 4 hours to complete, on a deteriorating track, possibly with more crashes and further injuries.

Even if the riders had continued it would still have been an unacceptable standard for a showcase event and there would still be major questions to be asked about the track and general organisational standard. People who were put off the sport by th e cancellation would still be very likely put off if them event struggled on to full distance.

The one good thing that comes out of this is that there is probably ((slightly) more chance of something being done about it.

• Like 1

But the Fizzy was a lay down Grachan - bending the rules again....lol

• Like 1

I suggest you watch the 1984 British Final, when Morton in particular was very vocal about calling the meeting off. And it probably would have been had Kenny Carter not gone against everyone else and said he wanted to ride.

Yes, one of Kenny's finest achievements. It was mainly the wet on that occasion though and even though a lot of the riders didn't like the conditions, it wasn't called off. Alternatively I remember many of the World Finals in the 70s, some at Wembley where everyone was hitting ruts and two-wheeling all over the place but there was no question of a call off.

Edited by SPEEDY69

and of course PC was never the same rider after his injury at cradley in late 1980, a meeting he is adamant should never have gone ahead due to the conditions.

and of course PC was never the same rider after his injury at cradley in late 1980, a meeting he is adamant should never have gone ahead due to the conditions.

It was actually called of earlier in the day and was reinstated at the insistence of the BSPA because time was running out in the season. PC, as you say, effectively had his career ended and Chris Morton also took a knock.

Just to be safe, for certain.

Let's stop altogether.

Shut the whole sport down as it far, far too dangerous.

Then have a laugh at how easy those 18 would find a real job that paid them half as well.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 5

Is that the one where it was atrociuosly wet conditions bordering on waterlogged, and if you went off the line you slid off?

Or was it the one where a couple of riders hit ruts and the one guy who was struggling to stay on had a bad wrist anyway

You cant compere the 2 meetings at all for track conditions. That British Final was far more dangerous than the gp in Warsaw

i have no idea what the conditions were in this meeting. wet or rutty?

• Like 1

Some criticism of BSI and their response, and non existent crisis management. They will have 'get their act together' in the main.

Yup, Olsen clearly being set-up for the fall in the Spar, with only relatively mild criticism of BSI given the circumstances. :rolleyes:

Wonder who the 'blue chip crisis management expert' commenting was?

i have no idea what the conditions were in this meeting. wet or rutty?

Wet, very very wet. The sort of conditions were it is correct to call off a meeting. In those conditions riders can't see, riding blind in mud is very dangerous.

• Like 1

I know what he means