British Speedway Forum

Ricky's Big Day. Benefit Meeting.

After seeing the result from Anfield I`m sure Ricky will be cock-a-hoop tonight, I hope Owlerton is filled to busting tonight and enough money is raised to make Ricky`s continued recovery that bit easier.

Edited by screm

Absolutely packed - Much better turn-out than PLRC - Great stuff

Any estimate of the attendance please?

Looking at photo`s on social media Owlerton looks packed. :approve:

• Like 3

wish i could have made it down

the video posted at the start of thread is a bit upsetting but seeing rickys face light up when they talk about the football on the xbox gives hope that he may improve a bit more as he obviously is aware of whats going on

Well someone should say it:

Bloody good meeting, well organised, congratulations all round - I suspect that an impressive sum was raised.

• Like 6

Have to agree arnieg, even the youngsters on the 125's put on a good show and I hope young Harry McGurk is fully recovered after his fall on the third bend in the last of the heats. Plenty of effort by most of the riders tonight made it a good meeting and from the crowd around where I was everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Glad to say though that Ricky is still the track record holder and I can't see that being bettered in the foreseeable future!

Ricky Ashworth, Owlerton Track record holder, Sheffield Legend!

• Like 1

Cracking meeting with all of the riders putting on a great show for a true racer that Ricky was, and I hope he enjoyed the meeting as much as the crowd did.

Lets hope that the money raised was enough to make Ricky's and his wonderful family much more comfortable.

• Like 6

Any estimate of the attendance please?

No idea Gustix, I guess the Sheffield fans might have a better idea.

But the place was packed.

Great to see.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Great to see.

All the best

Rob

Difficult one to estimate, as all the bars were open, so standing on the terraces was difficult to estimate, but I would make a conservative guess of around 3,000 but could have been more.

Agree with whats been posted so far, bloody great meeting! I knew it would be packed, but certainly didnt expect it to be as packed as it was.. I think 3,000 is a tad low, i'd say more 3,500+ with not only the terraces full but the bars looked it too.

Seeing Ricky come out to that applause was brilliant, couldn't imagine how he would of been feeling. Great to see the speedway community (riders, fans, sponsers etc) pull together for this one and i'd imagine ALOT of money was raised for him.

Once again, Steady showing he is the boss round Owlerton. If he can beat 2 GP boys (1 ex of course) in the final the way he did and win by such a margin, then some PL teams are in for some hammering's this season!

Wouldn't say the racing was breathtaking, but that wasn't the point of the meeting, and I'm sure everyone enjoyed it as much as myself. Was great to see some top elite riders their along with the premier boys. Seeing screenie doing the wheelie challenge too, one of my favourites riders growning up, was icing on the cake.

Well done all round i'd say!

• Like 1

Great to see.

All the best

Rob

It's hard to judge the crowd at Owlerton when the Sportsman, Hare and Hounds and Panorama room are open, but certainly looked up there with one of the biggest crowds since we had the World Cup in 2002 when the backstraight stand was open.

As for the event, Speedway in my opinion gets so many things wrong, but yesterday speedway got it right !!! Great riders, great track, great racing, great crowd, great atmosphere and all for a great bloke !!! Big well done to all involved !!!

Edited by Tigerite
  • Like 9

What an absolutely brilliant day! It was fantastic to see so many fans come together to raise money - I reckon a lot was raised and I hope it's enough to make a big difference.

The atmosphere was great throughout, but the applause when Ricky came out at the start is something that will really stick with me. Being a Lakeside / Kent supporter I'm not a PL regular but in some ways that's what made the whole thing so special - fans and riders from all parts of the speedway family coming together.

It was my first visit to Owlerton, and I must say it's quite possibly my favourite track that I've visited (besides my home tracks of course!). Facilities, presentation, track, racing - all excellent. Although having bags searched and hearing all the shouting about standing in the yellow area was a bit unusual!

A special mention for Stead, who was incredible last night!

I was pleased to get a set of Ricky's bike covers in the auction after the meeting - it's something a bit different in the collection as I tend to pick up a race jacket at the Ben Fund meetings. Ideally I would have stuck around to see what else sold and for how much but I had a long drive home. Did anyone stick around for the whole thing? Are many of the items going on eBay or did a lot of the items sell last night?

• Like 2

Great Stadium

Great Track

Great Riders

Great Crowd

and One Legend of Owlerton Ricky :t: (still fastest man in British Speedway)

Was chuffed to bits to see him at this meeting and the entertainment that was put on was superb.

Loved watching the 125cc boys doing some races dont get to see them often, some great potential there. Bit disappointed in the F2 bikes they sounded terrible and looked hard to control.

Had a long drive home afterwards so left right after last race. Hope the after meet events went well.

Had a brillant day, good crowd, fab racing & just loved the 125s. And all for such course