Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
mc1874

What Is The Average Age And Gender Of The British Speedway Fan?

C'mon. You don't think the average speedway fan is a stubborn, miserable and dull 60+ male who drives a Ford, watches pointless and longs for the Bill to return? Sounds pretty spot on to me :D

Ok, I'm going to test this one out:

Stubborn

Alright, you can have that one.

Miserable

And that one

Dull

Not at all... well maybe... sometimes. ;)

60+

Nope

who drives a Ford

Nope

watches Pointless

Yup

and longs for the Bill to return?

The Bill? Utter crap. If only you'd have asked about Juliet Bravo :P

Seriously, though, the sample is far too small to be representative. A sample of 1000 and the results would then be worthwhile.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm going to test this one out:

Stubborn

Alright, you can have that one.

Miserable

And that one

Dull

Not at all... well maybe... sometimes. ;)

60+

Nope

who drives a Ford

Nope

watches Pointless

Yup

and longs for the Bill to return?

The Bill? Utter crap. If only you'd have asked about Juliet Bravo :P

Seriously, though, the sample is far too small to be representative. A sample of 1000 and the results would then be worthwhile.

All the best

Rob

Hang on, are you me? Because I'd answer the same. So we've not decided speedway fans are stubborn, miserable and dull, under 60s males who don't drive Fords, like watching pointless and couldn't care less about the Bill.

Hang on, are you me? Because I'd answer the same. So we've not decided speedway fans are stubborn, miserable and dull, under 60s males who don't drive Fords, like watching pointless and couldn't care less about the Bill.

I'll buy into stubborn. I try my best at miserable and dull, but some people spot a sense of humour and refuse to allow me into the miserable and dull group. Not over 60, and doubtful if I ever will reach it. Had a Ford once, but not for a while, and no plans to go back. Watching Pointless - certainly. Depends which era of The Bill you're talking about. There were some hot ladies in police uniforms over the years...

• Like 1

What is the sport doing to attract younger fans ?

Sod all it would appear. There is no uniformed effort agreed by the BSPA / clubs throughout the leagues to encourage new spectators, it's all too "everyone for themselves" to work.

• Like 1

So the average speedway fan will just have finished their crispy chilli beef bought from Asda whilst watching Pointless on their TV obtained from Argos and will be preparing to feed the fish.

After that they can log in to the forum and put forward a stubborn but polite opinion about Speedway other motorsport and general international affairs.

Not sure if I think its a load of old guff or scarily accurate!!

Scarily accurate in my case. Just read Dog for Fish and that is - - - - me!!! :o

To get some (hopefully accurate) facts can someone come up with a poll on here with anonymous multiple questions categories such as under 25, under 60, over 60 and female, male etc etc ?

Another related question I have always wanted an answer to is why are we never given meeting attendance figures, or shouldn't I ask :nono: ?

TAX purposes I would guess. :shock: :shock: :shock::nono: :nono:

Edited by The White Knight

60+...yes

Stubborn no but inflexible maybe

Miserable no but often frustrated

Ford driver...no

Dull...hopefully not but possibly predictable

The Bill and Pointless no...Messiah and The Chase yes

Am I a typical British speedway fan?.

60+...yes

Stubborn no but inflexible maybe

Miserable no but often frustrated

Ford driver...no

Dull...hopefully not but possibly predictable

The Bill and Pointless no...Messiah and The Chase yes

Am I a typical British speedway fan?.

Yes.and possibly even a member of the BSPA, never answering the real question :wink:

Yes.and possibly even a member of the BSPA, never answering the real question :wink:

???

???

Sorry, only looking at the humorous side of it with some of the answers straying from the gist of the original question.

To be honest I have no idea of the average age of the British speedway fan. From the few EL meetings I watched on Sky, there seemed to be 6 men and a dog in attendance. Looking around me in Cardiff last July most seemed younger than me, though i did not notice many youngsters. This could be because I was up the cheap seats reserved for us old farts,

I've been going to edinburgh for 30 years now since I was 6months lol. Over these years I've seen many of the same faces for the that time. Very loyal and passionate fans. I was just wondering what is the general age and gender profile of speedway fans? What is difference from club to club? Are we doing enough to attract younger fans or fans who have not been brought up with the sport. Just a general wondering

After this thought provoking post by mc 1874 and the many amusing replies I tried to contact admin to see if a poll could be set up to get some solid percentage figures but I haven't been able to get a response.

I decided to do a survey of members profiles on a forum (not this one) where 714 members stated their age. The results only show the age percentages of speedway supporters who signed up to the particular team forum and not necessarily attending meetings, but its a rough guide until better figures appear.

Up to age 20 5.2%

Age 21 to 40 33.7%

Age 41 to 60 44.7%

Age 61 plus 16.4%

After this thought provoking post by mc 1874 and the many amusing replies I tried to contact admin to see if a poll could be set up to get some solid percentage figures but I haven't been able to get a response.

I decided to do a survey of members profiles on a forum (not this one) where 714 members stated their age. The results only show the age percentages of speedway supporters who signed up to the particular team forum and not necessarily attending meetings, but its a rough guide until better figures appear.

Up to age 20 5.2%

Age 21 to 40 33.7%

Age 41 to 60 44.7%

Age 61 plus 16.4%

I think that there is a way to set up a Poll on here - but I haven't a clue how to do it.

Perhaps one of the Mods or someone with more knowledge than I could oblige. I think it could be interesting.

• Like 1

I think that there is a way to set up a Poll on here - but I haven't a clue how to do it.

Perhaps one of the Mods or someone with more knowledge than I could oblige. I think it could be interesting.

I contacting a member of admin and had a reply asking for more details on 15th December to which I replied but since then nothing.