British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Short Track In Spain

A major short track (cum dirt track cum flat track, whatever you want to call it) meeting takes place in Barcelona, Spain this weekend. International riders are involved.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/10/superprestigio-dirt-track-ii-race-preview-from-palau-sant-jordi-barcelona-spain/

British riders are involved in the event which is expected to attract "a sell out attendance." :cheers:

Edited by Guest

Going to Spain this weekend for my first full flattrack meeting. Usually not a big fan of shorttrack/flattrack classes at grasstrack/speedway meetings but this event sounds good, some realy big names in it as well :t:

Going to Spain this weekend for my first full flattrack meeting. Usually not a big fan of shorttrack/flattrack classes at grasstrack/speedway meetings but this event sounds good, some realy big names in it as well :t:

The sad thing Dutchgrasstrack is what we se in Europe as dirt track/flat/short track takes place on the "wrong type" of track for the formula. As you doubtless know, in the USA there are specially designed tracks for the class and which is by a very long stretch far more popular in regard to competitors, spectactors, tracks and sponsorship than that afforded to USA speedway racing.

I hope you have an enjoyable time in Barcelona and I look forward to observations on here when you have returned home.

5 British Championship runners taking part in the open class with current British Champion Tim Neaves, brother and title contender until the last race of the season Tom Neaves, 4 times British Champion Aidan Collins, talented youngster Oliver Brindley along with experienced Kawasaki team mate .Alan Birtwhistle. Guy Martin also takes part in the open class having won the restricted class at Kings Lynn earlier this year. These riders have come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of years and while they may not be on a par with the top Americans they are some of if not the best short track riders in Europe.

The Americans and European flat track regulars are competing on different wheel sizes and tyres than they are used to so might take a few races to adapt fully although you can still expect the two last American Champions to be a cut above the rest.

With more and more top Road Racers using flat track for training and the British Championship being the best in Europe this sport is really starting to find it's feet over here. Record entries for meetings this year and already many more riders getting machinery ready for 2015 it looks like being a great season.

Gustix is part right about the tracks although the short track seen here and in the USA isn't as different as the picture he paints they do also have much larger tracks which tend to be at car or horse racing venues. The sport is similar to Speedway over there in that it just isn't getting the spectators or press coverage that it once did but is just a fantastic spectacle.

Well what can I say... it was a fantastic event! Great racing and a big crowd, 9000 people according to a press release. Will definitely pop back to Barcelona again next year.

16 year old Brit Oliver Brindlay came 6th in the superfinal after being taken all the way to the fence in the first corner. This against some of the worlds very best motorcycle racers, qualifying for that final is in itself a fantastic achievement but he is on the pace as well. Great ride from the youngster and believe me he has the talent and attitude to become a top motorcycle racer no matter what sport he chooses.

Marquez looks like becoming one of the all time greats and appears to be blindingly quick on any sort of bike.

Found a video of the final here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ldNazkMIU

Well what can I say... it was a fantastic event! Great racing and a big crowd, 9000 people according to a press release. Will definitely pop back to Barcelona again next year.

How does the flat track racing compare in regard to spectacle and action with speedway?