British Speedway Forum

Ricky's Big Day. Benefit Meeting.

Brought a tear to my eyes watching the video, but what an inspiring character Ricky's dad is. Will never forget the tragic evening at Scunthorpe, & will definitely be at Sheffield for his testimonial. Can somebody post the various sponsorship packages available if they are sorted please ?

Yep really good video, and i really do hope the riders and fans turn out for this. Its a real deserved cause. Chin up Ricky boy, the only way is up mate.. :t:

A very moving video and one which make you realise the price that sometimes these lads pay to entertain us, the danger are always there lurking in background.

The speedway community are very good at pulling together so hopefully riders, fans and Promoters can all come together and make the day a very special day to celebrate Ricky's career and make some much need cash for Ricky and his family to make their lives a little more easier, I think it the least we can all do.

For Ricky keep fighting lad you are an inspiration to us all,

• Like 4

I'd already booked the Garrison Hotel over a week ago for Ricky's Testimonial before seeing the video. But seeing it the other morning before work just makes me more determined to make the drive down.

I hope this meeting raises a ton of money for Ricky and family, to do all the things they need to do to the house for him etc. It's going to be an emotional day for sure...

• Like 3

I'm not sure what the spectator capacity is at Owlerton Stadium - but I think they'll need an extension for this event, and even then it should be packed to the rafters. If you can only afford to get to one meeting during 2015 - make it this one!

Maximum respect to the Ashworth family..............

• Like 7

I'm not sure what the spectator capacity is at Owlerton Stadium - but I think they'll need an extension for this event, and even then it should be packed to the rafters. If you can only afford to get to one meeting during 2015 - make it this one!

Couldn't agree more

Agree, would like to see the back straight terrace open and full for this one.

Edited by Tigerite
  • Like 2

Agree, would like to see the back straight terrace open and full for this one.

It would show how great the speedway world is

I work with ABI everyday and it puts enormous pressure on not only the injured but family aswell... Hope this is well supported and used to flag up Accuired brain injury in this country, as it very often slips under the radar. Keep fighting Ricky lad, love the fact you wont have a chair or stair lift, :) and hats off to you're folks.

Hope the day is a tremendous success.

That bit made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Just shows what this lad is made of, inspirational stuff.

Agree with you hope the day is a massive success.

I'm not sure what the spectator capacity is at Owlerton Stadium -

Im sure the heath and saftey exec will tell them !! But i hope for once they are a little lenient, with a proviso the club employ, take on a satifactory amount of stewards..

• Like 1

Im sure the heath and saftey exec will tell them !! But i hope for once they are a little lenient, with a proviso the club employ, take on a satifactory amount of stewards..

Happened at Reading for the World Cup Final in 2006. The (normally closed) back straight stand was reopened with dedicated stewarding and a strict capacity limit

Happened at Reading for the World Cup Final in 2006. The (normally closed) back straight stand was reopened with dedicated stewarding and a strict capacity limit

Let's hope that it can happen at Sheffield then. Particularly in these circumstances.

We must give you life

We prayed that you might live

Now we must give you life

There will be those bearing gifts greater than mine

But I will play for you on my drum

My gift lays within these lines

There is no other place

One can be

But at your side now

There are no other commitments

Anyone can have now

But to be there with you

Before that day

On that day

And thereafter

It is a matter of pride

That each and everyone of us

Stand by you now

You are the one

Who entertained us

We were your audience

The wheel has turned

Now we must perform for you

We cannot disappoint you

We cannot let you down

We cannot stand aside

And watch you drown

We cannot simply forget you

Turn our backs and walk away

It is a matter of our honour

That we help you find your space

That you would come back to us

The same as you were

It is now given to all of us

To take you where you want to be

There are those whose gifts

Will be greater than mine

All of us can give you

Some of our time

Those who watched you

Those who rode with you

None of them have a reason

To be somewhere else

All of us are responsible for you

All of us have an obligation

To rise to the occaison

When called on to do so

Champions of Speedway

Where will you be on that day

It is a matter of pride

It is a matter of our honour

That we give you the space

That you might recover

The best of you

That you will walk with us again

As you did once before

There may be a promoter who owes a rider something

A debt that can never be repaid

There maybe a rider who did something they regret

They can bever take back

We can atone for what we have done

By helping another

Someone that you would call a brother

Now we must give you life

You have lit a torch to guide us

Your song has struck a chord

In all of us

Some will bear gifts

Greater than mine

But I will play my drum for you

My gift is in these lines

Recorded Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uNCNn40VT4

Edited by Mr. Clemens
  • Like 3

Truly inspiration video and I hope and pray that Ricky continues on the road to recovery , his dad is clearly a proud and superb person who loves his son to the end of the earth and Ricky's fight should be an inspiration to us all

I will be at Sheffield in March and knowing the Speedway Community it will be a superb day

Keep fighting Ricky

Not strictly testimonial related, but there are discussions on the Edinburgh Facebook page for a joint Scottish fundraising day with a charity football match vs Glasgow fans to raise more money for Ricky.

Venue and date to be announced when confirmed.

• Like 1