British Speedway Forum
stratton

Kenny Carter Dvd.

I have just finished watching the Kenny Carter DVD, a must for any speedway fan.Superb comes to mind i really enjoyed watching it and it brought back some great memories say what you want the bloke was some rider.But it was worth 16 pounds alone,just to see the two golden helmet match races at Halifax between Carter and Lee. Lee on that day was unbelievable he made Carter look like a novice,well done Tony Mac and his team a great watch and all fans should get.

• Like 1

Have to say I'm tempted by this (and also the mort and shooey ones). Is there any footage of his blrc victories?

KC was the best rider I saw round hyde rd in the 80s bar none, but certainly a polarising figure. If social media had been around in the 80s he may have broken the internet.

• Like 2

Have to say I'm tempted by this (and also the mort and shooey ones). Is there any footage of his blrc victories?

KC was the best rider I saw round hyde rd in the 80s bar none, but certainly a polarising figure. If social media had been around in the 80s he may have broken the internet.

He certainly was one of the best i see ride at Hyde Rd but i believe PC and Olsen were the best i ever saw at Hyde Rd.Shame there was not much footage of the BLRC but some great footage at the shay his great win over Nielsen in the helmet well worth getting the quality is decent as well.

I have just finished watching the Kenny Carter DVD, a must for any speedway fan.Superb comes to mind i really enjoyed watching it and it brought back some great memories say what you want the bloke was some rider.But it was worth 16 pounds alone,just to see the two golden helmet match races at Halifax between Carter and Lee. Lee on that day was unbelievable he made Carter look like a novice,well done Tony Mac and his team a great watch and all fans should get.

On his day Michael Lee was a very good rider. When he rode for us every week he would toy with riders and take them like they were stood still, sometimes coming from last to first in 4 laps.

I remember him once playing with Mitch Shirra for 3 laps and taking him like he was stood still.

Edited by Starman2006

On his day Michael Lee was a very good rider. When he rode for us every week he would toy with riders and take them like they were stood still, sometimes coming from last to first in 4 laps.

I remember him once playing with Mitch Shirra for 3 laps and taking him like he was stood still.

If he had gone to Poole earlier that might of prolonged his career who knows? when the new tape rule came in that was it for him he was a marked man.
  • Like 1

If he had gone to Poole earlier that might of prolonged his career who knows? when the new tape rule came in that was it for him he was a marked man.

Remind me, what tape rule was that? He did most of his winning from the back ..

Not touching the tapes after the green light came on. In fairness, Michael Lee wasn't the only the only one the authorities were after. Erik Gundersen was a target as well.

• Like 1

Erik Gundersen endured about 40 tape exclusions in '84, and that was just BL competition. Didn't half knock his average about.

Mr bigger than the sport Ebdon in my view was totally useless! and Eglese totally f...ed Mike Lee 's career bigtime.
  • Like 1

Aye, and at that rate, those 40 exclusions amounted to over one a match even if he did a full programme! Erik still amassed enough points to achieve an average of over 9 points a match. Shows what a class act he was back then.

It wasn't really a bad rule to bring in at the time though. Some matched in 1983 descended into farce with certain riders' tactics at the starting gate. Neil Evitts was one in particular. Although he went from No7 to third heat leader at Birmingham that year, we had to endure some interminable b*ggering about at the tapes from him that season. He just didn't need to do it. All he did was put himself at a disadvantage as the referee would let him nudge the tapes twice and generally let them go up when he was rolling backwards from them the second time.

It was a shame for Michael Lee though, as he enjoyed something of a renaissance at Wimbourne Road, going from speedway's Public Enemy Number 1 to basking in the sort of popularity he amassed in his first three to four seasons after he exploded onto the scene at the beginning of 1975. But by the beginning of '84 it was starting to unravel again, and as John Berry wrote in his first book, Mike was largely out of control by then, as he had fallen in with the wrong and totally inappropriate crowd. A great shame, as he and Kenny Carter could have carried the British flag in World Speedway for years ahead. Both terribly flawed characters, but immensely exciting to watch on their day.

Edited by Leicester Hunter

Aye, and at that rate, those 40 exclusions amounted to over one a match even if he did a full programme! Erik still amassed enough points to achieve an average of over 9 points a match. Shows what a class act he was back then.

It wasn't really a bad rule to bring in at the time though. Some matched in 1983 descended into farce with certain riders' tactics at the starting gate. Neil Evitts was one in particular. Although he went from No7 to third heat leader at Birmingham that year, we had to endure some interminable b*ggering about at the tapes from him that season. He just didn't need to do it. All he did was put himself at a disadvantage as the referee would let him nudge the tapes twice and generally let up go when he was rolling backwards from them the second time.

It was a shame for Michael Lee though, as he enjoyed something of a renaissance at Wimbourne Road, going from speedway's Public Enemy Number 1 to basking in the sort of popularity he amassed in his first three to four seasons after he exploded onto the scene at the beginning of 1975. But by the beginning of '84 it was starting to unravel again, and as John Berry wrote in his first book, Mike was largely out of control by then, as he had fallen in with the wrong and totally inappropriate crowd. A great shame, as he and Kenny Carter could have carried the British flag in World Speedway for years ahead. Both terribly flawed characters, but immensely exciting to watch on their day.

I do think though both Carter/Lee were both mega professional riders,they loved there speedway I know Lee had a few bad days but overall

turned up had professional gear( his dad was great for him )

• Like 2

I think Carter was certainly the best visiting rider I saw at Hyde Road...until Gundersen maybe.....firstly it was Olsen, then Carter came along, then Gundersen.....they were definitely the best 3 visitors to Hyde Road in their eras in my view.

I agree that the tape touching rule accounted for Lee though...he was a super fast rider, he could definitely pass, but some of his starting was basically cheating, but that was the era I suppose..but he was worse than most I think .....the final straw was that Test match on TV against USA when Frank Ebdon stopped every start Lee did causing Lee to storm out of the meeting...I do wonder if he'd stayed around whether he'd have mastered the new starts like Gundersen did....I'm sure with his talent he would have done but there were other things going on in his life as well I suppose.

I think Carter was certainly the best visiting rider I saw at Hyde Road...until Gundersen maybe.....firstly it was Olsen, then Carter came along, then Gundersen.....they were definitely the best 3 visitors to Hyde Road in their eras in my view.

I agree that the tape touching rule accounted for Lee though...he was a super fast rider, he could definitely pass, but some of his starting was basically cheating, but that was the era I suppose..but he was worse than most I think .....the final straw was that Test match on TV against USA when Frank Ebdon stopped every start Lee did causing Lee to storm out of the meeting...I do wonder if he'd stayed around whether he'd have mastered the new starts like Gundersen did....I'm sure with his talent he would have done but there were other things going on in his life as well I suppose.

Ebdon was a joke and i went to Oxford,Reading along with Swindon most weeks and he managed to ruin quite a few night outs. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Erik Gundersen endured about 40 tape exclusions in '84, and that was just BL competition. Didn't half knock his average about.

I didn't think tape exclusions counted as a ride or to the averages??

Might be wrong though!

Edited by BWitcher