British Speedway Forum

Ricky's Big Day. Benefit Meeting.

Great to see Ricky waving to the crowd on his parade laps.

The last time I had seen him was that fateful night at Scunthorpe.

Congratulations to all involved for yesterday, a great way to start the new season.

Can only echo what everyone has said about the meeting and all involved. Just goes to show how much everyone cares in this sport of ours.

I was particularly impressed with Steady and the way he handled himself racing, on his victory laps and on the mic after the trophy presentation, he sure did Ricky proud :-)

• Like 3

Having alerted viewers to Ricky's meeting I hope ITV Calender News carry a report on tonight's programme.

Absolutely packed - Much better turn-out than PLRC - Great stuff

I'd guesstimate around 3k, could be more as I didn't venture inside any of the bars or the restaurants, but from my viewpoint they looked full

Edited by full-throttle

A massive pat on the back to everyone involved in 'Ricky's Big Day', enjoyable day from start to finish.

The rock band, Ricky's emotional lap of honour in the open top car, Screeny's wheelies, the meeting itself flowing smoothly with the F2's & 125's filling the gaps - it all worked really well.

Plenty of cash was raised in the after-meet auction in the Panorama Rooms too, all played out in the presence of Ricky & his family. Terrific gesture by Steady with the winning bid, £250, for his own racejacket. And fair play to Nigel Pearson shelling out plenty for Darcy Ward's racesuit (an irony not lost on many who watch Sky!) but all in good humour, very generous for a brilliant cause.

Was great to see so many fans from tracks near & far, wouldn't argue with crowd estimates previously posted. Lots of riders too who weren't racing in the meeting but were there to support Ricky. Special atmosphere all day long. Definitely a speedway occasion I won't forget in a hurry!

• Like 4

Plenty of cash was raised in the after-meet auction in the Panorama Rooms too, all played out in the presence of Ricky & his family. Terrific gesture by Steady with the winning bid, £250, for his own racejacket. And fair play to Nigel Pearson shelling out plenty for Darcy Ward's racesuit (an irony not lost on many who watch Sky!) but all in good humour, very generous for a brilliant cause.

I bet Nigel hasn't taken it off yet!

Glad to hear that plenty of the other items sold too - wish I could have stuck around for more of the auction!

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed myself , riders gave their all , cant ask for more than that . Track looked excellent and the meeting was run brilliantly . Well done to all concerned . Was great to see such a huge turnout and the mix of fans from everywhere was good to see . Simon Stead even splashed out £250 to buy his racejacket at the auction , top bloke

• Like 7

Well done great day out, good that Stead won it, a team mate of Rickys in that first great 2002 season.

I bet Nigel hasn't taken it off yet!

Glad to hear that plenty of the other items sold too - wish I could have stuck around for more of the auction!

Hi , I was stood right next to you when you purchased the Ricky Ashworth Bike Covers - delighted you got them and had a safe journey home , I had a superb day and seeing Ricky in the car and speaking to his dad in the Panorama Bar was humbling , weather was great , the riders all played there part and I thought I had the winning bid of £200 for the Race Jacket signed by all the riders but was delighted it squeezed another £10 and every penny counts , wasn't going to deny Stead his race jacket back ! and the daughter is delighted that I purchased her the Auty Race Jacket as she quite a fan .... got home gone midnight with a smile still on my face , the Speedway community did Ricky proud - was a truly superb day organised by Julie Reading etc who deserve all the praise in the world for there dedication and effort to have got this meeting on and for it to have gone as smoothly as it did - Many Thanks from Chris and Lauren Rigby to Julie -

• Like 4

I'd guesstimate around 3k, could be more as I didn't venture inside any of the bars or the restaurants, but from my viewpoint they looked full

That 3k attendance was excellent by today's speedway gates. Well done everyone who attended the event.

At Newcastle's Speedway Supporters Club's Meet the Rider night on Sunday night, we raised £200 for Ricky's Fund from donations.

• Like 7

I had an absolute blast at the meeting yesterday, and a great way to start the new season for me. It was ace to catch up with speedway friends again too after a long winter, in the New Barrack Tavern beforehand and in the stadium.

And i was chuffed to do my bit by winning Rory Schlein's race jacket in the auction afterwards. That'll get hung up on the wall tomorrow. :t:

• Like 2

What a great day,once again the speedway family showed how it should be done. When Ricky came round on his last lap of Owlerton it brought a tear to the eye of a lot of people. The meeting itself was run brilliantly all the riders gave it a real go. Very entertaining. Steady looked the real deal. back to is best on that showing. Good luck Ricky to you and all your loving family. Keep fighting we will all be thinking of you. Once a Tiger always a Tiger.

• Like 7

Hi , I was stood right next to you when you purchased the Ricky Ashworth Bike Covers - delighted you got them and had a safe journey home , I had a superb day and seeing Ricky in the car and speaking to his dad in the Panorama Bar was humbling , weather was great , the riders all played there part and I thought I had the winning bid of £200 for the Race Jacket signed by all the riders but was delighted it squeezed another £10 and every penny counts , wasn't going to deny Stead his race jacket back ! and the daughter is delighted that I purchased her the Auty Race Jacket as she quite a fan .... got home gone midnight with a smile still on my face , the Speedway community did Ricky proud - was a truly superb day organised by Julie Reading etc who deserve all the praise in the world for there dedication and effort to have got this meeting on and for it to have gone as smoothly as it did - Many Thanks from Chris and Lauren Rigby to Julie -

Great stuff, glad you got Josh's race jacket :) I agree, it was an absolutely brilliant and very memorable day!