British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

2nd Coventry Storm Signing As Shuttleworth Snapped Up

COVENTRY Storm have made their second new signing for the 2015 campaign with Rob Shuttleworth joining the club.
The 21-year-old from Cumbria is a former motocross rider who spent his debut National League season with Stoke this year after previously impressing in the Northern Junior League.
He achieved a 3.75 average with the Potters and is now looking forward to continuing his development with the City Gearboxes Storm.
Shuttleworth joins fellow newcomer Darryl Ritchings as a confirmed starter for the Storm, who like many of their rivals have had to make several changes due to rider progression and the reduced 36-point limit for team-building.
Manager Laurence Rogers said: “With a more restrictive limit, there were certain riders who we’d flagged up who would possibly fit in, and as it was Rob actually contacted us about joining, and we took things from there.
“Rob came to my training schools the previous year, which wasn’t a short journey for him from Barrow, and I felt back then that he had a lot of ability.
“He lost points this year because of inexperience and one of the things that he’s asked for is to have some advice from a senior rider, because he’s never really had that, and we’ll be looking to put something in place.
“I feel Rob is a rider who could blossom in the right atmosphere, and we will have that atmosphere for him. He’s looking forward to joining a top club, and from our point of view it’s another asset who wants to ride for the Storm and who will fit into our set-up.”
Discussions with other riders are continuing and Rogers is hopeful of naming more members of his side in the near future.

Meanwhile Ryan Terry-Daley, a member of the Storm squad for the last two seasons, is heading in the opposite direction for 2015 as he has agreed a deal to join Stoke.
Edited by Main Man

COVENTRY Storm have made their second new signing for the 2015 campaign with Rob Shuttleworth joining the club.

The 21-year-old from Cumbria is a former motocross rider who spent his debut National League season with Stoke this year after previously impressing in the Northern Junior League.

He achieved a 3.75 average with the Potters and is now looking forward to continuing his development with the City Gearboxes Storm.

Shuttleworth joins fellow newcomer Darryl Ritchings as a confirmed starter for the Storm, who like many of their rivals have had to make several changes due to rider progression and the reduced 36-point limit for team-building.

Manager Laurence Rogers said: “With a more restrictive limit, there were certain riders who we’d flagged up who would possibly fit in, and as it was Rob actually contacted us about joining, and we took things from there.

“Rob came to my training schools the previous year, which wasn’t a short journey for him from Barrow, and I felt back then that he had a lot of ability.

“He lost points this year because of inexperience and one of the things that he’s asked for is to have some advice from a senior rider, because he’s never really had that, and we’ll be looking to put something in place.

“I feel Rob is a rider who could blossom in the right atmosphere, and we will have that atmosphere for him. He’s looking forward to joining a top club, and from our point of view it’s another asset who wants to ride for the Storm and who will fit into our set-up.”

Discussions with other riders are continuing and Rogers is hopeful of naming more members of his side in the near future.

Interesting that he was with Jon Armstrong at Stoke and never had "advice from a senior rider"? Erm.... Are Stoke not a top club??.

Edited by Steeplejack

not a good signing in my opinion,

stoke are a fantastic club should have stayed there for his development

• Like 1

Surprising signing. Not a stand out one for me and stronger riders out there but guess time will tell. Hopefully the top end of our team will be a lot stronger.

Looking like a watered down team / league. Hoping the crowds still turn out as its hardly appealing when you compare to previous years.

Edited by Bees_Man
  • Like 1

Looking like a watered down team / league. Hoping the crowds still turn out as its hardly appealing when you compare to previous years.

Looks far more appealing to me - with the NL returning to what it's really supposed to be about. The best two NL meetings I saw in 2014 were Buxton vs Scunny and Scunny vs Buxton. Two good, competitive meetings between two cracking sets of young riders.

Only went to Brandon for one NL meeting in 2014. May go to quite a few more in 2015.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

I'm looking forward to next year,should be far better racing.it's good to win but I'm looking forward to close meetings and racing next year